Options
2»

Comments

• mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah
    My original postioning statement for LSi was "The Evolution of the Polk Sound." But Paul's "Loudspeakers For Serious Listeners" is much more inclusive and better.

Maybe too inclusive? "What, now you're telling me I'm not `serious' with my Monitor 7Cs???" (or the RTwhatevers I bought last week?) Not that I'm personally this thin-skinned, but an existing Polk customer might read an insult into that plug ... OTOH, granted the "serious listeners" line might be more appealing to someone who doesn't already own Polk speakers/isn't aware of Polk's reputation and for whom the more precise "evolution" pitch might not resonate. Then again, a consumer shouldn't be moved by any marketing plug (not to want to put our friendly local Minister of Propaganda out of a job or anything ;-) ) but purely by how the damn things sound, for the money.

I don't have a particular problem with Polk wanting + eating its cake through evolution, and introducing a higher-end line, but it does present a conundrum. Micah, nice job articulating it, and rskarvan & Lee, I appreciate the critical points you make.

rskarvan, I'd add that maybe Polk will lose some LSi sales to DIYers using your reasoning. But plenty of people aren't going to want to go that route. Me, I'm always happy to save hundreds of bucks but DIY has time costs too, as well as the risk (at least for someone like me, who's lucky to be able to build a sawhorse, much less audiophile-quality speakers) that the final result won't be up to snuff. So I'll pay a reasonable premium for engineering/construction experience. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, is all.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    like I sad before, and I am not bashing Ron or Lee in any way, that their concerns will be IMO the biggest challenge the LSi line faces vis a vis current Polk owners.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Troy, whats up with that? You feeling ok?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    It's Russ! You must be working WAY to hard, man. I think you need to put in for some time off so you can sped some quality time here on the forum. :D

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    It must be the pain medication...but I did score 14 days off!

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited December 2001
    Options
    SInce when does Jail Time count as Time off???
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey, you guys are all great. And I appreciate everyone's views on these important issues. These are real issues, and I'm glad we're discussing them. You all make some cogent points.
    go ask Matt if he likes the fact that his surname-company has decided to become a follower rather than a leader in the audio industry

I hear what you're saying. SDA is leading, using regular old technology -- especially, as we've seen "off the shelf" technology -- is certainly "following." In a sense. But other people are right, as well. little real advancement has been made in the car industry in the last 20 years. Are they all "following"? In a sense, sure. But in another sense, they are creating "new" things all the time in the form of value-added or value enhancing features and differentiations.

Sure you could build your own speakers. Plenty of people do. If you do, you're by nature not our customer. We don't normally try to appeal to people who would build their own speakers. It's a waste of our time. We (and every other speaker builder) build speakers for people who wouldn't ever build their own speakers. Just like Ford and GM build cars for people who would never build their own cars.

The leader/follower thing is a real deep subject. Some of us here in the building are I'm sure concerned that we do not lead with a technology like SDA anymore. Others are happy to make strides with today's technology and figure out ways to keep our products competitive without reliance on a unique, boutique selling point. It's an issue that we deal with here at Polk Audio, a constant struggle.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Micah, You are sooooo very wrong.

"little real advancement has been made in the car industry in the last 20 years. "

Auto Industry Advances (within the last 20 years):
    1. Fuel Injection
    2. AWD
    3. Airbags
    4. Anti-lock Brakes (ABS)
    5. Good OEM Radio's & Speakers
    6. Fuel Effeciency Improvements
    7. Disc Brakes
    8. Heated Leather Seats
    9. Electronic Ignition Modules
    10. 4 Valves per Cylinder.

By comparison, the audio speaker industry has been sleeping.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Oh, and most importantly..... the little
    key fob that unlocks your doors via remote.
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited December 2001
    Options
    RSK---Didn't Tucker introduce the Majority of those back in the 50's?
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    The amount of **** being spewed forth in some of these posts is bordering on ridiculous. Get a grip on reality.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Most of those have been around a LONG time...

Heater leather seats? Wow, a heating pad IN the seat, or in most cases, a hot air vent under the seat.

Good OEM radios? Isn't that a contridiction in terms?

Fuel injection? WOOOHOOO, show me an alcohol funny car using fuel injectors.

Disc brakes? Old news....

ABS/Airbags? Developed in the late 50's, early 60's.

4 valves per cylinder? Huh, what? What about 3 valves? What about overhead valves? More valves per cyl, a better engine does not make.

Polk is doing great, they should get to the point where they carry TEN speaker lines. A Vifa ring-radiator is a GREAT step in a VERY positive direction. (the following added for RonP only) 'IMHO'.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Okay, I blew it on the car industry analogy. But you understand what I was getting at, right?

Obviously cars are not my strong suit. Who listens to me anyway?

Micah "Unsafe at any speed" Cohen
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    don't worry micah, i never pay any attention to you:D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Pay attention to who? I wasn't paying attention.

As far as I know there are not currently too many manufacturers running any sort of proprietary technology that has shown to be of any considerable notice. Let's see, I can come up with only 2 off hand that have caught on in the mainstream. There is the Tractrix horn which has been around for years and I'm sure there's one behind Bose. Too many manufacturers claim technology when they simply modify current designs or produce something that sounds like **** just because they thought of it.

Sure, you might be able to do a DIY that sounds the same at a lesser price. But on the other hand, I don't see any speaker manufacturer giving out their driver specs., cabinet dimensions and crossover design in a nice neat bundle. I also don't see Ed Frias or John Edgar offering anything new or innovative.

Don't get me wrong! I understand both sides. If I can listen to a good speaker that sounds like something I'm looking for at a reasonable price I'll buy it. Regardless of manufacturer claims or even reviews. Good or bad. On the same note. If I can listen to and appreciate some DIY, I will be able to decide for myself. Since nobody around here has heard the LSis', I think this is kind of mute.
    Make it Funky! :)