Matt135 Posts: 12
What is the phase switch on the sw for and should I set to 0 or 180
Post edited by Matt135 on

Comments

• cr136124
    cr136124 Posts: 186
    edited June 2012
    About phase switch on your subwoofer (from Cnet website):

" To determine if your sub's phase is correct, play music with a lot of bass for a minute or so. Then walk over to the sub, flip the phase switch to the other position, and head back to the couch. The right (in-phase) position will yield more bass; the wrong (out-of-phase) position will actually cancel the bass where the satellites' and sub's bass overlap. In some cases, the difference between in phase and out of phase will be very obvious, and sometimes it can be fairly subtle. It's just a matter of finding the right piece of bassy music that highlights the overlap. If you have friends helping out, they can sit by the sub and flip the switch while you listen for the phase position that yields the most bass."

You should try your sub first with a the phase switch set to 0. But, follow the instructions above to determine what position works best for you.
  • Matt135
    Matt135 Posts: 12
    edited June 2012
    What do you mean by yeild more bass?
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    Much older thread, but yield more bass is basically the best blend of bass to the mains for your own ears. Currently, I have my sub in the back of the room. If I use the 0 phase, I get too much midbass punch and not enough lower bass. If I use the 180 phase, the midbass punch is no longer too much and I get the lower bass I was expecting. Phase plus dial adjustments are entirely up to how you want to hear the bass.