This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,620
    ... and that's why the hifi room is separate from the rest of the house.

:)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,351
    Is it connected to the house?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 5,908
    edited January 21
    01qacabx2iyj.jpg

Phillips CD-i 910 picked this up today for a $1

From Wikipedia:
    The Philips CD-i (an abbreviation of Compact Disc Interactive) is an interactive multimedia CD player developed and marketed by Royal Philips Electronics N.V., who supported it from December 1991 into the late 1990s. It was created to provide more functionality than an audio CD player or game console, but at a lower price than a personal computer with a CD-ROM drive at the time. The cost savings were due to the lack of a floppy drive, keyboard, mouse, and monitor (a standard television is used), and less operating system software. "CD-i" also refers to the multimedia Compact Disc standard used by the CD-i console, also known as Green Book, which was developed by Philips and Sony.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 381
    1cc8xsva5lty.jpg
    Family heirloom
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Tony M wrote: »
    Is it connected to the house?

oh, yes... but it's got its own stairway & a door :)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    39092994684_f2c59a5ce6_h.jpgDSC_0342 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24932468817_03d695d916_h.jpgDSC_0337 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I feel like such an apostate -- those are JBL drivers -- and JBL horns.

:|

• verbverb Posts: 2,554
    audioluvr wrote: »
    1cc8xsva5lty.jpg
    Family heirloom

Nice!!!
    My other emerging passion:
    xi94www96wz7.png

Philco 41-290. In the shop getting a complete chassis rebuild. AM/FM/SW bands.
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    verb wrote: »
    My other emerging passion:
    xi94www96wz7.png

Philco 41-290. In the shop getting a complete chassis rebuild. AM/FM/SW bands.

Beautiful!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    odrgpzq5vekj.jpeg
    w12ahtpy2rlw.jpeg
    7zrjjcu943uq.jpeg

My $15.90 Sansui SP-2000 speakers
    Someone removed the spring loaded connectors in favor of what looks like a headphone jack. So I took one apart. Removed it and added binding posts. This way I could try one out.
    I need to make a parts list for the crossover.

Question to those in the know. I’m thinking of using the same kind of caps. Inexpensive electrolytics. I don’t know that I want to sink a lot of money in them.

Opinions ?????
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

I love those older speakers with wooden grills. Motown sounds especialy good on them. I've owned a ton of brands and models over the years. I wish I didn't have to sell some of my big ones. I just bought a Sansui 3500 set I think they were. Mint in the boxes from the original owner. I loved their sound but a guy I sell stuff to every once in a while came and loved them and off they went pretty quick.

Unscrew the grill and let us see the speakers. They should be in mint cond. although, maybe dusty.
    They should look like these;
    unniv2z3nd5m.jpg
    edited March 10
    3y39aun8wiml.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

edited March 10
    Get an older receiver that is warm sounding ( Luxman, etc. ) and those will sound good for classic Rock and Motown.

I've cleaned the dust out of a few of those huge ports!

What designers came up with back then... ;)
    Tony M wrote: »
    Get an older receiver that is warm sounding ( Luxman, etc. ) and those will sound good for classic Rock and Motown.

I've cleaned the dust out of a few of those huge ports!

What designers came up with back then... ;)

I already have several old Sansui’s. :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

pumpkinman wrote: »
    7zrjjcu943uq.jpeg

Nice! Good, Gooder and Super Good!
    My $15.90 Sansui SP-2000 speakers SCORE!!!
    Someone removed the spring loaded connectors in favor of what looks like a headphone jack. So I took one apart. Removed it and added binding posts. This way I could try one out.
    I need to make a parts list for the crossover.

Question to those in the know. I’m thinking of using the same kind of caps. Inexpensive electrolytics. I don’t know that I want to sink a lot of money in them.

Opinions ?????

Yes! Get the Dayton Audio 1% Premium Quality caps if they have them in stock at Parts Express. Shipping is stupidly high but I used these in my RTA-11T's and they sound really good! About 1/3 to 1/4th the cost of Sonicaps. I really like the old Sansui stuff. They were top of the line in the day!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    5k3vxpxs4fzs.jpeg

Both cleaned up and playing. Certainly not the best speaker I’ve ever listened to and certainly not the worst. I think they’re worthy of a recap.

^^^^^^^^^ Yes I’ve bought from PE in the past and shipping is just plain crazy
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,852
    P-Man, good to see you got the Vandersteens up and running. Took a while but I guess it's a done deal. About the Sansuis and their wood grill brethren. Over on AK they are all known as Japanese 'Kabuki' speakers of the 70's/80's. Giant drivers that should pound the crap out of you and don't, multiple mid and tweeter driver arrays and simple x-overs. I'm not in the thread and again not what I was saying. Here's the link to their thread. Pg# 1 scroll down to Maxhifi reply.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/is-the-klipsch-horn-better-than-the-pioneer.813054/
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
    @leftwinger57
    Yes I know there are real haters of Sansui speakers out there. Still if it doesn’t work out I simply sell them
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Open the ports, put the grills back on, turn the pots to soft and prop them up at an angle. Put on that period music like that other website thread poster suggested. Motown and Classic Rock. I feel those woofers stiffen up a lot over the years when not used. The more they're used, the better the bass becomes. I know! ;)

Great garage speakers or even great speakers if you get the 16" woofer versions. I loved a set-up I had with 4 Kenwood 999's (I think) but they were up about 8' on a shelf. The sound was like a live band. Very bassy and lifelike. I had 2 Luxman 1030's powering them easily. I LOVED that set-up for years! I heard every Motown and Classic Rock song 10 times over through them. B)
    They look BRAND NEW!!

NICE!!! B)
    bdyorqrnn5i6.jpeg

For the Sansui SP-2000’s
    Awaiting the 2-22uf capacitors. The rest of the caps and resistors just arrived.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Nice!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    The Sansui’s have been recapped. Now listening to Chris Issak • Silvertone

The new caps made a world of difference. They sounded muddy bloated and in the top end there was music missing. I’m not sure the super tweeters were even tweeting. :) The caps must have been way out spec.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Wait until those woofers loosen up more.

Interesting. Makes me wish I had kept my bigger sets and recapped them too. I guess I missed a few opportunities didn't I.

There is a set of Sansui 3500 here on Cl. But they want 350.00 I think. I won't even think of paying that much for them.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 770
    Some of my vintage Mac gear.......

vxcg2vz48fuw.jpg
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,776
    ^^ Hubba Hoo Hoo

Off to an estate sale, won't be any of those available I'm sure of it.
  • soundfreak1soundfreak1 Posts: 2,821
    Some of my vintage Mac gear.......

vxcg2vz48fuw.jpg
    [/quote
    Where did you get that MAC wall art????? Way cool!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 770

Where did you get that MAC wall art????? Way cool![/quote]

Thanks; It's a beach towel that Mcintosh sells on their site. I made a frame for it and put mattress foam behind it to help with room acoustics.