Fail

Options
FTGV
FTGV Posts: 3,649
edited November 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This is a Hypex UcD 400 based amp that I use for the bass section of an active speaker with which it works wonderfully IMO.Though small in size these tiny ClassD modules with an appropriate power supply can deliver 200watts into an 8 ohm load and a whopping 400 into 4 ohms .(All from a single pair of Mosfet output devices).The Power supply in the pic is Hypex's custom SMPS. Unfortunately one channel decided to morph itself into a pink noise generator.:sad:Fortunately I have a spare channel so 10 mins. with soldering iron and I'm back in buisness.Since the PC board populated mainly of surface mount components and schematics unobtainium it the bad ch is unrepairable.
Post edited by FTGV on

Comments

• megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Which part has failed, Fred? :evil:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • FTGV
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hey James ,good to hear from you how have you been?

It's near impossible to trouble shoot as most components are SMD and hidden on the bottom side of the board.I'm guessing possibly a part in the input stage since an output stage failure would likely blow a fuse or worse leave high levels of DC at the output.
  • megasat16
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hi Fred,

I am well, Thanks for asking! :) It's just that I don't frequent the forums anymore. I logged in to read some old threads for the speaker building.

Sorry but the SMD amps are beyond my capabilities too. I guess you party a little too hard?:wink:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • FTGV
    edited November 2011
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »

Sorry but the SMD amps are beyond my capabilities too
    I can't meter parts I can't see. :lol:
    I guess you party a little too hard?:wink:
    HeHe Since it's power draw at idle is miniscule I leave it on all the time so it was'nt even playing music when it decided to start spitting out the nasty noise.
  • megasat16
    edited November 2011
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    I can't meter parts I can't see.

An in circuit analyzer would be cool? :p But again, it's almost as good as none without the Schema. :D
    :lol:HeHe Since it's power draw at idle is miniscule I leave it on all the time so it was'nt even playing music when it decided to start spitting out the nasty noise.

What do you say? It's time to revert back to good old pure class a that can be on 24x7? hehe
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited November 2011
    Options
    That's a really cool little amp.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    That's a really cool little amp.
    When they work, yes. :cheesygrin:

Hi Fred!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Drenis
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    When they work, yes. :cheesygrin:

Hi Fred!

I did a quick search but was unable to find a retailer. Are these a DIY kit or do you purchase them? These would make great amplifiers for subwoofer systems.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2011
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Drenis
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the link.

On the record that is just super cool to use young hip slang :cheesygrin: I would love to get into electronics to this degree. I would love to build a IA and a couple smaller ones.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hey Fred, thats what my PCB's used to look like when I used a torch for soldering. That is quite a bit of power for an itty bitty thing. Oh, and I have heard Class D amps on $125K speakers and I believe they did a fine job.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *