Component Rack; Homemade to the Max!

ruckus1027
ruckus1027 Posts: 61
edited October 2012 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Okay, so was second thinking posting this because it seems very tiny now compared to the other posts on this section, but what the heck.

So I am not a carpenter, maybe just a handy man in it's lowest most generic sense of the word. I did however build a component rack over the weekend. I just recently got into separates, and got caught up with getting deals that I didn't look out for a component rack or somewhere to put these components that just seemed to multiply. Anyway I figured I would build one, and thought I'd share. It's not pretty, in fact probably ugly to most people, but hey I'll take blood, sweat and tears all day over buying (okay maybe it was just sweat this time around :cheesygrin:). Spent a couple hrs re-purposing some wooden shelf parts (I believe Ikea stuff) that I had laying around and bam! a component rack:

rack.jpg
Humble System

Denon AVR 3805: RTA-8T Main (powered by an Adcom GFA 555 MK1), CSi20 Center (Adcom GFA 2535 Bridged Side), Monitor 4.6 Surrounds (Adcom GFA 2535), Velodyne VA-79XII Sub

Playstation 3 & Denon DCD-1100

Music in Motion: Monoprice 8320 & Fischer Audio Silver Bullet IEMs matched to a Sansa Clip Zip

SDS-400, MiniMonitor II, Mini Advent are awaiting further orders.
Post edited by ruckus1027 on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
    edited August 2012
    Looks good!

Stain it, add a layer of laquer and call it a day.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ruckus1027
    edited August 2012
    hmm, I hadn't even thought of giving it a light finish. I just might, after I get sick of seeing the bare wood look. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Humble System

Denon AVR 3805: RTA-8T Main (powered by an Adcom GFA 555 MK1), CSi20 Center (Adcom GFA 2535 Bridged Side), Monitor 4.6 Surrounds (Adcom GFA 2535), Velodyne VA-79XII Sub

Music in Motion: Monoprice 8320 & Fischer Audio Silver Bullet IEMs matched to a Sansa Clip Zip

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2012
    I trust those are audiophile grade bolts. :lol:

Nice project!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • ruckus1027
    edited August 2012
    Yes they are! Engineered to minimize vibrations so as to not color, muddle or interfere with the sound frequencies. :eek:

Something like that
    Humble System

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Yup, I believe I heard you should brush the wood with water lightly to get the pores to open to accept the stain better. Might verify that before doing it though.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Also another good DIY rack called a Flexy can be made for a really low price as well.
  • ruckus1027
    edited August 2012
    Wow! That flexy idea is such an easy concept! I should have thought of that :eek: or something very similar. Well, maybe in the future, for now I'll be fine. I think I spent less just re-purposing, however, the flexy design looks quite sexy.
    Humble System

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    No worries. Maybe start buying parts slowly and make yourself one :biggrin:.
  • ruckus1027
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, sounds like a plan to me. I'm planning on transitioning to a flat panel tv soon (yes I'm still on CRT; with HDMI at least). I play a lot of PS3, nothing beats CRT with 1080i. Anyway, I might make a TV and component stand combination.
    Humble System

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2012
    Looks good, a stain would make it even better! I love to see these homemade racks because I'm so miffed at how much pre-made racks cost (totally outrageous IMHO). A few pieces of wood some screws, sandpaper, stain and you've saved yourself hundreds if not thousands of dollars! My HT rack, I bought on closeout for $25 (originally $125 so not that much normally).

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2012
  • onebadchad
    onebadchad Posts: 364
    edited August 2012
    Super nice, you should probably ground all those bolts though, lol :)
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player
  • ruckus1027
    edited August 2012
    I will most definitely stain it, in a few weeks or so when I have a free weekend.
    Humble System

• ruckus1027
    edited September 2012
    Okay so I wanted to update. I will no longer stain it, as I picked up a decent TV/Component stand over the week end for FREE in my area! I love rich people and CraigsList haha! It needs a little touch up finishing on the bottom, but other than that it is great.

Here are some pictorials for ya'll
    stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

I have decided to move the original stand into my room, since I plan on putting together a cheap 2ch HT/Audio rig in there. I may or may not need the DIY stand so I may give it away to pass on the favor.
    Humble System

• Blownrx7
    Blownrx7 Posts: 137
    edited September 2012
    Yup, I believe I heard you should brush the wood with water lightly to get the pores to open to accept the stain better. Might verify that before doing it though.
    Wetting the wood to accept the stain is not necessary unless you wanted to get a different shade out of the stain. It definitely will do that.
    You might want to still go ahead and stain it and see how you like it. Chalk it up to experience either way.
  • walleyeny
    walleyeny Posts: 36
    edited October 2012