speakers hook up

Options
wilbert
wilbert Posts: 12
Hello, guys I new in this forum. I have a question.
I building a new room for my home theater. The room is measure 13.1233 x16.4041 ft (4mx5m).
I wanted to instal a 7.2. HT System in this room. It has one door and now windows. Can anyone help me out where i have to put each speaker.
I a have two rt7 front speakers
a cs400 center;
monitor50.
PSW 12.
I'M planning to buy two new surround speaker, a new receiver ('cause I have now a onkyo 7.1.) and another sub.
How does I have to hook up the speakers. (height, placements etc).
Thanks
Post edited by wilbert on

Comments

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Here's the basic 7.2 setup.

7.2-Surround-Sound.png
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Here's a link to Polk's Home Theater Handbook, by Anthony Chiarella and Matthew Polk: http://www.polkaudio.com/education/hthandbook.php

It was done a while back, but it covers the basics pretty well. I'd suggest giving it a read then coming back to the Forum with any unanswered questions.

Hope it helps.

Welcome to Club Polk! :biggrin:
  • wilbert
    edited June 2012
    Options
    thanks GCE. do you have the height of each speaker?
  • wilbert
    edited June 2012
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Here's a link to Polk's Home Theater Handbook, by Anthony Chiarella and Matthew Polk: http://www.polkaudio.com/education/hthandbook.php

It was done a while back, but it covers the basics pretty well. I'd suggest giving it a read then coming back to the Forum with any unanswered questions.

Hope it helps.

Welcome to Club Polk! :biggrin:

this does not help me out 'cuase it says nothing about 7.2. systeem and the placement of speakers in a 7.2. system.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited June 2012
    Options
    That speaker placement diagram posted above is TERRIBLE and should be disregarded!
    - The Front speakers should NOT be as far apart as the surround speakers.
    - The Center should be directly above or below the screen, NOT out in front of it, ideally.
    - The Back Left and Right speakers should be further back (assuming distances in the diagram are relative) behind the viewing/listening area and should NOT be aimed inward. They should be directed straight ahead.
    - The front subwoofer should NOT be that close to either wall and certainly should NOT be backed up into the corner.

The handbook I suggested above discusses a 7.1 setup, including the height/placement/aiming of all speakers. The addition of a second sub can be just about anywhere in the room since they are nondirectional, but you do not want to have it placed symmetrically with the first sub, due to interfering/standing waves. More than likely, a good diagram for generally-good speaker placement, including that for a second sub, can be found in your receiver User's Manual.
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I am not a HT type, but I have been reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction". And I do have many years of experience with 2 channel and 2.1.

Toole suggests a 7.1 set-up with left & right fronts either side of the screen and pointing toward the sweet spot. Center over or under the screen and with the front of the speaker in the plane of the screen. Side speakers on the side walls pointing perpendicular to the side wall and placed with one just ahead of the sofa and the other behind the sofa--but not back into the corner unless you have to.

I would place the first sub front and center; second sub just as you show it behind the sofa. Not that the subs are directional, but this is about as good as you can do for dealing with room modes, unless you want to get into serious room treatments.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • wolfman1138
    wolfman1138 Posts: 49
    edited June 2012
    Options
    +1 for teekay0007!

A good speaker placement guide can be found here too:
    http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

Some other good guidelines are:
    1) Mains toed in slightly to point at the main listen position
    2) Center channel speaker on the same plane as the screen
    3) You can line-up the mains with the center and screen or bring them forward slightly to make an arc that places the speakers equal distance between the speaker and listener.

The second sub can be located up front or the back. Bass is non-directional, and may folks have had success with the both subs in the front of the room with the subs placed close to the midpoint between the center and mains.

If you are going to run two subs, you will want to get a receiver that has the Audessey MultiEQ or better for setup.

Good luck!
    My Home Theater:
    Mains: polkaudio RTi150
    Center: polkaudio CS350LS (modified)
    Side: polkaudio 65-RT
    Back: polkaudio RC85i Rear
    Sub: SVS SB13-Plus
    Receiver: Denon 4311ci
    Sony VPL-VW60 on a 92" Draper Premier screen
    Sony 52" XBR2
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited July 2012
    Options
    For height:

Ideally, the tweeters in your front speakers should be at ear level. For your center, it's not always practically to do this so it should be either directly or below your TV screen with it angled toward the listening position. Surrounds should really be placed a few feet above the listener. If you keep your Monitor 50's, might be best to put them on short stands to at least get the tweeters above ear level.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD