Old school video games

Options
2»

Comments

• LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I had seen that a good while back, I'll check it out again. Also there's www.somethingawful.com and www.strangeland.com
    I agree, those style of websites are just perfect when looking for a good laugh or some sick footage. heh.

By the way, here's the redneck racing footage. View this at your own risk, it's a BRUTAL video.

On a lighter note, who hasn't wanted an actual remote controlled car? These guys did it, and had a lot of fun doing it. The sound clips during the video will take you back for sure.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Polk-a-nizer
    Polk-a-nizer Posts: 225
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by LiquidSound
    I had seen that a good while back, I'll check it out again. Also there's www.somethingawful.com and www.strangeland.com
    I agree, those style of websites are just perfect when looking for a good laugh or some sick footage. heh.

By the way, here's the redneck racing footage. View this at your own risk, it's a BRUTAL video.

On a lighter note, who hasn't wanted an actual remote controlled car? These guys did it, and had a lot of fun doing it. The sound clips during the video will take you back for sure.

I'll check those out later. Can't really link to em at work though. Cuz of the **** on the first few pages. Can't do that at work.

P.S. Hey Liquid..... you say you're located "under there". Is that because you like to hear people say "under where"? Manipulating people is fun.:D
    ††Polk-A-Nizer~~Ulrich††
    Nizer The Wizer
    "I can blast my Polks longer and they keep getting stronger!"
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I was over there, now I'm under here. It's a more specific location.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Polk-a-nizer
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've always wanted be "over yonder". Then no-one will no where the hell I am.
    Back to the original base of this thread though. Anyone remember the classic that preceded MK. "Timekillers"... that game was awesome. the "anytime" fatalities kicked ****. You could be in the middle of a fight and lop the opponents head off and win the match. Body specific targeting was great too.:D
    ††Polk-A-Nizer~~Ulrich††
    Nizer The Wizer
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Did anyone mention "Tapper" the beer mug game or something like that??? WHo on earth even thought of that one?

HBomb?...how old are you man? Just kidding :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Polk-a-nizer
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Tapper? Never heard of it. But I do remeber a classic Atari game called "Fast Food". You controlled a moving mouth on a side scrolling screen, Food constantly shoot in from the right and you had to "EAT" it bycathing it in your mouth. Every time you ate 50 pieces you go to the next level and got the message "getting FATTER". But if you ate the rotten purple pickles more than 5 times you would burp and vomit all your food up. SWEET!:D
    ††Polk-A-Nizer~~Ulrich††
    Nizer The Wizer
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I would just like to take the time to point out how much I loathe "underwater stages".

Ever since Mario jumped into the cold, icy depths of Davey Jones' locker in stage 2-1 of SMB, I've despised the sheer boredom and monotony of the slow-moving non-excitement of traversing the Deep Blue pixelated Nothing.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2006
    Options
    First had Atari. Then I got the Sega Master System. Phantasy Star was one of my fav games and one of the best overall for its time. Also had Shinobi, Alex kidd, Outrun..
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    Options
    one word for all you old school freaks: MAME

www.mame.net
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Mike682 wrote:
    First had Atari. Then I got the Sega Master System. Phantasy Star was one of my fav games and one of the best overall for its time. Also had Shinobi, Alex kidd, Outrun..

Phantasy Star rocked!!! Way ahead of its time. I still have that game, along with every map I drew for it when I was a kid. The first real RPG. I think they have a new one for PS3 or 360 called Phantasy Star universe or something.
    Venom

Zillion also was pretty cool for its time.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'm giving my age away hear, but does anybody remember Mattel "Intelivision"? Classic games with many fond memories!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'm giving my age away hear, but does anybody remember Mattel "Intelivision"? Classic games with many fond memories!!!

Yep and their greatest game was the old Dungeons & Dragons! You had to go through the dark maze & labyrinth and shoot arrows at the rats easy, snakes hard, dragons damned near impossible.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2006
    Options
    And does anyone realise this thread is from 2003? Old school in itself!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2006
    Options
    shinobi, for sure. good times. i got my start with atari 2600 when i was like 5 years old. i'm 30 now. wowsers!

shoot, remember the first pc games? i think mine was like dungeons and dragons where you only had words to look at. imagination was key.

"you were just killed by a gelatinous goop."

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    And does anyone realise this thread is from 2003? Old school in itself!

.....and I just had to resurrect it after being slapped in the face by an absolutely horrid underwater stage in what is an otherwise stellar game in God of War.

Got me thinking.... I utterly despise the institution of underwater stages for reasons that range from superbly cosmic to utterly banal.

Inexplicable really.... kind of an anti-Pavlovian response.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Agreed. What is it about underwater stages that just inherently suck?
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    They're slooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww...

They all look the same. The play mechanics are always half-****. There's even rumors going around that they've been sleeping with my wife.

Think about it... has anything really changed since World 2-1 in Super Mario Bros.? Has the "underwater" template changed in the slightest?

Oh, wait... I know what's worse. Underwater maze stages.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2006
    Options
    ever play the underwater stage on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (orignal on NES)?

gag me with a spoon :D

tmnt_nes.gif
    Go Donatello!
    tmntnes3.gif
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    ^^^a totally tubular example:D
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2006
    Options
    just think if I had been studying instead of wasting my time on underwater stages as a kid. I could be a rocket scientist or something :p
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Jeez Phantom.. I think you actually dredged up the most Unholy of underwater stages.

The Timed Underwater Maze:eek: :eek:
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ancient Sumerian text actually warns of the aforementioned TMNT stage (roughly translated):

From the eternal sea he rises, Creating armies on either shore, Turning man against his brother 'Til man exists no more.
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I think I was playing that stage when my mother first caught me using a curse word. Man, that's funny now but sure sucked back then.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Just started up a fresh game of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Anyone around here left that enjoys retro games up to the 16 bit era?

Yes, I realize how old this thread is.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How about retro video game soundtracks... on vinyl? Nerd flag flying high here.

GhmseDd.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk