Incredible Win for me to step forward with digital music

Options
grimmace19
grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
Last night I was invited to a special demonstration of the Hegel line of amplifiers at a store called Hear no Evil Hifi in Westminster, Colorado. Although the demo focused on their entire line of amps ranging from the $2000 entry integrated up to their 15k mono blocks, everything was running through the Kef blades and I wanted to give their presentation a look. Hegel did a great job showcasing the changes made by going from a 70 wpc integrated up to a 1100wpc mono block monster and everything they offer in between. All in all, it was a great demo hosted by a great new audio shop.

However, the night got better when the "door prizes" were announced. I was the winner of a brand new Hegel HD11 DAC! A dac is something i've been increasing interested in trying out with my squeezebox as well as my marantz sacd player. At the whopping cost of FREE, this is the perfect way for me to get in the game.

Any suggestions on the most effective hookup via the squeezebox touch? I plan to try and use the app and use the USB out and see how that works for me.
Post edited by grimmace19 on

Comments

• carvcom
    carvcom Posts: 240
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Congrats, nice score!!!
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Congrats, always good when you get the door prize!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited September 2012
    Options
    VERY nice, Congrats Grim!!

I have also been considering going down this road, but for Free, you are a winner!! . . .

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Nick!!!!

Did you take any pics!!! I have been wanting to visit up there for some time now, But audio has taken a back seat to my car this summer so my interest has been on the low side for audio the last few months..
  • grimmace19
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Sorry Larry, no pictures. The shop changes every single time I'm in there. It has easily become my favorite place to visit in the Denver area because of their huge selection. They carry so many different lines of speakers that it makes it a nice mix where you can easily hear bookshelf speakers under a grand to the blades and beyond plus anything in between.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Just hook up any digital cable from the SB to the dac, analog outs to your pre or receiver. USB will take some configuration if your up to it. Congrats....mighty fine door prize.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • grimmace19
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I've had it running for a few hours this morning already. I downloaded the 3rd party app mentioned in another thread that H9 seems fond of :wink: and used USB from the squeezebox into the dac.... HOLY CRAP! I've only been streaming spotify and mog this morning but the improvements are amazing. I can't wait to see what it can do to my cdp and further the squeezebox with a better USB cable (stole the one from my printer).

The only thing I noticed, the DAC is missing one of it's rubber feet. It must have gotten pulled off at the show last night as it's nowhere around my gear where I took it out of the box. Oh well, isolation pads are on the way anyways.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The USB cable is the only cable I have found that gives me no noticeable improvements going from a $6.99 to a $150 cable.

Just get a good $20-$30 cable and call it a day..

Just my .02 and my Opinion..

Pics of the unit??:cheesygrin: I mean the DAC not your unit!!! :redface:
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Congrats. Awesome win!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805, AMP: Parasound Model 2250, Front: Polk RTIA7, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub: Polk DSW PRO660WI
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • grimmace19
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks Larry, I plan to pick up an audioquest forest cable tomorrow from best buy... only 30 bucks and I think I have some reward certificates to use. This dac is amazing... though I don't have any others to compare it to, the improvements so far are astounding.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Congrats!

I found I like running SPDIF from my squeezebox to my DAC than the other connections. Just what I found but you might like something else. I'm running an Audioquest cable right now, sounds great to me.
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Options
    That's awesome!