to buy or not to buy, that is the question

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Assuming you already have a pair of RT800's for the home theater system and a pair of RT55's for the stereo system, would you buy a pair of RT12's and if so, at what price?

For those of you who don't know, they are a tower speaker from 5 years ago that cost around $750. They use a dome tweeter and dual 6.5" mid/woofers. My dad has a pair and I simply love the sound of them. They're so rich and lush and have such a sweet sound. They put out phenominal amounts of bass. The soundstage is extremely large as well. I have my doubts about the accuracy (coloration) of these speakers, especially the bass, but their sound is oh so enticing.

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    and I simply love the sound of them. They're so rich and lush and have such a sweet sound. They put out phenominal amounts of bass. The soundstage is extremely large as well......but their sound is oh so enticing.

Sounds like you answered your own question Aaron.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • The Darkhorse
    The Darkhorse Posts: 101
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Buy just Buy always Buy, how can you lose? Its more stuff to play with right? Heck yeah BUYBUYBUY :)

The Darkhorse
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    If the price is right, why not??

See the way I look at it is you could use the either the RT12's or the 800's for your fronts, 55's for your rears and the ones that you opt not to use in the HT rig in your 2 ch rig for the time being. That would solve once and for all the sordid tale of your rears.

Personally I would use the RT12's in the 2ch rig.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Well, the guy hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm thinking the deal won't go through. Assuming they are in good condition, the price is definitely right.

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    in your opinion, do the rt12's outplay the 800's??? HT/HS??? never had the chance to demo a set of rt12's
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I did a side-by-side comparison of the RT800's and the RT12's a few years back, but I listen to both of these speakers fairly often since I have the RT800's and my dad has the RT12's. The RT800's tri-lam tweeter is more detailed, but at the same time it's harsher than the dome tweeter in the RT12's. The RT12's put out significantly more bass, but I don't think it's an accurate amount (like hitting the bass boost button). The RT800's bass is also tighter and not as sloppy. The RT12's also have a HUGE sound stage. I guess to summarize, the RT12's are just a fun speaker. They sound warm and lush, and they're very easy to listen to and enjoy. If you're looking for a really accurate speaker, look elsewhere. I think the RT800's are more accurate and overall a little bit better. However, the RT12's can be had very inexpensively on the used market. The pair I was looking at was going for $250! They're worth evey penny of that, to be sure.

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    wow, for $250 it sounds like it would be nice to have them set up for a 2 channel deal... thanks for your thoughts.