Schiit Bifrost DAC

Options
wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
Anyone here have one? Heard one?

Schiit Bifrost

I'm looking for a Pre to follow my Squeezebox Touch.
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited June 2012
    Options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?122106-Nice-Affordable-DAC-from-SCHIIT-with-more-to-come-.-.-.

Ah, finally took the leap to the Squeezebox. How are you liking it Darla?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?122106-Nice-Affordable-DAC-from-SCHIIT-with-more-to-come-.-.-.

Ah, finally took the leap to the Squeezebox. How are you liking it Darla?

H9
    Thanks for the link. I did a search and nothing popped up. I love my Touch.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• heiney9
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I started with a SQB II about 4 years ago and then moved to the Touch over a year ago, love it. I have an external linear power supply for the Touch and use an external dac. Works fantastically. Look into the external linear power supply for another nice upgrade.

I just remember that link from all the wise cracks about the name.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2012
    Options
    From what I have read the schiit seems to be the best performer in the price range. I would be interested on how you compare the sound to the integra
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2012
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Well I already like the SBT's DACs compared to Integra for music I think. I have been bouncing back and forth between Direct and Stereo for an hour and a half lol. I can appreciate what Audyssey does but im just not feeling it.

Upon further review that thread was more schiit jokes than anything else lol.

I should have it Thursday but I know it needs break in.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Darla, there are other threads on that board where the Bifrost is mentioned.

I'm not a fan of Audyssey for music either.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited June 2012
    Options
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Got it today and it's going back. I can't really hear much discernible difference between it and the touch except maybe it's brighter and I don't want that.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Jason_k
    Jason_k Posts: 110
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Got it today and it's going back. I can't really hear much discernible difference between it and the touch except maybe it's brighter and I don't want that.

I bought one also and returned it because I thought it was too bright. Not saying it was a bad DAC, but just not my taste.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I would highly recommend the peachtree dac it
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I think the touch is too bright as it is, bad news about the dac. What will you be going for now then wingnut?
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'll probably leave it as is.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• heiney9
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Jason_k wrote: »
    I bought one also and returned it because I thought it was too bright. Not saying it was a bad DAC, but just not my taste.

Just a thought, these things need some break-in time. One day is hardly enough time to evaluate or break in new gear.

H9
  • Jason_k
    Jason_k Posts: 110
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Just a thought, these things need some break-in time. One day is hardly enough time to evaluate or break in new gear.

H9

That's a good point. I had mine for around 2 weeks before I decided to return it. I did try and put as much playing time on it as I could. I had several friends who thought it sounded just perfect. But, at the end of the day it wasn't for me. Eye of the beholder or ear in this hobby. I still think it's a solid product though!

As a side note I had to deal with there customer service a few times and gotta say it's top notch.
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2012
    Options

H9

Yeah. I don't subscribe to that break in stuff. For speakers yes but not electronics. Usually the recommended ' break in ' period surpasses the return period. If it doesn't grab me out of the box I'm not gonna listen to it until I've convinced myself it does. :)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I really want to hear one. Don't they offer a trial?
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2013
    Options
    i have one and i like it. i also just acquired a Peachtree Dac-it, and just for me, the Peachtree is not doing it yet. The Dac-it is used, but low hours, so i have been trying a little burn in... it has improved, but so far I am not hearing the musicality that seems to be mentioned in every review.
    I also have a new-to-me NAD 116 pre amp, and some new resistors to drop in the cross overs of my Infinity RSb's, as well as a Grover Huffman digital IC coming to replace this Tributaries TOSLINK... then there is going to be a lot of listening and swapping of gear.
    at the end, there will either be a Peachtree or a Schiit for sale.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2