The Line

Options
exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited October 2012 in The Clubhouse
This story will never make the news because it's entirely too nice, but it's things like this that can restore one's faith in humanity

http://maysblogs.tamu.edu/ethics/2012/09/27/the-line/

My wife had Dr. Shaub at A&M. This is what she had to say.

"I had Dr. Shaub as one of my audit professors during the summer 2008, he definitely made a mark on me. He was one of the best professors I had, and everyday he would talk about his wife and how she was the most beautiful person in the world (and its not an exaggeration? he would say it everyday). He was not my favorite professor because he was the easiest, far from it. He pushed his students and most of all he cared about every single one of them. He even frequently had students come back to visit him and send him emails. These were students from 1 undergraduate class, not a graduate course, a required undergraduate class for accounting juniors and seniors. He usually invited his students to his house at the end of the semester (yes? even for just an undergraduate class). Unfortunately the semester I had him his wife was going through some serious medical tests (I believe it was for cancer) and so they were not able to host everyone at their house. At the end of the semester (if I am correct) I believe they found that the lump they were worried about and it was non-cancerous. Meanwhile, his son (if I remember correctly) was having vision troubles.

I don?t know if you remember, but he was the professor that Dad, Bradley (her brother) and me were in line behind at the graduation speech that President George H. W. Bush spoke at. During class he had most of our names memorized by the 2nd or 3rd class (a class of at least 25-30) and he said that he probably would remember ours names for years. As a student of A&M with over 40,000 students I?m thinking, no way he's going to remember me (I'm kind of quiet during class and didn't know anyone in my class because the majority of them were class of 2009 PPA students). Well that day waiting in line for the graduation speech he did remember my name, and told me he was proud of me. I was very shocked and felt very proud to have him as a professor.

His family and him will definitely be in prayers, it seems as though no matter what life throws at him he always has a smile on his face and is always grateful for everything God gave him.

Brenda
Proud to be a member of the A&M class of ?08"

Thanks and gig 'em,
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That's a very touching story. Looks like a good man there! As an academic myself, I can tell you that there are very few in the field like him. Brilliant scholars are plentiful! Human Beings. I can count those on one or two hands. And Professors of Accounting? That's not normally a discipline where we find such individuals, which makes it even more impressive.

Thanks for sharing. I wish his wife well!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Impressive! Thanks for sharing.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer