Continuation of the "Pay It Forward" Karma - Polk SDA ACM !!!

Options
inspiredsports
inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
edited December 2011 in The Clubhouse
I've won some great karmas here at CP including Keiko's "Pay It Forward" Karma that will put a nice AM/FM/CDP in my son's car so I'm passing the torch.

I struggled with this one as it was to be the basis of cool retro project, but the reality of it is I never seem to block out the time to do it.

Up for grabs . . . a very shopworn box containing what I believe to be a brand new, never installed, Polk "Mobile Monitor Series SDA ACM Mobile Speaker System Three Dimensional Spatial Crossover Matrix"

This crossover unit, when properly wired between your amp and car speakers, allows you to recreate the SDA noise-canceling effect in your car, truck, boat, van, etc.

I don't know how highly regarded these were back in the day and if this thing is worth 30 bucks or 300 bucks, but they are very rare -- I'm hopeful anyone entering will actually install and enjoy this item, and maybe provide a few pics.

The Rules: ***PLEASE READ CAREFULLY***

-- Open to all contributing Polkies with 700 posts or more and a minimum of one year on board.
-- The winner also agrees to PAY IT FORWARD. Meaning that if you win, you agree to put something up for karma within 3 months, without exception. The winner of that karma agrees to do the same, and so on.
-- Winner may modify rules for whatever you put up for karma, but winners must agree to pass something else along in a Karma within 3 months.

If you like the idea and want to participate, just post, "Pay it Forward" and I'll put your name in a hat. I'll my wife draw a winner on Christmas Eve 2011.

Merry Christmas and Good Luck to All,
Greg

P.S.: I need to find out if this is something that might be missing from the "Polk Museum". If so, for you guys who don't want it, but would donate it to the home office if they don't have one, that would be cool. Enter under the same rules and then have me ship it to Polk at the end if you win.
VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
NAD SS rigs w/mods
GIK panels
Post edited by inspiredsports on

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2011
    Options
    This is absolutely a fantastic Karma!! SDA for your car! I would absolutely love to be in on this please! "Pay it forward". Thanks Greg for the very nice Karma offer.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wow. I had no idea this existed!:eek:

In: Pay it Forward

This will go to Polk HQ if I win.

Nice one, thanks,

Ben
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2011
    Options
    In please. This would be great in the wrx. Sda sound in the car would be awesome!
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited November 2011
    Options
    In, Pay it forward.

I will decide whether or not to donate it to Polk HQ or keep it when I win.

Awesome Karma,
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Sweet karma, not in.
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Very nice Karma! Would sound great with my Morel's and MBQuart!! IN...:mrgreen:
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • inspiredsports
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hi guys.

Please post "Pay It Forward" instead of just in.

A couple entrants need to re-post, and everyone should read post #1.
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • starkiller
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Oops.."Pay if Forward"
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • inspiredsports
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Bump to maintain momentum - Read Post #1
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited December 2011
    Options
    OOOOO! Nice!

I'm gonna hafta find something I can afford to give away if I win it.

Eh, what the hell?

Pay it Forward
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    edited December 2011
    Options
    In: "Pay it Forward"

Curious how this would work with a 2 external amps for a sub in the trunk and 2 sets of component speakers.......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • inspiredsports
    edited December 2011
    Options
    In: "Pay it Forward"

Curious how this would work with a 2 external amps for a sub in the trunk and 2 sets of component speakers.......

Take a good look at the 2nd and 3rd photos. It does show inputs for 3 separate amps wired through to 3 separate pairs of speakers.

We may have to get some clarification from Polk as unfortunately, there is not an owners manual in the box.

There is also no mention of a common ground requirement on the outside of the box, but my understanding of the SDA effect makes me think it would come into play.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Take a good look at the 2nd and 3rd photos. It does show inputs for 3 separate amps wired through to 3 separate pairs of speakers.

We may have to get some clarification from Polk as unfortunately, there is not an owners manual in the box.

There is also no mention of a common ground requirement on the outside of the box, but my understanding of the SDA effect makes me think it would come into play.

Yup, I did see that, but as you mention I know the SDA effect needs common ground in their speakers. It also would be interesting since 1 set of speakers (fronts) are run off a dedicated amp, 1 set of speakers (rears) are run off the headunit, and then you have the sub off its own amp.

I am also not sure how nice if at all this would play with Time Alignment.

If I win (doubtful but possible) dont ship it to me right away. I will see about getting clarification and if it wont work for me will donate to the Polk museum.

I am also curious if this would allow you to make non SDA speakers in a 2 channel rig SDA like.... so take my Monitor 60's and put this between them and the HK 3490 I have....... kinda like the Sonic Holigraphy (SP?) in the older Carver amps.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Sorry. Pay it forward. I have a couple of car audio players that will be up after the holidays. Great Karma. Thanks.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • inspiredsports
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Less than a week away bump . . . (please read post #1)
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Great karma, Greg. Definitely in, and pay it forward!
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Awesome! Pay it Forward!
  • inspiredsports
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Getting close to last call (please see the rules in post 1)
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd "Pay it Forward". I've had Polk Audio auto gear longer than I've had them in my home. Would sound great with my NOS Soundstream 5 channel going in my Ram QC.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • inspiredsports
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all!

Congrats to starkiller whose name was drawn from the hat.

PM me your mailing address when you get a chance.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • starkiller
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Cool!! This be cool! Can't wait to hear it in the car...especially since I drive around a thousand miles a week and listening to tunes is all important...
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Congrats starkiller! Please give us details and a review once you get it installed in your car. I'm excited to see just how well it works.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Congrats starkiller
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • inspiredsports
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Should be there Friday or Saturday Alan. Enjoy!
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels