Does anyone stream music wirelessly?

stretchl
stretchl Posts: 1,334
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
I do, but I'm upgrading my system (see below), and I wonder if I'm going to have to get out of that habit to get the most from my new gear.

Thanks.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
Post edited by stretchl on

Comments

• newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited July 2012
    Streaming can be done at a bit perfect level depending on your equipment, if that is what you are asking.

By the way i spent about 45 minutes on your site. Excellent work. Kudos
    design is where science and art break even.
  • stretchl
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for your kind words!

Regarding streaming, I guess the first variable to address is the source. Are mp3's pretty much out? My guess is that I should move away from them and toward WAV files, yes?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2012
    I stream VIA Apple TV 3rd gen. My first gen has a 160g built in hard drive which I think is the best. I plan on maybe getting into Sonos as I really love that system not to mention I have 9 other Audio zones around the house.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • stretchl
    edited July 2012
    I also use the apple tv...
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2012
    Sonos here too, and yes, get away from mp3's and into a lossless format such as Flac, Wav, or even Apple lossless. How you play it and distribute it has many options but a good dac is practically a must have in this .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2012
    I just created a quick post on this topic, partially because I saw this thread. It can be found below:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?134589-Digital-Computer-Audio-Starter-Guide&p=1796280#post1796280

For the best playback I personally do not recommend the Apple TV as I find the sound quality a bit lacking. I'm surprised Dan actually finds it adequate for music playback given his exposure to various audio gear. Maybe my setup is amiss somewhere, but I find it pretty obviously lacking in sound. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Apple TV for some other features, but music playback has been less than stellar for me.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2012
    Squeezebox into a dac. Then get the iPhone app that lets you use the phone as a player. If you open a port on your router you can stream your whole library to the phone. I use it in the car all the time. I barely keep any music on the phone any more.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited July 2012
    stretchl wrote: »
    ...Are mp3's pretty much out?

MP3's out. Lossy = bad; lossless = good. FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, APE, SHN, etc. = all good.

I choose FLAC because it's versatile and small.

Playback method is another story. As tonyb says, as good DAC is key, like, super key. :wink:

Some people will wince at this next statement, because it will lead you into bad source material, but it is the TRUTH (to my ears):

- A high quality MP3 played back on an excellent DAC will sound better than a lossless file played back on a mediocre DAC. Period. Disagree? Come on over; we'll have ourselves a listen!

seriously though, ditch all lossy formats, including mp3. A lossless file played back on an excellent DAC is the obvious winner.:wink:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2012
    seriously though, ditch all lossy formats, including mp3. A lossless file played back on an excellent DAC is the obvious winner.:wink:

True....if sound quality is your priority. Unfortunately for some it is not. Then post threads about not liking their sound and blame it on the gear rather than the source. It all begins at the source gents.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • uberchurl
    uberchurl Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    Squeezebox into a dac. Then get the iPhone app that lets you use the phone as a player. If you open a port on your router you can stream your whole library to the phone. I use it in the car all the time. I barely keep any music on the phone any more.
    nspindel, you have got it exactly right. I just experienced a friend's Squeezebox Touch in a nice system with pristine SDA SRS 2.3TL's and I was blown away. The streaming was FLAC lossless and at less than $300 ($237 on Amazon), it's by far the best value in a full featured streaming device. The app basically turns your phone into another remote for the unit. Opening a port on your router is brilliant for this device. Great post, nspindel!
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited July 2012
    ok, so to focus this a bit, stretch:

-moving forward it is recommended that you get your music in a lossless state whenever possible.
    -it is recommended that you get the best external DAC that you can in your budget that will meet your needs/wants.
    -It is important to consider the interface by which the music will arrive to your DAC, and how that will communicate with you storage device

I and a couple others use HTPCs and/or MacMinis for this purpose, and find it ideal as asynchronous USB or firewire are superior methods of data transfer to contemporary DACs. They also are endlessly useful for other uses, as you might imagine.

Others have found it convenient to keep their music on their existing computers and incorporate a sqeezebox device. For the money, they perform fairly well, and are heavily modifiable.

My primary source is digital, and likewise for many others here. There are many ways to make it sound great, and there is no reason that you will have to give up that convenience when you upgrade.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • nspindel
    edited July 2012
    uberchurl wrote: »
    nspindel, you have got it exactly right. I just experienced a friend's Squeezebox Touch in a nice system with pristine SDA SRS 2.3TL's and I was blown away. The streaming was FLAC lossless and at less than $300 ($237 on Amazon), it's by far the best value in a full featured streaming device. The app basically turns your phone into another remote for the unit. Opening a port on your router is brilliant for this device. Great post, nspindel!

The app does more than just turn your phone into a remote, it can turn the phone into a squeezebox player, outside of your home if you open a port. Incredibly useful in the car.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited July 2012
    newrival wrote: »
    ok, so to focus this a bit, stretch:

-moving forward it is recommended that you get your music in a lossless state whenever possible.
    -it is recommended that you get the best external DAC that you can in your budget that will meet your needs/wants.
    -It is important to consider the interface by which the music will arrive to your DAC, and how that will communicate with you storage device

I and a couple others use HTPCs and/or MacMinis for this purpose, and find it ideal as asynchronous USB or firewire are superior methods of data transfer to contemporary DACs. They also are endlessly useful for other uses, as you might imagine.

Others have found it convenient to keep their music on their existing computers and incorporate a sqeezebox device. For the money, they perform fairly well, and are heavily modifiable.

My primary source is digital, and likewise for many others here. There are many ways to make it sound great, and there is no reason that you will have to give up that convenience when you upgrade.

I'd say that's just about correct. I used to be the htpc type, but I prefer dedicated appliances to a computer that needs far more configuration. I use the Squeezebox for music, Sagetv extenders for tv/dvr/video, and I also play with an Apple TV for AirPlay mirroring.
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited July 2012
    Now J. River can "see" Squeezeboxes as zones. Give the JRemote app a whirl too (3rd party), it's killer and you can control any zone including playback to current device.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• stretchl
    edited July 2012
    Thanks everyone. I'm still on the road and will have to address this in detail once I get back home and have the various components in front of me and the new speakers and amp hooked up. Too many "moving parts" to figure it all out now...
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited July 2012
    USB HDD -->Laptop hardwired -->Wireless Modem -->Squeezebox Touch -->Benchmark DAC/PRE. Using Flac. I can discern no difference between this setup and my CEC transport playing CD's. If anything, the HDD music might sound ever so slightly smoother.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    I stream to 4 different airport express's around the entire house