Which way to go ?

RSTERN
RSTERN Posts: 287
edited February 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have alpine 9886 h/u and want to be able to have more tuning options. Would I be better to get the imprint for it or a add on processor ? What are the options in processor for eq/crossover and time alignment ?
Thanks
Rob
mains: rt16
center: csi40
surrounds:fx 1000
sub: SVS 20-39pc+
Post edited by RSTERN on

Comments

• pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited February 2012
    Don't get imprint.

List of options

(1) Bit Ten $400 dollars. Five channel output (Mids and Highs + Sub or Fronts/Rears +Sub) 31 band EQ each channel, time alignment, fully active crossover on each channel.

(2) Bit One $1000. Eight Channel output, you only need this if you want a three way up front and a sub.

(3) JBL MS-8 $699 i think. This is more of an autotuning option that would be good if you aren't OCD about your sound. It does give you a 31 band EQ to customize with after the tune.

(4) Alpine H800 processor $699 + $250 for remote - 8 channel output, 31 band each channel. Imprint + full customization after the tune.

(5) Arc Audio PS8 - the ultimate tuning machine probably $1000. Probably don't need this but its an option.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited February 2012
    For even less than any of those, you can go with a Rockford 3sixty.2 (make sure it's the '2')
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • pentoncm
    edited February 2012
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    For even less than any of those, you can go with a Rockford 3sixty.2 (make sure it's the '2')

Problem is its only the noisiest processor on the market. :rolleyes:
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • kawizx9r
    edited February 2012
    True, but during the time that I owned one that noise was so minor I had forgotten about it over time. Didn't even hear it during the silent passages of any given track.

Consider the fact that they're extremely affordable...you get what you pay for.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• pentoncm
    edited February 2012
    how much are they going for?
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • kawizx9r
    edited February 2012
    Normal 'used' going rate is like $175 to $225 on DIYMA.

I rejected a guys counter-offer of $250 for a new unit on Ebay. Didn't need it that bad, but goes to show that they can be had for cheap.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2012
    RSTERN wrote: »
    I have alpine 9886 h/u and want to be able to have more tuning options. Would I be better to get the imprint for it or a add on processor ? What are the options in processor for eq/crossover and time alignment ?
    Thanks
    Rob

Do you want your car to sound more like your home setup? Or do you just need some tweakability for some basic improvement?
  • RSTERN
    edited February 2012
    Thanks guys, very good info.Will start looking into the them to make a decison.
    Arun1963, Just need some more tweakability. The h/u doesnt offer much with out the imprint.
    Thanks,
    Rob
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2012
    For the money, the Bit Ten is the way to go. 5 channel EQ's, time alignment, great crossover slope and a very nice UI. If you already have a laptop you dont have to buy a controller or anything cause youll use it all there.

I do NOT like the 360.2 at all. They have noise issues but most processors have some. The reason why I dont like the 360.2 is that its very limited. It doesnt work off a laptop, it works off Blue Tooth so it takes a good 2 seconds for the changes you just made to be heard. This is maddening for tuning. Ive worked on a couple and ragequit after about 20 minutes.

2nd, the sub crossover wont go any lower than 50 Hz. This is fine for daily driving but horrible for competition. The time alignment is also pretty bad. Works out to 1.2 ms increments which is huge.

As long as youre not running a 3-way system (tweeter, mid, midbass and sub) the Bit Ten is perfect. All the control you need and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Dont get caught up in all the fancy features and talk about inverted phase integration processing or trans continental warp drive, all you need is a 1/3 octave EQ in 1db increments for left and right but preferably for each channel, time alignment in .5ms increments and a 1/3 octave crossover with slopes down to 24db. Anything more is nice but what I just listed is ALL you need.

The Alpine and Arc processors arent out yet and there are no firm dates on when theyll be released. Audiocontrol make some very nice units but none of them have time alignment and after you buy the remote control, youre looking at around $700 so it doesnt come close to the value of the Bit Ten if you dont need 6+ channels of output.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • RSTERN
    edited February 2012
    Just had a local guy selling a Pioneer DEH-P980BT,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-P980BT . It does have active 3-way and eq/ta. Or should i just go for the bit ten?
    Thanks
    Rob
  • pentoncm
    edited February 2012
    I already have the bit Ten so I am biased. How much is the pioneer going for? Unless its a really good deal go for the bit Ten.

The only downside of the bit Ten is that you need to use a pc to tune, no on the fly capability like a headunit.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • RSTERN
    edited February 2012
    I think I can get it for 125. Thinking about doing it to give this tuning a try, before jumping into the bit ten.
  • pentoncm
    edited February 2012
    Sounds good, can't beat that deal.

It looks like what they are referring to a three way network as here is sub + front HPF + rear pass HPF. This network won't let you go active so you will have to keep your crossovers here.

A full blown processor lets you do whatever you want but it takes a long time to get it right. The pioneer would be a nice start to give you more tuning but not too much so that you are overwhelmed. You are not going active, but you will get some time alignment and a much better eq. I don't think the EQ has L/R independence so that will make it easier to tune. It will give you an idea of what every 2/3 octave step sounds like.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2012
    Itll depend on how much tuning youre wanting to do. If youre just wanting to do some shaping and get things sounding a little better then might not be a bad idea to jump on that Pioneer. If youre wanting to really do some down and dirty tuning, then you cant beat the options and flexibility that the Bit Ten offers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D