This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 6,045
    edited March 10
    Get an older receiver that is warm sounding ( Luxman, etc. ) and those will sound good for classic Rock and Motown.

I've cleaned the dust out of a few of those huge ports!

What designers came up with back then... ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 6,223
    Tony M wrote: »
    Get an older receiver that is warm sounding ( Luxman, etc. ) and those will sound good for classic Rock and Motown.

I've cleaned the dust out of a few of those huge ports!

What designers came up with back then... ;)

I already have several old Sansui’s. :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 431
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    7zrjjcu943uq.jpeg

Nice! Good, Gooder and Super Good!
    My $15.90 Sansui SP-2000 speakers SCORE!!!
    Someone removed the spring loaded connectors in favor of what looks like a headphone jack. So I took one apart. Removed it and added binding posts. This way I could try one out.
    I need to make a parts list for the crossover.

Question to those in the know. I’m thinking of using the same kind of caps. Inexpensive electrolytics. I don’t know that I want to sink a lot of money in them.

Opinions ?????

Yes! Get the Dayton Audio 1% Premium Quality caps if they have them in stock at Parts Express. Shipping is stupidly high but I used these in my RTA-11T's and they sound really good! About 1/3 to 1/4th the cost of Sonicaps. I really like the old Sansui stuff. They were top of the line in the day!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    5k3vxpxs4fzs.jpeg

Both cleaned up and playing. Certainly not the best speaker I’ve ever listened to and certainly not the worst. I think they’re worthy of a recap.

^^^^^^^^^ Yes I’ve bought from PE in the past and shipping is just plain crazy
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,883
    P-Man, good to see you got the Vandersteens up and running. Took a while but I guess it's a done deal. About the Sansuis and their wood grill brethren. Over on AK they are all known as Japanese 'Kabuki' speakers of the 70's/80's. Giant drivers that should pound the crap out of you and don't, multiple mid and tweeter driver arrays and simple x-overs. I'm not in the thread and again not what I was saying. Here's the link to their thread. Pg# 1 scroll down to Maxhifi reply.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/is-the-klipsch-horn-better-than-the-pioneer.813054/
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
    @leftwinger57
    Yes I know there are real haters of Sansui speakers out there. Still if it doesn’t work out I simply sell them
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Open the ports, put the grills back on, turn the pots to soft and prop them up at an angle. Put on that period music like that other website thread poster suggested. Motown and Classic Rock. I feel those woofers stiffen up a lot over the years when not used. The more they're used, the better the bass becomes. I know! ;)

Great garage speakers or even great speakers if you get the 16" woofer versions. I loved a set-up I had with 4 Kenwood 999's (I think) but they were up about 8' on a shelf. The sound was like a live band. Very bassy and lifelike. I had 2 Luxman 1030's powering them easily. I LOVED that set-up for years! I heard every Motown and Classic Rock song 10 times over through them. B)
    They look BRAND NEW!!

NICE!!! B)
    bdyorqrnn5i6.jpeg

For the Sansui SP-2000’s
    Awaiting the 2-22uf capacitors. The rest of the caps and resistors just arrived.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 431
    Nice!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    The Sansui’s have been recapped. Now listening to Chris Issak • Silvertone

The new caps made a world of difference. They sounded muddy bloated and in the top end there was music missing. I’m not sure the super tweeters were even tweeting. :) The caps must have been way out spec.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Wait until those woofers loosen up more.

Interesting. Makes me wish I had kept my bigger sets and recapped them too. I guess I missed a few opportunities didn't I.

There is a set of Sansui 3500 here on Cl. But they want 350.00 I think. I won't even think of paying that much for them.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 832
    Some of my vintage Mac gear.......

vxcg2vz48fuw.jpg
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,881
    ^^ Hubba Hoo Hoo

Off to an estate sale, won't be any of those available I'm sure of it.
  • soundfreak1soundfreak1 Posts: 2,823
    Some of my vintage Mac gear.......

vxcg2vz48fuw.jpg
    [/quote
    Where did you get that MAC wall art????? Way cool!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 832

Where did you get that MAC wall art????? Way cool![/quote]

Thanks; It's a beach towel that Mcintosh sells on their site. I made a frame for it and put mattress foam behind it to help with room acoustics.
    z2b4lr6l5sj8.jpeg

Went to a few antique shops with the Mrs. in the Lancaster PA today. I picked up this Marantz 1060B while I was there. :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,768
    WTH!?! Dude I'm right here! ( That looks rather aggressive but no malice behind it whatsoever).

Makes me sad I missed another chance to meet/hang with a fellow Polkie.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,992
    Note the Blue Meanie. 'nuff said.

;)
    You never know what you'll find in some thrift stores or little shops.
    A guy I know found one of these at a "battered women's help" thrift store for 10 or 15 bucks. I bought it from him for like 80 or 100. You just never know.
    4daa74mq7wry.png

Not a model I've ever encountered in the wild, but that Pioneer amplifier looks like a fairly serious piece of hardware. You have one, eh? What do the guts look like?

:)
    edited March 18
    Yup. I have the one my old friend found in that thrift store that helps battered women. He's not into stereo as much as I am so he sold it to me after about a year. I guess he wanted some cash. I happened to have some to give him. It's a beast. This is a pic. from the web.
    s31jntbar52g.png

8akcnnwcppg1.png
    72b6vfh16rj8.png

mercy!
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,748
    Optonica SA-5605:

j56l118wx3qe.jpg
    cubyn3el09j3.jpeg

I picked these Knight speakers last weekend on a hot tip from @mhardy6647
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• verbverb Posts: 3,321
    edited April 26
    Is that a horn behind the grille? @mhardy6647 fingerprints for sure! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)

I won’t know till this weekend. Sadly I’ve been busy with my boss on vacation for the last 8 days. I’ll take a few snaps and post them
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

verb wrote: »
    Is that a horn behind the grille? @mhardy6647 fingerprints for sure! :smile:

Don’t know yet might just be a port ?? I did finally hook them up and play them tonight. Sound fine
    More to come :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg