Old school video games

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
Anybody here still playing old video games? I'm playing one of the greatest game of all time right now, Final Fantasy III on the SNES. I played this game about 6 years ago but didn't finish it. Now I'm starting again. Some of my friends had 100+ hours in their files. Next up will be Chrono Trigger. Great tunes on both games too but IMO FFIII has the best video game music.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2003
    I played centipede the other day...oh wait I was just by myself and horny, nevermind.

Seriously, I did buy the Atari gamepack of new versions for the PC. I still after all these years, and all these high speed games....SUCK! at Asteroids.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2003
    I'm craving some Shinobi or Heavy Barrel on arcade. Anybody remember Mortal Kombat 2 when it first came out? It stomped everything.... It was the first video arcade game I had seen at 50 cents a pop. It was only air hockey and the like before that. Damn trend setters.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    doro, have you seen the new Hummer2 commercial with asteriods as the theme? That music brings back memories.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    That music made me angry... :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Doro, is it really that hard? Never played Asteroids. My first game was Ms. Pacman for Atari. I picked up Namco Museum for the Dreamcast. It has six of their classic games. I also got Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Shuffle and Chef's Luv Shack(South Park). They're not old but still simple and fun like old games. My dealer is selling his used Dreamcast games cheap.
    I've always wanted to try Dance Dance Revolution but I'm sure my parents would freak and send me to a mental hospital if they caught me playing that. It comes with the dance pad. I'm too emberassed to play it at the arcade.

Liquid,
    MKII was killer. Baraka was my favorite character. I have MKII for SNES, Sega Saturn and Sega Genesis. Sold the Genesis and games though.
    Killer Instinct is my favorite arcade game. Back in middle school, a buddy and I used to go to the arcade every Friday to play it.

Maurice
  • LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    I wonder if that music naturally creeps into your brain when you're in space for too long. I'd say so, considering you're worried about a paint flek hitting you during a space walk @ 10,000 miles per hour. I'd end up with theme music.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    Baraka was incredible. Hold back and hit high punch..that wicked blade slice that just had to hurt. My all time fave of that game had to be the body slice fatality by Kung Lao. A nice clean swipe from his hat, opponent falling to his knees, then a vacuum squish sound like a pumpkin being ripped as his body splits into two pieces..longways. The protruding ribs, organs and intestines were a nice touch.
    That wasn't a game, that was a landmark.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• organ
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, MK set a new standard for violence in video games. Kung Lao's fatality is killer! I also like Liu Kang's fatality. The dude morphs into a dragon and eats his opponent leaving only the lower body. very cool.

Have you played MK Deadly Allience yet? It's as good as the other MK games. Great graphics and tons of blood. The blood actually stays on the ground throughout the match. The camera angle changes during a fatality too. Very brutal game!

Maurice
  • LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    "It's as good as the other MK games."

I hope you aren't talking about MK3. Babalities and Friendships were completely stupid and incongruent. Not to mention the silly and worthless fatalities..I hated that sequel. Almost as much as I hated Battle Arena Toshinden 3..that damn combo infestation.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Organ - No it isn't that hard, I am just pathetic at easy games. :(
  • Polk-a-nizer
    Polk-a-nizer Posts: 225
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by organ
    Anybody here still playing old video games? I'm playing one of the greatest game of all time right now, Final Fantasy III on the SNES. I played this game about 6 years ago but didn't finish it. Now I'm starting again. Some of my friends had 100+ hours in their files. Next up will be Chrono Trigger. Great tunes on both games too but IMO FFIII has the best video game music.

Maurice
    Feel ya dude, Chrono Trigger was SWEET :D and FFIII set the standard for RPG's. Still think Sky's Of Arcadia is one of the greatest though.

Wanna talk badass old school? Try Elevator Action and Keystone Capers. They rocked. Course I'm hooked on my GCube and Xbox now.:D
    ††Polk-A-Nizer~~Ulrich††
    Nizer The Wizer
    "I can blast my Polks longer and they keep getting stronger!"
  • LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    All this talk of video games..feels kinda high school in here.:p
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• organ
    edited October 2003
    Liquid,
    C'mon, MK3 was pretty good especially when you unlock Smoke. The combo system was a nice change. MK: DA is different than any other MK games. Midway introduced a new fighting engine but the game play is as brutal as the earlier games(MK1 and 2). The combos are very nicely done. None of those weird stuff like MK3. In DA, you can do a combo, knock your opponent into the air, pull out a big sword, slice them a few times while they're in the air, and finish off with another combo. Each character has three figthing style including weapons. The fighting style can be changed anytime, even during a combo. There's so much stuff to unlock too using "Koins" that you earn during battles and training.

With all this MK talk, we forgot Street Fighter 2. That was as good as MK.

nizer,
    What system did Skies of Arcadia come out for? If I see a used copy, I'll pick it up. I wanna look for Secret of Mana. I might start playing Zelda: "A Link to the Past" again. That was a great game.

I haven't played Elevator Action or Keystone Capers. I remember Ghouls and Goblins though. That was fun.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Sean,
    Do you still have your Genesis and 32X? I sold my Genesis/SegaCD/32X combo for Nintendo 64(big mistake:(). I really enjoyed those old Sega systems.
    I'm still looking for the Atari Classics that was released on Dreamcast.

Maurice
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    pfffffft.....I still got an original Rat Shack PONG game.

Pitfall Harry was the last video game I recall playing.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2003
    What interesting timing for this thread. Last night, as I did not want to study, I busted out the Dreamcast. That in itself is fairly old school. Not current anyways. For those of you with a DC, you should know that if you do it right/illegal, you will never have to buy a single game. So, I found this SNES roms disc I burned a while back, popped it in, and started playing Super Mario World. I must have put at least 5 hours in on that in the last 12 hours, and I did get my sleep too. I have to say, its one of the greatest/most fun games ever. Ah, I love my Dreamcast.
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2003

I'm still looking for the Atari Classics that was released on Dreamcast.

Maurice

I believe I have them.
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Wow Sean, your dad is into video games? That's cool. Do you play against eachother? I play alone most of the time, but there's nothing like party games and 4 player Unreal Tournament when friends are over.

Troy,
    You gotta try some new games:). LOL I didn't know Rat Shack sold Pong.

Shizelbs,
    Some of my friends burn DC games. I think they download them from the net and then burn. I dind't know they released NES classics on DC. I played the first Mario during the black out this summer on Game Boy.
    Just found out the store have a used copy of Atari classics for DC. $25CDN is too much for a used game on a dead system. Nobody's buying his DC games. I'm sure he'll drop it down to $10 in a few months.

Maurice
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2003

What system did Skies of Arcadia come out for? If I see a used copy, I'll pick it up.

Its on Dreamcast, and extremely difficult to find a hacked copy. I believe this is one of the few that most people have to actually purchase.
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    Sweet I'll see if I can find a copy. Thanks

Maurice
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    On the DC Grandia 2 was pretty sweet too, i had many a sleepless night playing that game, all my characters were pretty much maxed too, at least with the spells that is :D

I think i've played through Chrono Trigger at least 20 times, all with the same save game so those characters are maxed and I have enough rainbow gear for every character :D

FFIII i've probably played about 7 or 8 times but it's definately a sweet game, I just like the plot line of CT better...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Shizelbs
    edited October 2003
    Any of you DC owners out there ever play Samba De Amigo?
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited October 2003
    I got one of those atari joystick w/ the games in the stick. I got asteroids, missile command, berzerk, and pong. Its pretty sweet playing those again. I love missile command.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited October 2003
    I have an old Defender machine in my basement I play a few times a month.
  • organ
    edited October 2003
    MTXMAN,
    How many hours did you get on those files? That's a lot of gameplay hours:).

Any of you DC owners out there ever play Samba De Amigo?

I played it but didn't have the marraccas(sp?) though. Fun game. I got an A in every level. Sega made some weird games:D.

Ever play Space Channel 5? I finished that game with 100% but went down to 99% after the credits because there's a last "up" you have to do and I can't seem to get it no matter how many times I try. I like SC 5 a lot more than Samba.

Chris,
    I can't believe your Atari is still working. I can't get the NES to work anymore. The power comes on but it can't read any games.

petrym,
    That's cool. If I could find a Killer Instinct machine, I'd buy it. KI2(KI Gold on N64) sucks compared to the original IMO.

Maurice
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    Organ,
    I have no clue how many hours, i deleted that game a while ago to start fresh and can't remember how long i had played.. It was a lot though
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Polk-a-nizer
    Polk-a-nizer Posts: 225
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by LiquidSound
    Fatality...

Brutality...
    Somebodies been surfin for ****. :p
    ††Polk-A-Nizer~~Ulrich††
    Nizer The Wizer
    "I can blast my Polks longer and they keep getting stronger!"
  • LiquidSound
    edited October 2003
    That came from www.stileproject.com While he does have ****, he also have some CRAZY videos that you won't find anywhere else. The guy is a freak, pure and simple. Check out the redneck racing video if you can find it. It's plain out brutal.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Liquid - Have you seen www.consumptionjunction.com ? I think websites like these are invaluable for laughter :D