Music Library

2»

Comments

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited November 2012
    best app for android for what? playback? I typically use Poweramp since it plays all my hi res FLAC files w/o any issues. If you're streaming from your NAS, probably MediaHouse Pro + Poweramp.

I actually just migrated all my blu-ray rips and my FLAC collection to a Synology DS413 NAS (4 x 3TB); it has LMS for the Squeezeboxes, media server, video / audio station for direct streaming, and even supports Airplay via Android.

So +1 for the NAS :)
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2012
    PrazVT wrote: »
    best app for android for what? playback? I typically use Poweramp since it plays all my hi res FLAC files w/o any issues. If you're streaming from your NAS, probably MediaHouse Pro + Poweramp.

I actually just migrated all my blu-ray rips and my FLAC collection to a Synology DS413 NAS (4 x 3TB); it has LMS for the Squeezeboxes, media server, video / audio station for direct streaming, and even supports Airplay via Android.

So +1 for the NAS :)

Playback flac and my ripped uncompressed movies and dvd's
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • PrazVT
    edited November 2012
    Playback flac and my ripped uncompressed movies and dvd's

Connecting to your DLNA server, browsing your media: MediaHouse Pro

FLAC Playback: Poweramp Pro

MKV/M2TS/AVI/MPEG2 (dvd): MX Player or BS Player

You browse in MediaHouse and when you click on a file, it'll ask you which app you want to open the file with.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    THe only problem with Media House is it looks for a server, sense the hard drive is just seen as a shared folder through my router it does not detect it. I am working on a solution for this now.

Over the next week or so I will be doing a complete write up on my story and success with transferring out of itunes. What would be some things you guys would like to know about in the write up?
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I currently have 4 zones of SONOS's in my house. I use my iTunes library shared from my main PC that is always on and rdio.com

It's been working great! rdio.com has 95% of what I want to listen to. what they don't have I have in CD form and I rip it and add it to the library that's on my PC.

...this who thread is about ditching itunes?

Can SONOS stream FLAC?
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2012
    Can SONOS stream FLAC?

Yep.....but it won't do hi-rez files. You can however upsample by any good dac.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yep.....but it won't do hi-rez files. You can however upsample by any good dac.

Yup, its stuck at 44.1/92 but for me personally thats not a problem. All my stuff is that format anyway.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PrazVT
    edited December 2012
    THe only problem with Media House is it looks for a server, sense the hard drive is just seen as a shared folder through my router it does not detect it. I am working on a solution for this now.

Over the next week or so I will be doing a complete write up on my story and success with transferring out of itunes. What would be some things you guys would like to know about in the write up?

Ahh - was under the impression you had a DLNA server running. OK, then use BSPlayer in 'LAN Mode'. You just add the ip of the NAS (and any login required) and you can browse the shared folder(s).

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • transmaster
    transmaster Posts: 428
    edited December 2012
    My library is stored in iTunes _______________:arrowl:insert joke here all in Apple Lossless. With my next purchase being a windows computer I am considering moving it out of iTunes. So I will probably have to convert them too FLAC.
    Am I going in the right direction? Also what is a good music library interface, if I decide to leave iTunes but is similar?

I have 4 terabytes of music so I have been there and done that. You are on track for storage, I would consider network storage or home Cloud Storage which makes your files available in to many other devices through your home network both wired and wireless. But there is no need to convert your collection from Apple Lossless it is a lossless format just like FLAC, and APE. I also have a love/hate relationship with iTunes lately mostly hate. What you want to do is load up MediaMonkey it sync's with iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch, etc so you can manage your local files with it. You will only have to sync with iTunes for purchases, App's, updates, and podcasts exclusive to iTunes. Now for conversions there is really only one in my opinion and the is dbpoweramp http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm I have used it for years. I have used their batch converter to convert as much as 36 gig's worth of music files all at once it is very fast using each core of your CPU to convert an individual file.

Video files; a video card with an HDMI interface can plug right into a modern HDTV. Windows 8 Media center can be used to control things
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited February 2013
    Why bother converting to FLAC? Apple lossless is fine and will work in itunes on Windows. You can get add ons for itunes that will make it sound better.