Grills on or off?

Options
orcsnstuff
orcsnstuff Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Vintage Speakers
I a new to the site and have some SDA 2As that I bought back in 1988. I love the speakers and just wanted to ask
the community about how you listen to yours, if you have them. If I am listening to classical or jazz at relatively high volumes I take the grills off because the sound seems "brighter" and more lifelike to me. If I am listening to heavy metal I put the grills back on because the music is more "in your face" and seems a bit harsh.

At lower volumes I tend to leave the grills off regardless of the type of music because the sound seems subdued with them on.

Has anyone else done this or am I just being weird? :eek:
Post edited by orcsnstuff on

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Welcome to the forum orcsnstuff! I agree with your findings regarding the grill on vs. off. While I almost always listen to my 2.3TL's with the grills on, there are different music styles and masterings requiring the grills be on or off. Different people have different findings though, but as I said I agree with yours.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • orcsnstuff
    orcsnstuff Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I figured other folks did the same thing but never had a chance to ask anyone else with Polks :) Funny, but this is the first time I have actually talked to anyone who had any. When I bought mine, all my buddies had either Klipsch or Bose.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk!

I believe Flavor Flav would say, "Definitely ON!" Or did you mean speaker grills?

Stick around and have some fun!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I like my grills on cooking a fat **** steak...
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited February 2012
    Options
    With the thinner grill cloth I have now no reason to have them off unless someone comes over...
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2012
    Options
    There's like, what, maybe 3 threads on this subject already but I'll re-state... grilles on for looks and driver safety ! I also drive my car with the hood on, as much as I like the looks of my engine.:lol:
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Grills on mostly - unless I want to look at the drivers :cheesygrin:

I haven't noticed any difference either way.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • DVADER
    DVADER Posts: 14
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Polks have always looked better with the grilles off. A great looking speaker. That being said, dust agrees and seems to cling to them like crazy. As far as sound, I feel the same way being better with them off, but its probably mental.
    Monitor 5B - original owner
    RTA 15T - new to me
  • GreggC
    GreggC Posts: 23
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Pretty much the same thoughts as others. When I had my SDA-1's set up I liked the look without the grills on, sound-wise I don't think there was much difference. (I moved to a smaller house a few years ago and now the speakers are in the basement and not in use)
  • Barcus1963
    Barcus1963 Posts: 25
    edited February 2012
    Options
    DSCN1016.jpg

Grills off unless the little heathins are around to push in the cones:twisted:
    Sorry about the bad pic shot getting ready to move:cheesygrin:
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    With the thinner grill cloth I have now no reason to have them off unless someone comes over...

Just wondering which grill cloth you went with? I have been tooling with the idea for years just never got around to it.

Oh yes, to the OP, mostly I keep mine on. Agree that sometimes it depends on the music.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My grilles are off almost all the time, I just like the look of all of the drivers, don't care which speakers they are from little rti a1's or the sda-srs's. ALL GRILLES ARE ON WHEN MY GRAND CHILDREN COME OVER...JUST VISUALIZE A 3 FOOT TALL PERSON GOING AROUND WITH A SHARP PENCIL EXPLORING AND DISCOVERING ALL THE LITTLE HOLES THAT CAN BE PUNCHED SO EASILY.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Personal preference, though some speakers are measured/voiced with grills on---if that's important to you. Harbeth's are designed to be played with the grills in place, and the manual recommends them staying on for flattest response.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Yep, my Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grands are designed to be played with grills on (well, kind of...):
    Innovative and unique grilles feature an aluminum frame that incorporates
    an integral V-shaped phase diffusor to control dispersion so that they can
    be left on for all but the most critical listening
    without an adverse influence
    on performance. In fact, it can be used as an additional tuning device for
    the audio enthusiast
    , benefiting soundstage presentation both in depth
    and stereo imaging. As an additional benefit, the V-shaped groove running
    the length of the middle of the grille results in a more elegant appearance
    for the speaker.
    An additional tuning device?? Translation - they sound different with the grills on or off. For the most critical listening, there might be an adverse influence on performance... Go with whatever sounds best to you!
    Here's a pic showing the "integral V-shaped phase diffusor."
    vahg_grill.jpg
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    Options
  • kermit_xc
    kermit_xc Posts: 10
    edited February 2012
    Options
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited February 2012
    Options
    IMO naked speakers (grilles off) is something that goes out of style the moment a person graduates from using milk crates as furniture. I put that right up there with having neon lights on your car or wearing Ed Hardy clothing. If that's your bag, fine, but no thank you.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Lots of ideas to search and share with fun for all. Seriously though, at lower volumes, I always thought my Monitor 7bs sounder better with the grills off. With lighter jazz also thought off was better, though with other individuals around the grills were always on to prevent curious fingers from exploring. The right answer is "follow your ears"!
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I never noticed much of a difference on my Rtia5s sound wise. I keep the covers on most of the time mainly to protect the speakers. If i have friends over who come to talk audio and listen I will remove them. If i am talking photos they are off. If kids come over they are on.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • CTTE
    CTTE Posts: 183
    edited February 2012
    Options