Audio GD NFB 1.32

Options
PrazVT
PrazVT Posts: 1,606
edited October 2012 in Going Digital
Hey Guys - hope everyone's doing well. I haven't been on here in a few months - spending time on CP tends to make me buy things & that was tough after a new car purchase - so self imposed hiatus. Now that I've sold my old car ... I can perhaps afford to feed the audio monster a little.

So, I'm pondering a new DAC for the bedroom system and I was perusing Audio GD's site. The 1.32 looks like an interesting ES9018 based DAC - has anyone used it? Thoughts?

Would be used w/ the LSi9 / NAD 375 / SB Touch (coax) and my Win 7 64 / OS X machine (via usb)

Thanks,

Praz
ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
Post edited by PrazVT on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Don't know about that particular model, but I have owned the NFB 3 and liked it alot. I used the coax digital input from my Sonos and it worked well. Their usb seems a tad quirky judging by reviews over at Head-fi, but if your not going to use the usb and just go from your SB to the dac by digital, you'd be pleasantly surprised at the SQ you get for the price you payed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited October 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Don't know about that particular model, but I have owned the NFB 3 and liked it alot. I used the coax digital input from my Sonos and it worked well. Their usb seems a tad quirky judging by reviews over at Head-fi, but if your not going to use the usb and just go from your SB to the dac by digital, you'd be pleasantly surprised at the SQ you get for the price you payed.

Eh, its the Tenor 8022 USB chip that seems to be quirky IIRC. I have the NFB-5 (uses the Tenor 7022) and am LOVING IT!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I would guess that the Sabre chip would be a good match based on the rest of your system. The Wolfson chips they use in some of their other models probably wouldn't fit in quite as well since your system is already fairly laid back. The chip obviously everything, but all else being equal the Sabre will have a mroe neutral sound vs the Wolfson chip which can be warmer.

I think the model you're looking at would be a great choice
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Eh, its the Tenor 8022 USB chip that seems to be quirky IIRC. I have the NFB-5 (uses the Tenor 7022) and am LOVING IT!

The NFB 3 uses the Tenor 7022 it can be really quirky at times.

The Keces uses a Burr Brown and it's been rock solid using the ASIO4ALL plug-in.

FWIW

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • EndersShadow
    edited October 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

The Keces uses a Burr Brown and it's been rock solid using the ASIO4ALL plug-in.

FWIW

H9

May be quirky but the folks with the Tenor 8022 are reporting BSOD when listening to audio in addition to other computer becoming non functional issues....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2012
    Options
    May be quirky but the folks with the Tenor 8022 are reporting BSOD when listening to audio in addition to other computer becoming non functional issues....

Primarily, I'd be using coax w/ the SB Touch. But I may need the USB on the OS X side of my PC (hackintosh - can't get the onboard optical working thus far). I'll google on the USB issues.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • EndersShadow
    edited October 2012
    Options
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Primarily, I'd be using coax w/ the SB Touch. But I may need the USB on the OS X side of my PC (hackintosh - can't get the onboard optical working thus far). I'll google on the USB issues.

You might be ok as most of the USB issues I believe are with Windows 7 folks NOT mac..... there is a thread on headfi about it, look there for the info.
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Okay - good to know. I'd use optical for Windows via the SB X-Fi HD Titanium, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So ..Assimilated's neutral / warm comment makes me think about the KEFs in the living room. While the W4S DAC-1 is a great DAC that reveals all the little details, I've found that on some recordings, it doesn't help w/ the KEFs' innate slight brightness. I've used the W4S w/ the LSi9s and it's a great combo. Perhaps a warmer DAC w/ the KEFs is in order.

Should I be fixated on ES9018 based DACs? I will swap in the DacMagic today and see if it improves at least that aspect of it. When I bought those speakers, I just swapped DACs without comparing them. Otherwise, if you guys have any suggestions on that front, would be great.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

FWIW

H9

Dead Horse, been there done that!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Just an update ..decided to try something new - ordered a Schiit Gungnir DAC to try with the KEFs. I should get it on Wednesday and I'll start burning it in and see how it does in comparison w/ the other two DACs. Figured I'd see how the dual AKM4399 DACs do.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2012
    Options
    so the Schiit DAC arrived today. Just starting the burning in process, so can't make any definitive comments. But pre-burn, a couple of observations:

- lots of bass!
    - the highs are not as harsh as the W4S was on day 1, which means it should only get better.
    - much closer to the W4S than DacMagic detail-wise, and smoothness in between.
    - built like a tank and weighty.

that's it for now ..will leave this with obligatory cell phone pics...

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Congrats man, further observations when you have time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I am going to start a different thread on this as the title is completely misleading at this point

Home Theater:

2 Channel: