Dayton SA230 Subwoofer Amplifier

Options
Conradicles
Conradicles Posts: 6,042
Anybody have any hands on experience with one of these?:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-813&FTR=sa230

For $200 it seems like a nice fit for an efficient passive sub.

Only thing I see as a nitpick would be the lower end of the crossover, 80Hz. You would think that the designer would have made that much lower.

Any advice or knowledge is welcome.
Thanks,
Eric.
Post edited by Conradicles on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited July 2012
    Options
    It looks like a smaller version of the: Dayton Audio SA1000. The SA1000 is currently one of the few recommended amps to drive the passive amps built by Chase Home Theaters which are some pretty massive subs. So if its a cheaper less powerful version of the SA1000 I would think it would work perfectly for passives.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Forgot to add I would run it on my VMPS 215 sub that has a rated Impedance & Sensitivity – 8 Ohm, 90 dB/1W/1m
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited July 2012
    Options
    For that sub I am not quite sure its enough power given its a 15" active and a 15" passive and would honestly go with something like a pro amp, or a bridge HT amp that gives you 500+ wpc.

Thats just my thoughts.

It would work, but you might be limited in what you can get output wise by that amp.

P.S. if you ever end up selling the sub let me know... might be worth a trip down to NC to visit my friends in Ashville....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    edited July 2012
    Options
  • JAC
    JAC Posts: 23
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'd agree that it has limitations:

1) Not enough power except for low level listening
    2) Generally 80hz is often too high for the crossover, especially if you only use it as a "filter" and don't restrict your mains to 80Hz.

I would go with at least 300w and think that the best solution would be take $169 more and get the SA-1000 (1000wpc) which is a great amp for the VMPS subs.
  • tonyw
    tonyw Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Well if 500watts is the norm for that sub (which I have no experience with that sub) spend the 330 and get the 1000 watt version, pecially to drive 2 15s
  • shieber
    shieber Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The SA-1000 has a number for reports of ground loop hum issues (see Part-express reviews). No such reports for the SA-230.

Bith the 1000 and the 230 are rated for a whopping 1% THD at full power. That's about ten times or more what one expects from an amp of this size.
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Do you know this post is several months old?
  • shieber
    shieber Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yes, but others will come across it. A thread is not a momentary discussion, the participants might come and go.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    FYI...these are on sale at PartsExpress for $125 with free shipping. I bought one just to see how it sounds. Not enough power to drive my SI18 (which I knew that would be the case) but this is a nice amp. This would be pretty sweet with a small passive sub.