FS: Manley Shrimp Preamp

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited October 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
From my personal collection.

This is probably the best all-around preamp that I've had in my rig. Great sound. Detail, bass, soundstaging...has it all in spades. It does not have an overly warm tube signature that calls attention to itself. Also, this is the quietest tube preamp that I've heard. I'm a big fan of Manley gear and this is no exception. IMHO, this is a destination piece. To do signifcantly better, you are looking at 5 figure preamps..

Condition, I can't find a mark on it.....doubt that you could tell it from new. I have the original box and manual and power cord (generic).

Why is it for sale? I'm closing escrow on a Dodd Battery preamp.....and I can't afford to have both. I'd love to put this in the closet but, honestly, my gear hoarding days are done. I've had it for a couple years and in that time, I haven't put much mileage on it.

950, shipped via FedEx Ground to the lower 48.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited October 2012
    Options
    WANT! GLWS Troy. This is truly a keeper at really nice price. Somebody else should own this by the end of the day so I don't go do something dumb. ;)
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Troy,

Which Dodd Battery Pre? The new model or the traditional one with batteries in chassis? Amazingly, the new one sounds even better than the original and the original was the T!ts.

Mike

PS sent you a PM about the Shrimp.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm getting the traditional one.....can't wait.

BDT
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2012
    Options
    It will be so awesome. Wait till you hear how quiet it is. Also, if I remember correctly, the 6922s are dual triodes, and the Dodd only uses one side of each tube, so you can swap them after normal tube life and then literally double the life of each tube. That way you get the most life out of some expensive NOS investments.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Quality preamp; GLWTS.
  • gigbyt
    gigbyt Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Does this pre have a remote?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited October 2012
    Options
    gigbyt wrote: »
    Does this pre have a remote?

I could be wrong but I dont think it comes with a remote, I think the Jumbo Shrimp came with a remote.. It's been a while since I looked at the Manleys..
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited October 2012
    Options
    http://www.manley.com/msp.php
    Is the link to the preamp
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited October 2012
    Options
    ...or if you are too lazy to look....

remoraspam.jpg
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No, this does not have a remote...

BDT
  • gigbyt
    gigbyt Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I dont think it comes with a remote, I think the Jumbo Shrimp came with a remote.. It's been a while since I looked at the Manleys..

Yeah, i checked out their site and saw that the preamp could be upgraded to have a remote and was wondering if this was the case with this one.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited October 2012
    Options
    PM sent.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • TroyD
    edited October 2012
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    PM sent.

PM returned....it would appear that we have a deal!

BDT
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Way to go Jay!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Cool Jay, this was on my radar but since I just plunked down a lot on a new car it came along at the wrong time since fun $$$ has been depleted for the time being. Atleast we'll keep in the RAS family and if you ever sell it I'll be first in line.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Kinda psyched...:cheesygrin:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Damn Jay! Great grab. Can't wait to hear it.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Congrats to you both.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • heiney9
    edited October 2012
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Kinda psyched...:cheesygrin:

I might have some spare tubes for you too, since it uses (2) 12AT7's. :cheesygrin: In fact I have some great tubes for you when you are interested.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Congrats Jay!

As per Jesse's recommendation, I found Mullard CV4024's(12AT7) sounded great in Manley gear, give them a try.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Congrats!!! I always wanted to hear one of them in my system. I did hear them in stock form at Holm Audio local to me on a Manley amp and jospeh audio pulsar speakers and it sounded fantastic!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • heiney9
    edited October 2012
    Options
    ........nm
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm glad someone bought as I would have made the cash crunch I'm in worse if they hadn't :wink:. Nice snag!
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels