Music Library

Options
bigaudiofanatic
bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
edited February 2013 in Going Digital
So with my collection totaling over 300 GB's and counting. I am thinking of no longer keeping it directly on my laptop. With my next laptop, I am going Ultrabook and SSD. So I will be much more limited as far as storage is concerned.
I am planning on getting a Drobo for a home based storage. For movies, music and my backup. Here is where my choices open up or become complicated.

My library is stored in iTunes _______________:arrowl:insert joke here all in Apple Lossless. With my next purchase being a windows computer I am considering moving it out of iTunes. So I will probably have to convert them too FLAC. Which I am not sure if I will lose quality.

Here are my goals long term:

Have my library in more than one location and constantly up to date. Preferably one copy on a external hard drive to take with me. And one on Drobo. Maybe even a third as a bi-weekly backup. I want my entire collection with me at all times.

Movies will start being ripped in HD format to Drobo. However what is a good interface for the TV other than apple tv?

I have heard that WD TV Live is one good choice. But I have not searched past that.

Am I going in the right direction? Also what is a good music library interface, if I decide to leave iTunes but is similar?

Some may ask why the sudden change from apple. Simply put I am getting a bad taste from apples attack on Samsung lately. So I am slowly moving away from them.
HT setup
Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
Denon DBP-1610
Monster HTS 1650
Carver A400X :cool:
MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
Kef 104/2
URC MX-780 Remote
Sonos Play 1

Living Room
63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
Polk Surroundbar 3000
Samsung BD-C7900
Post edited by bigaudiofanatic on

Comments

• newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited August 2012
    Options
    300GB of Apple lossless to FLAC conversion? yikes.

hope you have 300GB of freespace on your laptop to direct the new files to.If you have to do it over USB, or god forbid, network, to an external drive, that is going to be miserable. It makes me queazy just thinking about it.

You won't lose quality, btw.

interfaces I really like:
    Boxee
    Popcorn Hour
    Roku
    (in that order)

I love my Drobo, by the way.

I, too, am trying to get away from apple.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited August 2012
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    300GB of Apple lossless to FLAC conversion? yikes.

hope you have 300GB of freespace on your laptop to direct the new files to.If you have to do it over USB, or god forbid, network, to an external drive, that is going to be miserable. It makes me queazy just thinking about it.

You won't lose quality, btw.

interfaces I really like:
    Boxee
    Popcorn Hour
    Roku
    (in that order)

I love my Drobo, by the way.

I, too, am trying to get away from apple.

Luckily I can use Firewire 800 which will make it go by a bit faster. I have been eyeing a Drobo for a few years now. Decided it was time to get one.

The only downside to converting will be my ipods will not be to happy about the converted format.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited August 2012
    Options
    For ease of use and the UI, I would recommend the Roku over the rest, with the inclusion of the Plex channel and a NAS that will run the Plex server. My own personal recommendation (this will come as no surprise to some) would be a ReadyNAS Ultra. Gives you the most bang for the buck when it comes to a NAS--much more processing power, transfer speed and capabilities than the aging Drobo FS.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Funny how you're now abandoning Apple after your infamous 'burning zune' thread. Also funny how other people are moving away from Apple after all my years of constantly bashing them, and now I'm moving towards Apple :-)

If you've got a problem with Apple's 'attack' of Samsung and are leaving them on principle then don't ****-foot around with it and keep your iPods, if you're gonna ditch them then do it right and ditch the iPods as well. I'm going through a similar drill with Samsung right now and am ridding myself of every product I own of theirs, which is not a cheap proposition because I have two plasmas that are going to be expensive to replace with Panasonic. My point is, if you're gonna ditch someone based on principle don't half-**** it, go all the way.

If you're moving to Windows you'll definitely want to ditch iTunes, as it's an absolutely horrid experience on that platform. MediaMonkey and JRiver are two good library tools for Windows. Also since you're no longer Apple there's no point in keeping your music in Apple Lossless. Convert to FLAC and don't look back, dbPowerAmp is a great tool for this but there are others as well.

Syndil is a big fan of Plex, I'm not (we'll not start hashing that out again though). Instead of arguing that I'll just throw out another option or two. So you can go with the Roku and a NAS or computer that will run Plex, OR

Depending on what all you need from a streamer, I'd recommend wither the WD Live or one of the Netgear boxes, as both of those will stream content from any local network drive. The WD will play basically anything you can throw at it but isn't the most stable box with the best UI out there. I've heard the newer firmware updates are much better though and it'll likely work out fine for you. I prefer the interface on the Netgear boxes, but they don't make a box that will handle BOTH online and local streaming. You either get online services like Netflix and Hulu OR you get local content depending on which box you get, but not both. That also is as of about 6 months ago and may have changed. The good thing about either of these options is that they'll play media from any connected network drive, hell maybe even a USB drive, and you don't have to buy a special NAS that runs special software.
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I used to be a big fan of the WD TV stuff, but compared to the current crop of players from Roku and Netgear the UI feels very clunky and dated to me, so I have stopped recommending it, but YMMV.

The Netgear is a good option if you don't mind the either/or situation they put you in that Assimilated mentioned. You either get online streaming or local streaming, but not both in the same Netgear box. If you only want one, however, I would agree the Netgears are a very good choice, and I would even rate their UI slightly better than the Roku's.

However if you want one box that can do it all, the Roku does online streaming, and with the addition of the Plex channel it will also do local streaming. Plex may not be perfect (yet), but I will say that it is open source so it won't be abandoned like Logitech is doing with Squeezebox/LMS, and it is under constant development and improvement, so any bugs found will be squashed relatively quickly. It hasn't reached v1.0 yet but is still very usable. Personally I have very high expectations for Plex. Obviously others do not.

• bigaudiofanatic
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Funny how you're now abandoning Apple after your infamous 'burning zune' thread. Also funny how other people are moving away from Apple after all my years of constantly bashing them, and now I'm moving towards Apple :-)

If you've got a problem with Apple's 'attack' of Samsung and are leaving them on principle then don't ****-foot around with it and keep your iPods, if you're gonna ditch them then do it right and ditch the iPods as well. I'm going through a similar drill with Samsung right now and am ridding myself of every product I own of theirs, which is not a cheap proposition because I have two plasmas that are going to be expensive to replace with Panasonic. My point is, if you're gonna ditch someone based on principle don't half-**** it, go all the way.

If you're moving to Windows you'll definitely want to ditch iTunes, as it's an absolutely horrid experience on that platform. MediaMonkey and JRiver are two good library tools for Windows. Also since you're no longer Apple there's no point in keeping your music in Apple Lossless. Convert to FLAC and don't look back, dbPowerAmp is a great tool for this but there are others as well.

Syndil is a big fan of Plex, I'm not (we'll not start hashing that out again though). Instead of arguing that I'll just throw out another option or two. So you can go with the Roku and a NAS or computer that will run Plex, OR

Depending on what all you need from a streamer, I'd recommend wither the WD Live or one of the Netgear boxes, as both of those will stream content from any local network drive. The WD will play basically anything you can throw at it but isn't the most stable box with the best UI out there. I've heard the newer firmware updates are much better though and it'll likely work out fine for you. I prefer the interface on the Netgear boxes, but they don't make a box that will handle BOTH online and local streaming. You either get online services like Netflix and Hulu OR you get local content depending on which box you get, but not both. That also is as of about 6 months ago and may have changed. The good thing about either of these options is that they'll play media from any connected network drive, hell maybe even a USB drive, and you don't have to buy a special NAS that runs special software.

I still am happy Zune is dead, never liked them.

Anyway, I still have to keep at least one ipod. Simply because being a car audio installer makes me setup systems and test everything. So I usually use a ipod for my tuning list.

Thank you for the good advice about different programs and devices.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited September 2012
    Options

I still am happy Zune is dead, never liked them.

Anyway, I still have to keep at least one ipod. Simply because being a car audio installer makes me setup systems and test everything. So I usually use a ipod for my tuning list.

Thank you for the good advice about different programs and devices.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2012
    Options
    You don't have to use iPod, there are alternatives. If you really have a problem with the company then cut ties with them, otherwise your attempt to 'stick it to the man' is half-**** and you come across **** - I hate it when someone gets all up in arms about something and then doesn't have the conviction to actually completely follow through...

I don't share your opinion of Apple in the Samsung deal, but if I did and felt strongly enough to look at alternatives then you can bet your **** I would not own a SINGLE product from them.
  • Hobbyguy
    Hobbyguy Posts: 317
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Have you considered synology NAS? Expensive but the interface and power/speed is without equal. If you know a little about configuration/protocol you will not find a better NAS (no this is not an ad and I don't work for them). If you can afford it the DS1512 is I think best bang for the buck and again if you can afford it go with an enterprise class hard drive. Synology also has several ipad/iphone apps that let you stream movies/music and view your files. The NAS has software that will let you download torrents, run wikipages, host photoshare...etc.
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hobbyguy wrote: »
    If you can afford it the DS1512 is I think best bang for the buck...

Gonna have to disagree with you there. There was another thread about this already, but the ReadyNAS Ultra series definitely gives you the most bang for the buck. Compare an Ultra 6 to a DS1512--costs less, gives you one more drive bay, still has plenty of CPU power to run apps, of which there are many available.

• Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Did not see that thread....will have to look. Did it also cover unRAID?
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    ReadyNAS has their own patent-pending X-RAID.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=656

• Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Uh....not what I meant.
    Unraid.
    http://lime-technology.com/

Made for digital media....have been wondering about this.
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    "Unraid" is simply marketing speak that Lime Technology has invented to describe their own flavor of RAID, which I would describe as dumbed-down RAID-4. X-RAID provides more flexibility. Synology uses what they call Synology Hybrid RAID, which is similar to X-RAID.

Don't worry about the "made for digital media" claim. Marketing gibberish.

• Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Unraid is for homebuilt NAS devices so I'm not even sure why we're discussing it. If you're buying a Synology or a ReadyNAS or a Drobo (like the OP mentioned) you're not going to have Unraid. No big loss.

Also. looking at the example you linked to, keep in mind that Unraid only supports the loss of a single drive, no matter how large the array. Lose more than one and you have lost data. Using Unraid for an array that large is a Very Bad Idea.

• Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the SAN advice but that is way out of my league.....pretty damn cool though!
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    That was not advice. :P A SAN is cost-prohibitive for many businesses, much less a personal network.

• bigaudiofanatic
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I am liking the boxee all except how time consuming it is to search through your music library. Is there any better ones?

Also internet content is not a must for me as my connection sucks anyway.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Syndil
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Get the Netgear NeoTV 550 then. Cheap, great UI, and will do everything you want. Doesn't do Internet streaming, but if that's not important, I think it's the clear winner.

• bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Converting as I type this. Been playing with media monkey, it isn't bad however is their any other products that are cleaner?
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I've settled on Foobar on my netbook that streams the FLACs from my NAS. I thought it was the cleanest since I just want a program to shuffle my FLAC collection and play them..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I will look into that punk-roc.

A few problems with my conversion last night.

1. Not all album artwork carried over. Only about half did.

2. All songs are now bundled together instead of being in separate artist folders.

3. Failed to transfer some of my AAC's about 30 albums.

4. Have to redo all my favorites and playlists. Unless someone knows another way.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ah, the joys of computer audio.smiley_rotflmao.gif
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Converting as I type this. Been playing with media monkey, it isn't bad however is their any other products that are cleaner?
    JRiver Media Center is excellent. Well worth the $50 price tag. There is a free 30 day trial. I could never go back to Mediamonkey after JRiver.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    Options
    decal wrote: »
    Ah, the joys of computer audio.smiley_rotflmao.gif

LOL I will not lie, breaking from the itunes grip is a PITA however well worth it, giving me much more control over my music.
    98Badger wrote: »
    JRiver Media Center is excellent. Well worth the $50 price tag. There is a free 30 day trial. I could never go back to Mediamonkey after JRiver.

:eek:

I think I found a new hope for my music. Thank you!
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I really like Jriver as well and actually bought it and use it on one computer.. I just didn't like the performance on my netbook and it seemed a little much since I only wanted it to play FLACs on random from my collection haha.
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited November 2012
    Options
    LOL I will not lie, breaking from the itunes grip is a PITA however well worth it, giving me much more control over my music.

:eek:

I think I found a new hope for my music. Thank you!
    I'm curious what 'control' of your music that you did NOT get with iTunes?
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm curious what 'control' of your music that you did NOT get with iTunes?

The ability to use it on any device I wanted because of the encoding Apple lossless. Also being able to have my music on more than one computer without "sharing"
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I just have to say........

I am loving FLAC! Finally able to do everything I was hoping for with itunes but with the freedom to use the devices I wanted. Just transferred my FLAC music collection to my NAS this morning after picking up a 3TB external. I now have the ability to allow anyone in the house to listen to my collection on there tablet, phone, computer, or boxee or other. It is fantastic. To think I can put my entire music and movie collection on my network and sit outside and stream a movie from the NAS.

J river I am completely sold on, with the organization much more powerful that itunes ever was it has taken some getting use too. However finally able to share or access from any hard drive or computers shared music folder is amazing. And to think I am just beginning. When I get my boxee in a few weeks I should be completely set on having the things the way I want.

Still looking for the best app for android.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000