Sda-2

Options
alexholeinone
alexholeinone Posts: 17
edited March 2012 in Speakers
This could be a repeat of an earlier post, but hear me out. Acquired a pair of SDA-2, and they sound great. Some voice, the singer seems like he/she is in the back on an echo chamber, most would be in the normal soundstage, the IC is connected and i checked the phase of the speakers per the manual. Could the crossover dying??? Help

Pushing the SDA-2 with a Hafler XL600 Amp, with Hafler Iris Pre-Amp, Using a Dual 1229Q TT.
Post edited by alexholeinone on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Congrats on the SDA's, and welcome to CP!:cheesygrin:

There's a ton of great info here about all things SDA.

If the problem you describe occurs at the same place on the same songs in the exact same way, I'd say the problem is the recording. If it's more sporadic, and happens generally at louder volumes, I'd say it could be the polyswitches that protect the tweeters.

You can remove the polyswitches from your crossovers very easily. Either jump them or add a small resistor. Search the vintage forum for "polyswitch" to find numerous threads on this.

Enjoy the speaks!:biggrin:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • alexholeinone
    alexholeinone Posts: 17
    edited March 2012
    Options
    THank you, i will search for polyswitch.
  • jimbo1421
    jimbo1421 Posts: 772
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I had the same problem with my SDA-1Bs, a deeply recessed phantom center where many recordings place the lead vocal. Some engineers move the vocals a bit to one side or the other and these sounded fine. Over a period of a month or two the phantom center moved forward until there was no problem. I believe that if these old vintage speakers have been sitting unused for a long time they need some break-in time to recover their original sound. I would play them awhile before undertaking any refurbishment.

Jim
    5.1 System:
    TCL R613 55" 4K
    Front: SRS-3.1TL
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 10B
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    Parasound P3 pre-amp