Latest Stereophile

Options
George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I got the latest Stereophile ragazine today. Seems like Sony has a winning pair of speaks with their new ES SS-M9ED's. According to John Atkinson, the resident dweeb over there, they are class "A" in EVERY parameter. Too bad they're $16k a pair.

Krell has some all aluminum jobs that are pretty highly rated too! They'll only set you back $37k the pair.

Where do these guys get the balls?

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited July 2001
    Options
    don't you love speakers that the average guy can't afford being
    in stereo magazines from cover to cover

scott:rolleyes:
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Why do you think they have the "Class A" rating? That's the best of the best, where money is no object (typically). There are affordable speakers that attain the Class B and C ratings. However, I will agree that the vast majority of the stuff found in Stereophile is quite expensive and out of range of the average consumer.

Aaron
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Options
    As is with any product, there are good, better and best out there. Cars, furniture, clothing, food, electronics and so on. I think that the wolrd of fine audio electronics has got to have the worst reputation for having the largest top end gap as far as retun on investment than any other catagory. Spend $99 on a cheap department store all in one stereo set up, and you'll end with a $99 stereo. Go to a "better" name brand store and plop $499 down on a system, and you'll end up with a $499 set up. Head to a specialty audio store and start dropping $500 on each component and now you're talking. You are now getting a good performance per dollar ratio and have some quality mid to hi-fi equipment. But when you start talking about individual components, like certain mono amplifiers with "Italian silver" wiring inside etc that sel for $250,000 each (yes I'm referring to an actual amp...not made up) you have to wonder what the perfomance advantage per dollar ratio is over amps costing say, $2-5,000? Or speakers that cost $37,000 over a pair that cost maybe $4,700? I'm wondering how many SANE folks out there could, with a straight face justify the differences moneywise with actual audible advantages. totalling in the tens of thousands of dollars worth. I doubt it.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Options
    the vast majority of the stuff found in Stereophile is quite expensive and out of range of the average consumer.
    This is exactly why my 1 year subscription was not renewed. Unless I make well over 300k a year and can afford these things, this magazine is completely useless.

I have yet to find a good HT magazine that is actually worth the yearly subscription cost. That is why I usually go to my local Barns and Noble book store, grab the latest stack of the HT mags, sit down with my coffee and read them all for free.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Stereophile OCCASIONALLY reviews a semi-affordable product. What they WERE good for, about ten yrs ago, was about ten pages of classified ads in the back where you could pick up some fantastic used stuff for cheap. There is hardly a page and a half now, and most of it is ads from hi-end shops. Thank the internet for that. At the subscription price (about a buck an issue) it's worth it for a few laughs. Try $ensible Sound Falcon. It's okay.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • bernardo
    bernardo Posts: 120
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I have to agree with Mike. At some point the improvement has to be infinitesimal...

Anyway, is Italian silver any better? (electronically speaking) ;)

Bernardo
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I've not come across that magazine. I will look it up. I have yet to see it at the local BS, but then again, I've never looked for it. Thanks Geo:)

Peace Out~:D The bird on a budget
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    personally, I like the fact that these speaker magazines have the stuff I can't afford. Who wants to read about the latest jensen package? I don't even want to read about the top of the line models in my price range. I read a car magazine to see the cars I can't ever see in person. I think it's the same with audio equipment. I get my info on my equipment from internet rescources and from friends.