Only Tweeters working

Options
Larry King
Larry King Posts: 2
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
I just purchased a pair of Polks used...unfortunately the previous owner removed the tags off the back which had the model #....my prob is only the tweeter works in one of them. Doe's anyone know what would be wrong???? The set has external fuses and they are fine.....there's one little tweeter and then 3 larger woofers below...all the wiring is connected so would it be in the transitors on the back of the connection pnl??? I would really love to get this repaired as the sound from the one sreaker that works is awesome.....thanks for any advice....larry
Post edited by Larry King on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hello Larry,
    The first thing to do is to determine which model speaker you have. To do this, just measure the height, width and depth of the cabinet. I can usually tell from these dimensions which one you have. Then we can proceed, diagnosing what might be wrong with them. You may email me at kswauger@polkaudio.com or telephone at 1-800-377-7655.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Be sure (if it's bi-ampable) to bi-wire them.
  • Larry King
    Larry King Posts: 2
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ken....my speaker dimensions are as follows:

16 in wide

28 in Tall

12 in deep

If you need anymore info to identify these let me know...larry
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hello Larry,
    Thank you for the additional information, I believe you have the Monitor 10 speaker. We would have to determine which version of the series by looking at the tweeter and driver part numbers. But they all operate the same, the two 6.5" drivers, in the middle, provide the drive for the 10" bass radiator at the bottom. If the two 6.5" drivers are not operating, then the 10" bass radiator won't move either. The best way to test the two drivers is to remove them, one-at-a-time from the cabinet (taking out the four screws holding the driver onto the front of the cabinet and disconnect the two wires connected to the driver's terminals) and try playing each driver using your receiver's speaker wires directly to the driver's terminals (at a low volume). If there's no sound or distorted sound then that driver would need to be replaced. You can do that with the other driver, seeing if it produces good sound or not. When you've determined the condition of these components you may telephone 1-800-377-7655 to place an order using the part number found on the back of the driver, MW6502, for example. Please also mention you are a Club Polk member when calling.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken, Polk
  • dave kvasnicka
    dave kvasnicka Posts: 2
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I have just reviewed the thread posted by another club member who indicated that HIS tweeter was working and the OTHER components were NOT. My question for Ken (?) is: DO I test my tweeter in the SAME manner (temporarily hook up to speaker wire lead) to determine the next step? Like the other member, I also purchased my speakers USED. Both speakers were initially working GREAT...but in the last week, my right side tweeter has ceased to operate. THANKS in advance for your HELP!!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum. Yes, you can test a tweeter's performance in the same way. Remove it from the cabinet, disconnect it's wires and use your receiver's speaker leads to play, at low volume, the tweeter. It should sound clear and un-distorted. You may use the above telephone number to reach us for parts or questions.
    Best regards, Ken
  • dave kvasnicka
    dave kvasnicka Posts: 2
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Ken, Thanks for you QUICK response to my first post! In addtion, I would like some general information about the M10A speakers that I purchased (used): dates of manufacture, power tolerances ect. THANKS! Dave
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    You're welcome, glad to be of help. The Monitor 10A was produced from 1979 until 1983 and had a suggested retail price of $560.00 per pair. The power handling is 200 Watts/channel, impedance is 6 ohms with an efficiency of 92 dB.
    Ken