Has anyone listed to the Emotiva XRM-6.1 Monitor?

Options
Gempler
Gempler Posts: 307
edited January 2012 in Speakers
I would love to hear some opinions of the Emotiva XRM-6.1 Monitors.
When I emailed Emotiva to ask if they could point me to any reviews that compare them to others brands they only responded by saying that because of their efficient manufacturing and direct sale model these speakers compare to units costing three times their price. That might be true but it doesn't really help as there are plenty of expensive speakers that I don't like the sound of ;) I would love to hear what people think these sound like as compared to specific other models so that I can get a sense of what they might sound like. I know one can do the in home demo but I don't want to go down that path without some expectation that these might be something that I would like.
Thank you.

http://emotiva.com/xrm61.shtm
Post edited by Gempler on

Comments

• Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited January 2012
    Options
    4 ohm speaker, so most receivers won't drive them without external amlification. Looks interesting, no experience with them thought.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That is a good point. But I am OK with regards to amplification.
    Looking to replace an old pair of KEF Reference monitors that are also 4 ohm and fear that the Emotiva may disapoint in comparison.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would fear the disappointment of Emotiva against KEF for monitor speakers. That said I have never heard the Emo's but having heard most of what KEF has made in the past 20yrs I feel safe in saying you will not like the Emotiva's more than the KEF's.

Why not look into some of the newer KEF offerings?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited January 2012
    Options
    They won't even be on the same planet, unless for some reason Emo decided to go way off the grid and abandon the house sound, which is forward and bright, in your face for HT.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Joe, Curious that you should mention the last 20 years as the KEF's are just one year older than that! And I am no fan of the more recent KEF offerings though the brand new Q 300 seem promissing. Still I can't imagine how something that sells for less today than I paid over 20 years ago could sound better. The only other monitor I ever heard that I liked as much, possibly more, than the KEF Reference was a Sonus Faber which seem to cost well over two grand today.

Heiney, that is exactly the sort of information i was looking for... if Emotiva's hallmark is a forward and bright "house" sound then they are probably not for me.

Thanks guys!
  • Joe08867
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Joe, Curious that you should mention the last 20 years as the KEF's are just one year older than that! And I am no fan of the more recent KEF offerings though the brand new Q 300 seem promissing. Still I can't imagine how something that sells for less today than I paid over 20 years ago could sound better. The only other monitor I ever heard that I liked as much, possibly more, than the KEF Reference was a Sonus Faber which seem to cost well over two grand today.

Heiney, that is exactly the sort of information i was looking for... if Emotiva's hallmark is a forward and bright "house" sound then they are probably not for me.

Thanks guys!

Which KEF's do you have? The new Q300's are very nice speakers.
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    Which KEF's do you have? The new Q300's are very nice speakers.

I have the KEF Reference 102 with KEF Kube active equalizer that sits between the pre and power amp and provides pretty impressive extended base for such a small speaker. There are two way speakers that are not ported. There is another model that people call the 102, but it is actually the 102/2 which uses one of their uni-q (?) two way drivers, is larger, and is ported. I don?t think it sounds as nice as the original 102 which I have. I think the uni-q drivers made sense on paper but the products were mostly disappointments. But I too hear that the Q 300 is very nice, but being ported I wonder if I will like the sound. I find ported speakers to generally sound artificial. But I certainly have not heard every ported speaker out there. Will try to audition them some time. Also considering the B&W CM5 which I briefly heard and liked but didn't seriously listen to them (Bestbuy seems to think it is ok to audition speakers while others speakers are playing in the same room, LOL).
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Maybe you just need to try them and see. The HT mags give nice praise for the X series speakers, but their emphasis is solely on HT performance which can be quite different from music performance.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joe08867
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have the KEF Reference 102 with KEF Kube active equalizer that sits between the pre and power amp and provides pretty impressive extended base for such a small speaker. There are two way speakers that are not ported. There is another model that people call the 102, but it is actually the 102/2 which uses one of their uni-q (?) two way drivers, is larger, and is ported. I don?t think it sounds as nice as the original 102 which I have. I think the uni-q drivers made sense on paper but the products were mostly disappointments. But I too hear that the Q 300 is very nice, but being ported I wonder if I will like the sound. I find ported speakers to generally sound artificial. But I certainly have not heard every ported speaker out there. Will try to audition them some time. Also considering the B&W CM5 which I briefly heard and liked but didn't seriously listen to them (Bestbuy seems to think it is ok to audition speakers while others speakers are playing in the same room, LOL).

I also prefer there speakers pre Uni-Q and not ported. They get a little breathy with a port there is also another driver inside with the 102/2. I have heard some of there towers with the Uni-Q drivers and really like how focused they sound especially the newer Reference series. Have your heard the new Ref series? The 201/2 is an awesome monitor. Although I am not sure they would dig as low as the Ref 102's.
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Have your heard the new Ref series? The 201/2 is an awesome monitor.

I have not tried them because I just don't like the look of them. Clearly I am a in a minority about this, but I just like a simple, plain, boring, black box. Not looking for a speaker to make a 'statement'. To me, speakers with protrusions, sculpted cabinets, gloss black finish, etc. already look dated. A plain box can stand the test of time and don't stand out like the newer stuff. The plain look is what attracted me to the Emotiva (and what kept me away from the Sonus Faber). It's just my opinion, and clearly stylish speaker rule the market and some have reasoning for their shapes that go beyond style. They are just not for me. Thanks.
  • Joe08867
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's not just about style with there shape, They do that to limit reflections. I also like the box shape myself. Probably why I have owned SDA's forever. But the logic behind the shape is sound.
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Options
    But the logic behind the shape is sound.

Yes, I do understand that and tried to acknowledge it in my last post.