Polk RT1000i

Options
snyderkv
snyderkv Posts: 14
edited September 2012 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Polk Members,

I always wanted the RT1000i after hearing them in the 90s. They are old but I bet could still hold its own against similiar priced towers.

I wanted to buy these for my father who can't seem to get rid of his 1980s 15" woofer fisher price speakers with 12" UA's stacked on top like a tower of trash from wanabe high school grunge band living in your parents basement.

He argues how hes demo'ed other speakers and can't tell the difference between those and new speakers. But I think he will be blown away by the dynamics of these RT's in his tiny living room without being evicted.

Let me know if you have a new or used pair. I live in San Diego CA

Thanks
Post edited by snyderkv on

Comments

• snyderkv
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Private Message received

Please note that I don't think I can respond to private messages until I have a 10 post count I think.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Having owned these in the past, "dynamic" isn't a word I'd choose to describe these.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I've owned the RT1000i's and the RT800i's and the 800i's are much better speakers. Even the RT55i's would be a better choice IMO. The subs in the 1000i's don't dig deep enough and midrange clarity is somewhat muddied compared to the other two speakers mentioned.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Opinions are all fine and dandy, and if it's RT1000i's you are looking for, (as I think this is a wanted section, not an opinion section) it's the RT 1000i's you should have. I am happy to help you in the search and am waiting on a call from you to confirm. I think the RT 1000i's sound just as you say they do, and my RT2000i speakers sure rock my living room great. I'm sure your dad will love them and thanks for your fast response as well.

TopHat
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tonyb
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I think the RT 1000i's sound just as you say they do,TopHat

Now there's the difference.....you think, we former owners know.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Now there's the difference.....you think, we former owners know.
    ]Thanks
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2012
    Options
    ]Thanks
    And do tell TonyB, how do you feel about my great sounding RT2000i towers?? Are those weak too?? It's all in the ear of the beholder bro!!:cool:
  • snyderkv
    edited September 2012
    Options
    HTguru1982 wrote: »
    I've owned the RT1000i's and the RT800i's and the 800i's are much better speakers. Even the RT55i's would be a better choice IMO. The subs in the 1000i's don't dig deep enough and midrange clarity is somewhat muddied compared to the other two speakers mentioned.

I might almost agree with you if my father was going to use a sub with this system, but he's not and we wouldn't need to as the 1000i bass goes lower than the 800i and has cleaner bass than the 800i from everything that I read.

In any case, these two speakers are using the same technology, tweeter, wood and box dimensions therefore, I wouldn't say with confidence that one blows away the other as you put it. I think these are good enough for my fathers living room that's about the size of a master bedroom.
  • tonyb
    edited September 2012
    Options
    And do tell TonyB, how do you feel about my great sounding RT2000i towers?? Are those weak too?? It's all in the ear of the beholder bro!!:cool:

Never said "weak", just not as dynamic as your eluding to. The 2000's are much better but to my ears still lack dynamics on a big scale. Not a fan of the power ports, or built in subwoofers from that series.....if you can tell. Thats not to say others may like them and obviously some do. So yes, your correct, it is in the ear of the beholder.

For a small to midsize room, the 1000's maybe just fine, but don't expect the built in sub to perform on the level of a stand alone one, or replace the oomph from a couple of 15 inch woofers, isn't going to happen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 823
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I sent the OP over from AVSForum to help in his search.

I've owned everything Polk made in the RT family and think the RT1000's are head and shoulders above many similarly priced speakers. Yes, the RT2000ps and RT3000ps dig deeper. However, please read "tiny living room without being evicted"
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2012
    Options
    rtart wrote: »
    I sent the OP over from AVSForum to help in his search.

I've owned everything Polk made in the RT family and think the RT1000's are head and shoulders above many similar priced speakers. Yes, the RT2000ps and RT3000ps dig deeper. However, please read "tiny living room without being evicted"

Yeah, looks like some people chime in just to chime in around here. Thanks for sending the request here. I have it taken care of and the speakers will ship out to CA on Friday...possibly Thursday. Again, thank you.
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 823
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Glad you got together.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Yeah, looks like some people chime in just to chime in around here.

YOU are totally correct with your "It's all in the ear of the beholder bro!!" comment. that goes both ways for others as well. But please remember this is an audio forum and people have their opinions and are allowed to express them for the most part. I understand nobody likes hearing their baby called ugly. But there is no need for the attitude either!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2012
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    YOU are totally correct with your "It's all in the ear of the beholder bro!!" comment. that goes both ways for others as well. But please remember this is an audio forum and people have their opinions and are allowed to express them for the most part. I understand nobody likes hearing their baby called ugly. But there is no need for the attitude either!
    true dat, have you been wearing that halo since 71?? :razz: Just kidding. lol....couldn't resist!!!
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited September 2012
    Options
    On paper, the RT1000i should top the RT800i but it doesn't, at least it didn't for me. I'm not knocking the 1000i, it's a fine speaker. It's simply bested by its smaller brother IMO. The extra midrange driver really makes all the difference. In any case, for your dad's needs, those RT1000i's should work just fine.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Shipped and on their way to a new home! Hope your dad loves them.
  • draider18
    draider18 Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hello snyderkv and tophatjohnny,

I only recently thought to check the Polk website in order to possibly get some assistance with selling my Polk home theater system, and your thread caught my eye right away. I am currently trying to sell my RT2000's, RT1000's, and CS400, because unfortunately I have had to keep them in storage for the last couple of years and haven't been able to enjoy them. From reading through your post, it sounds like you two have everything handle, and I was just wondering if either of you would be so gracious to give me an idea of what the RT1000's sold for. I am just hoping to get a better idea of a fair price to offer mine for sale. I completely understand if you two would rather not discuss this information, yet I would be grateful for the info if you so choose. If need be, I could give you my email address if that would be better.
    As for some of the other replies on this thread, I think it is important to always keep in mind that no two human beings hear sound in exactly the same way. Some people will stand behind horn tweeters until their last days and other individuals feel like their ears are going to bleed after listening to horn tweets.
    Thanks,
    Dustin
  • wattmeworry
    wattmeworry Posts: 224
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • snyderkv
    edited September 2012
    Options
    draider18 wrote: »
    Hello snyderkv and tophatjohnny,

I only recently thought to check the Polk website in order to possibly get some assistance with selling my Polk home theater system, and your thread caught my eye right away. I am currently trying to sell my RT2000's, RT1000's, and CS400, because unfortunately I have had to keep them in storage for the last couple of years and haven't been able to enjoy them. From reading through your post, it sounds like you two have everything handle, and I was just wondering if either of you would be so gracious to give me an idea of what the RT1000's sold for. I am just hoping to get a better idea of a fair price to offer mine for sale. I completely understand if you two would rather not discuss this information, yet I would be grateful for the info if you so choose. If need be, I could give you my email address if that would be better.
    As for some of the other replies on this thread, I think it is important to always keep in mind that no two human beings hear sound in exactly the same way. Some people will stand behind horn tweeters until their last days and other individuals feel like their ears are going to bleed after listening to horn tweets.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

I'll wait for you to pass the troll test before responding
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2012
    Options
    reported

What????????????????:confused::confused:
  • draider18
    edited September 2012
    Options
    What the heck are you referring to by replying "reported?" I can only venture to assume you're in someway telling on me, and if this is the case all I can say is that is quite sad. I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever have not read all of the terms and agreements of service for using this forum, but if there is any mention of it being a violation and against policy to ask a simple question in order to better educate myself on what I should sell my speakers for then I guess I should be reported by those that feel they must.
  • draider18
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I'm hoping we are on the same page here, and that by passing the Troll Test you're referring to whether I am facing severe punishment for my actions and being reported was the only thing any sane person would do in a similar situation, lol?
  • snyderkv
    edited September 2012
    Options
    What the heck are you referring to by replying "reported?" I can only venture to assume you're in someway telling on me, and if this is the case all I can say is that is quite sad. I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever have not read all of the terms and agreements of service for using this forum, but if there is any mention of it being a violation and against policy to ask a simple question in order to better educate myself on what I should sell my speakers for then I guess I should be reported by those that feel they must.

One post and asking for personal information via private message may raise an eyebrow

MSRP is $900 rt1000i and ~$1700 rt2000i

I guess it won't hurt to say that rt1000i's go for a few hundred. I checked out about 30 reviews or so proving this. These reviews were from the year early 2000 when shops like good guys and circuit city were closing shop or when the model was being phased out. Expect much less than $500 unless they are new in the box.

I've only seen one pair of rt2000i sell which happend to be for $500 bucks. You might get more if they are new in box.

These are 20 year old speakers, my dad gave away his 30 year old speakers, just to give you some perspective.
  • draider18
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I really appreciate your quality information, and I just hate the fact that there are so many sicko's on-line and in general that a harmless question like mine may force people to have to be suspicious from the get go. I thank you for giving me this quality feedback even though you didn't have too. I worked for Circuit City in the late 1990's, and was able to purchase my entire Home Theater system through the manufacture's accommodation programs, so it is nice that I originally paid amounts near what they can sell for. Both my RT1000's and RT2000's are the "p" series, and I just wonder if this is going to hurt or help me sell them. They were obviously more expensive because of the built in power for the subs, but in my experience I have found most aficionados completely abstain from on board amplified tower speakers. Again, thank you for the info, and I hope you father enjoys the RT1000's. Have a great weekend.
  • snyderkv
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I really appreciate your quality information, and I just hate the fact that there are so many sicko's on-line and in general that a harmless question like mine may force people to have to be suspicious from the get go. I thank you for giving me this quality feedback even though you didn't have too. I worked for Circuit City in the late 1990's, and was able to purchase my entire Home Theater system through the manufacture's accommodation programs, so it is nice that I originally paid amounts near what they can sell for. Both my RT1000's and RT2000's are the "p" series, and I just wonder if this is going to hurt or help me sell them. They were obviously more expensive because of the built in power for the subs, but in my experience I have found most aficionados completely abstain from on board amplified tower speakers. Again, thank you for the info, and I hope you father enjoys the RT1000's. Have a great weekend.

FYI, even the newish Polk LSi 25's, Golden Ear Trio's, Martin Logans among many other high end speakers have built in subs. A real audiophile I'd imagine wouldn't discriminate. There is a market for towers with built in subs, infact I prefer it.

The (P) series is lower than the I series and probably won't hurt you since the prices are bottom of the bucket to begin with. I wanted the (i) because I knew they had an upgraded tweeter and real wood veneer instead of laminate or whatever the P's had. Otherwise they are the same.

Good luck.