Polk Monitor 7 value...

Options
Mystery
Mystery Posts: 2,546
edited May 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Have a chance to pick up a pair of Monitor 7's for $60.
One of the mid's dust cap is pushed in but overall look good.
It's 50 miles round trip and don't really need more speakers but everyone raves about Monitor 7's being better than 5B's and even 10's so thought of getting them.
Should I pull the trigger?
Thanks for comments
Monitor7.jpg

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
Post edited by Mystery on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Do it!

Which version are they? Older with the Peerless tweets or newer with the SL-2000's? Either way it's a good deal, especially if they're in good shape.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited May 2012
    Options
    That's a pretty good price,I say if you have the itch scratch it.I have had one pair for a couple years and liked them so much I bought another set.If you don't like them flipem.I dont think you will lose money on them.Just my opinion.Dan
  • Mystery
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Thanks for comments.
    These are with SL2000 (silver/white dome) just like my 5B's.
    In fact they look exactly same except for the PR.
    I just uploaded a pic in my original post.
    I hate driving in traffic but will see how it goes. :-s

• Oldfatdogs
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I think they are worth fighting traffic for.Again just my opinion.Dan
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited May 2012
    Options
    you can probably pull out that dustcap with some tape.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Mystery
    edited May 2012
    Options
    If the dust caps are the only issue, then I don't mind having them.
    They are covered with grills anyways.
    So how better are these compared to my 5B's?

• vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Grab em ASAP they look like 7C's
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • Oldfatdogs
    edited May 2012
    Options
    So how better are these compared to my 5B's?
    I have never heard the 5bs so I cant answer that for you.
    What I can tell you is the monitor 7s are a kick a$$ speaker for their age.Dan
  • vstarkwell
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    What I can tell you is the monitor 7s are a kick a$$ speaker for their age. Dan

I second that, here's hoping you got them.
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • Mystery
    edited May 2012
    Options
    vstarkwell wrote: »
    Got them :)
    Both mids' dust caps were pushed in and beside few scratches they work good.

PolkMonitor7.jpg

Also, the terminal caps on the binding posts are missing. I have to just twist the speaker wires tight so as there is no caps to screw them tight. I'll get a pair of banana plugs that just go in the post and work without the caps.
    Can I just get the caps or have to replace whole binding posts?

PolkMonitor7-NoCaps.jpg

They sound much more solid than the 5B's but 5B's have more clarity may be due to smaller PR.
    For posterity, here is my small wall of Polk Monitors.

PolkMonitorsNoGrill.jpg

PolkMonitorsWithGrill.jpg

• goofyGAguy
    goofyGAguy Posts: 545
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Nice score. How do they compare to the S8's? I have a pair and really like them(except for the fact they hit every branch on the way down the ugly tree.):smile:
    My humble setup...

...is no more. :cry:
  • vstarkwell
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    Got them :)
    Both mids' dust caps were pushed in and beside few scratches they work good.

Also, the terminal caps on the binding posts are missing. I have to just twist the speaker wires tight so as there is no caps to screw them tight. I'll get a pair of banana plugs that just go in the post and work without the caps.
    Can I just get the caps or have to replace whole binding posts?

It seems that one of the consensus with regards to binding posts is to replace them. I've been recommended Vampire BPHEX as linked here*.

*http://www.soniccraft.com/products/connections/bindingpost/vampire_bphex.htm

Congrats on picking them up for a nice price!!!!
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Congrats on the score and nice collection. Thanks for helping me feel like less of a hoarder. I guess I should make some FS posts after a taking some pics.

I saw your clarity comment. Did you get the stands with these. The stands can make a huge difference in how the speakers sound. The clarity is one reason I have held on to mine despite using RTA15TLs in the only place these would fit my home.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?24335-Polk-Audio-Monitor-Series-Stands-Reference&highlight=monitor+stands

a polk pic.JPG
  • Mystery
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Sticker on the back just has 7 or M7. How do I confirm what version is this?
    It appears that these are 8 ohms as my 6 ohm 5B's are much louder at the same volume.
    goofyGAguy wrote: »
    Nice score. How do they compare to the S8's? I have a pair and really like them(except for the fact they hit every branch on the way down the ugly tree.):smile:
    Glad you like them S8's. Those are my least favorite followed by 4.6 among all others I have. I tried to like them but no matter where and how I use them, S8's sound too bass heavy and boomy. Mid range in S8 doesn't shine at all.
    The 7's have solid bass (punchier than S8's) and mid range is very good so vocals, strings don't hide behind bass.
    I haven't listened a whole lot. Will demo them side by side in more detail when I get some free time.
    I'm thinking of getting rid of the S8's and 4.6's but will audition them little more before that.
    It seems that one of the consensus with regards to binding posts is to replace them. I've been recommended Vampire BPHEX as linked here*.
    *http://www.soniccraft.com/products/connections/bindingpost/vampire_bphex.htm
    Congrats on picking them up for a nice price!!!!
    I'm using a plastic wedge to hold the wires tight for now. I'll either get a banana plug soon or a binding post later when I do the capacitor upgrade.
    Thanks for comments.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,103
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Most likely they are 7C's. 6 Ohm 89dB eff. 5B's are 6 Ohm 90dB eff.(according to Polk owners manuals) If they are playing at a lower volume (by measurement, not by ear) that probably indicates there is an issue with them. Check the polyswitch of x-over 's are weak. The 5's and 7's shouldn't have an appreciable difference in output volume when switching between the two.

According to Polk owners manuals the 7B is 4 Ohms 91dB eff. Both the 5B and 7B use the MW6502 again according to Polk owners manual. Not convinced this is entirely true for all 7B's and 7C's.

Polk lists the Monitor 7 Series II as 8 ohms. Your's are not series II since they have the sl2000 tweet. Series II speakers have the sl2500 tweeter.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Oldfatdogs
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Congratulations on your deal,nice wall of polks you have going.Enjoy them Dan
  • goofyGAguy
    goofyGAguy Posts: 545
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Glad you like them S8's. Those are my least favorite followed by 4.6 among all others I have. I tried to like them but no matter where and how I use them, S8's sound too bass heavy and boomy. Mid range in S8 doesn't shine at all.

The S8's are definitely a bit muddy sounding when on the floor. I find they open up greatly when placed on 18" stands and moved out at least 3' from any walls.
    My humble setup...

...is no more. :cry:
  • Mystery
    edited May 2012
    Options
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    Congrats on the score and nice collection. Thanks for helping me feel like less of a hoarder. I guess I should make some FS posts after a taking some pics.
    Did you get the stands with these.
    Hoarder? No no... collector... :redface:
    These are Polks only, you should see all the other speakers I have. :eek:

No stands but I have them on top of large advents so they are little above ear level.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Most likely they are 7C's. 6 Ohm 89dB eff. 5B's are 6 Ohm 90dB eff.(according to Polk owners manuals) If they are playing at a lower volume (by measurement, not by ear) that probably indicates there is an issue with them. Check the polyswitch of x-over 's are weak. The 5's and 7's shouldn't have an appreciable difference in output volume when switching between the two.
    H9
    I'll check ohm with a multimeter. The 5B's sound like they have more mid range than the 7's.
    Don't have SPL meter to check the volume level but I have them in different places (7's as fronts and 5B's as surrounds) so that also could make difference.
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    Congratulations on your deal,nice wall of polks you have going.Enjoy them Dan
    Thanks!

• heiney9
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Don't have SPL meter to check the volume level but I have them in different places (7's as fronts and 5B's as surrounds) so that also could make difference.

Ummmmm, ya think? That's what I get for assuming. When people say they compared stuff, I always assume its apples to apples, but I am finding out more and more people don't do it that way. It's counterintuitive to me and I just don't understand how people can make the comparison and then a conclusion when the comparo is obviously skewed.

I scratch my head all the time. How can you make a like comparison of two items if they are used completely differently and then conclude something is wrong with one compared to the other?

Sorry if this sounds mean spirited, just venting a bit.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mystery
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Ummmmm, ya think? That's what I get for assuming. When people say they compared stuff, I always assume its apples to apples, but I am finding out more and more people don't do it that way. It's counterintuitive to me and I just don't understand how people can make the comparison and then a conclusion when the comparo is obviously skewed.

I scratch my head all the time. How can you make a like comparison of two items if they are used completely differently and then conclude something is wrong with one compared to the other?

Sorry if this sounds mean spirited, just venting a bit.

H9
    Hahaha... no problem. Vent as much as you like. :cool:

I just got them and there was not enough time to do a detailed comparison for the 7's.
    But for others (S8, 4.6 etc...), I did a lot of listening before.

I posted what I felt with keeping distance, receiver volume level etc... same.
    Do not have a conclusion yet. Will do a dedicated 2-channel demo session in some weekends.
    Thanks for suggestions.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,755
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds mean spirited, just venting a bit. H9

must be time for a vacation Brock.....You seem a little tense lately :cool:
  • heiney9
    edited May 2012
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    must be time for a vacation Brock.....You seem a little tense lately :cool:

Not tense, just wished people would communicate a little better. Obviously when he stated his problem there wasn't full disclosure. I just get a little frustrated sometimes at the brevity and lack of information. Then you base your responses on what's written only to find out later the situation is completely different then when it was first posted.

That's all and it's not even that big of a deal and certainly not a reflection on the OP.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,755
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Not tense, just wished people would communicate a little better. Obviously when he stated his problem there wasn't full disclosure. I just get a little frustrated sometimes at the brevity and lack of information. Then you base your responses on what's written only to find out later the situation is completely different then when it was first posted.

That's all and it's not even that big of a deal and certainly not a reflection on the OP.

Just razzing ya pal....I know all too well welcome to the texting mentality....That is why when wife and kids text me I just call them back saves a LOT of frustration.....

Now back to the local programing.....

Sorry OP for the slight derail:wink: