This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 5,909
    z2b4lr6l5sj8.jpeg

Went to a few antique shops with the Mrs. in the Lancaster PA today. I picked up this Marantz 1060B while I was there. :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,317
    WTH!?! Dude I'm right here! ( That looks rather aggressive but no malice behind it whatsoever).

Makes me sad I missed another chance to meet/hang with a fellow Polkie.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,623
    Note the Blue Meanie. 'nuff said.

;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,355
    You never know what you'll find in some thrift stores or little shops.
    A guy I know found one of these at a "battered women's help" thrift store for 10 or 15 bucks. I bought it from him for like 80 or 100. You just never know.
    4daa74mq7wry.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Not a model I've ever encountered in the wild, but that Pioneer amplifier looks like a fairly serious piece of hardware. You have one, eh? What do the guts look like?

:)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    edited March 18
    Yup. I have the one my old friend found in that thrift store that helps battered women. He's not into stereo as much as I am so he sold it to me after about a year. I guess he wanted some cash. I happened to have some to give him. It's a beast. This is a pic. from the web.
    s31jntbar52g.png

8akcnnwcppg1.png
    72b6vfh16rj8.png

mercy!

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,668
    Optonica SA-5605:

j56l118wx3qe.jpg
    cubyn3el09j3.jpeg

I picked these Knight speakers last weekend on a hot tip from @mhardy6647
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• verbverb Posts: 2,559
    edited April 26
    Is that a horn behind the grille? @mhardy6647 fingerprints for sure! :smile:
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)

mhardy6647 wrote: »

I won’t know till this weekend. Sadly I’ve been busy with my boss on vacation for the last 8 days. I’ll take a few snaps and post them
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

verb wrote: »
    Is that a horn behind the grille? @mhardy6647 fingerprints for sure! :smile:

Don’t know yet might just be a port ?? I did finally hook them up and play them tonight. Sound fine
    More to come :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Ok I'll play. Whoa!
    6hj9wjidhz2k.png
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    That was kinda my guess when I saw them being offered up, as I recall. Given their locus in space, I contacted @pumpkinman and kinda sorta encouraged him to take a look. I don't believe he needed too much encouragement ;)

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 986
    Optonica SA-5605:

j56l118wx3qe.jpg

My friend has one of these, sounded real nice on his pair of Kef speakers... he sold them, he thinks it was the worst mistake he ever made, but he still has the receiver.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
    yngv65hkfyjt.png

more fun with a pair of EV "Wolverine" LS-12 fullrange drivers ;)

edited April 27
    Years ago, I picked up a corner speaker cabinet at the end of my road one day.

Later looking in it, there was no horn where the horn slot it but the big speaker in it is a Wolverine. That speaker sounded GREAT too. I don't know what the front of the speaker cone looks like but the rear looks just like what that guy is holding from what I can remember. I still have that cabinet and speaker. B) It looks just like this one, exactly.
    uzh5xc850u3i.png
    edited April 27
    a few such enclosures have passed through here, too :)
    ... and there's a small but sincere collection of those EV drivers, too :p
    I have a soft spot in my head heart for them.

24042273670_81c8fb1510_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

33094026905_ea76b4e235_b.jpgDSC_7144 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

edited April 27
    YEP, that's the cabinet. But yours has 3 speaker openings behind the grill. Mine has 2.

I need to pull the driver out. It's a shame there was only one on the roadside! :'(
    They're still kind of floating around everywhere.
    Remember, chance favors the prepared mind.

• mpitogompitogo Posts: 249
    @Tony M looks like very nice haul. Vintage Sansui!
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
    edited April 27
    mpitogo wrote: »
    @Tony M looks like very nice haul. Vintage Sansui!

You might be looking at my Pioneer A-88X integrated pics I got from the web to show its guts.

It looks like the vintage sansui integrated I had once. It was a 717. Man I wish I still had it and it's tuner and equalizer that matched too. :'( Video from the Web. Not mine.
    5yuah76kood7.jpeg
    9fb4mwr3felb.jpeg
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Very cool! :smile:
    Not bad. Electrovoice OEM.
    Styrofoam LF cone. EV made a series of drivers with Styrofoam cones in the 1960s.

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1962-210/h020.html

q0xx5fk6giwj.png

(note that the driver in the 1962 catalog page scan above has a slightly different tweeter horn. In the case above, the horn is identical to the one that you'd find on an EV T35 or T35B tweeter of that era).

From the 1961 Allied catalog:

3d33u4j64tep.png

source: www.alliedcatalogs.com (1961)

edited April 28
    @mhardy6647
    Thanks for all help and information

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

ttqs5pvcnqgw.jpeg
    rn8wxi9nxcgt.jpeg

KEF 103/3 picked at an auction yesterday for $33