Anyone has experience with Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR9 speakers?

Options
Mystery
Mystery Posts: 2,546
edited March 2012 in Vintage Speakers
First of all, these are not the vintage AR9's that weigh over 100 lbs.
These AR9's are newer version sort of (2000-2001) they are a different design from the early days. The Hi-Res series was the flagship line of Acoustic Research when AR and NHT were under the same roof. The parent company (Recoton) ran into financial problems and sold NHT to try an save them. They filed bankruptcy then AR was sold to Audiovox who took on all of AR's debt, the cable division was sold (GE) seperatly as well.

These are 37 H x 9 W x 17 D; 65 lbs with one 10" woofer on one side and Diamond Hardened 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter. :smile: Diamond Hardened -- never had a speaker that has diamond in description before.

Initial impressions:
Very well built and solid. I got the cherry woodgrain version and it's beautiful and elegant; looks more luxurious than others I have. Not sure if it's all wood or wood veneer.

A/B with JBL CF120.
JBL's are more efficient and louder at the same volume since they have 96db sensitivity.
JBL's are also brighter.
After listening to AR9's, these are more punchy and smoother than the JBL's.
For HT application, AR9's blew JBL's completely. AR9's imaging of HT sound is so better that even in stereo, I could feel the sound moving back and forth completely separate while the JBL's have muddled up sound sometimes when sound moves from L/R/L quickly. I didn't realize JBL's sound somewhat muddy/boomy until I heard the AR9's. I definitely need more powerful receiver for these.

Will A/B with Polk Monitor 5B's in few days.

Anyone has/had experience with these? :question:

Got them from CL for less than a hundy. Searched online but very few links and information.
Looks like discontinued and company gone...
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Tee

Product site:
http://www.digital.com.uy/ar/hi_res/ar9.htm
AR9
3-Way Tower
SIMPLY STATED, THE HI-RES SERIES LOUDSPEAKERS ARE THE ULTIMATE IN SOUND REPRODUCTION, COMPETING WITH SPEAKERS TWICE THEIR PRICE
Leave it to the company that forged the history of home audio to add a whole new element to the mix. Introducing the Hi-RES Series loudspeakers from Acoustic Research -- an unprecedented combination of classic looks, innovative features, and revolutionary metal alloy components. From plasma-transferred diamond hardened titanium dome tweeters, and our exclusive MagAlloy? midranges, to Bob Carver/Sunfire high efficiency amplifiers in our powered tower and subwoofers. The result is solid sonic precision and unyielding tonal accuracy in any home theater or stereo configuration. This is the new standard for high-output, higher-fidelity performance. This is Hi-RES.
Precision requires exacting standards. Given the demands of today's digital sources, there is simply no way to accurately reproduce the quality of these recordings without due consideration of the components that must sustain it. The new Hi-RES tower loudspeakers from Acoustic Research were conceived as a defining statement of sound reproduction and dynamic response. Each internal component has been specially designed and fitted together to faithfully reproduce all of the dynamics of the original oudio experience, consistently and on demand. And, thanks to side-firing low frequency drivers, these sleek, elegant towers fit perfectly into any room decor and complement any architectural taste.
Acoustic Research
Dimensions (HxWxD): 37" x 9 5/16" x 17"
Driver complement: Plasma Transferred Diamond Hardened 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter
Dual 5 1/4" MagAlloy Monocoque Mid-Range
10" Side-firing High Excursion Woofer
All transducers are Magnetically Shielded
Frequency response: 32Hz-23KHz ?2dB
Crossover frequency: 100Hz and 3.2KHz
Sensitivity: 92dB @ 2.83 Volts/Meter
System impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
Recommended amp. power: 20 Watts~250 Watts
Finish: Black ash, cherry woodgrain
Some pictures below:
Acoustic Research AR9 003-small.jpg

Acoustic Research AR9 005-small.jpg

Acoustic Research AR9 007-small.jpg

Thanks.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
Post edited by Mystery on

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Nice looking speaks! Is the side woofer powered?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,103
    edited March 2012
    Options
    You are going to compare 5B's to these? Not hardly a fair comparison since they are about twice the size.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited March 2012
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Nice looking speaks! Is the side woofer powered?
    Thanks.
    No, these are passive. Other AR versions like AR3 have Carver amp powered side woofers.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You are going to compare 5B's to these? Not hardly a fair comparison since they are about twice the size.
    H9
    Hehe... I agree, these are almost 3 times heavier and almost double in height/depth than 5B's.
    JBL CF120's are the widest and then ADS L620 followed by 5B's and finally the AR9's.
    I can only compare with what I have so that's the scope of comparison. :redface:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.