Latest vintage acquisition - Pioneer amp and pre-amp

mdaudioguy
mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
edited November 2011 in Electronics
Don't know what I'm going to do with these yet, but I came across someone selling unspecified "old school stereo equipment" and had to check it out. They evidently had not been used in some time and were extremely dirty. Gave them a thorough cleaning, and I think they cleaned up nice! Then I took them to the garage to see how they did with the Monitor 10s... Wow! This amp is an absolute beast. I hadn't heard my 10s sound so good. I just couldn't resist picking these up, now I don't know what to do with them!! I've also got a similar Pioneer integrated that I think I'll eventually be pairing with the 10s, but darn, these things are pretty!
Pioneer C-72 and M-72.jpg
Pioneer C-72 back.jpg
Pioneer M-72 back.jpg
Pioneer M-72 front.jpg
Post edited by mdaudioguy on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2011
    Give me the word if you want to sell them. They are nice. Where did you find em?
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    edited November 2011
    Congrats! Those sure look sweet.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited November 2011
    Arghh! I don't know what to do with these! I just hooked them up to an old, beat up pair of Klipsch Heresy II's. My brain says sell 'em, 'cause I don't need 'em, but my heart is saying keep 'em!! I should really stop listening through them. :redface::twisted::lol:

More on the Heresy's in another thread...
  • mdaudioguy
    edited November 2011
    So, this amp has a setting (knob) for adjusting input level. How do I determine where to set it? It effectively functions as a gain/volume control, but I'm controlling volume with the knob on the pre... I've just been setting the input level in the middle. Is this right?
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited November 2011
    [HTML]I hadn't heard my 10s sound so good.[/HTML]I think you answered your own question.If it works it works.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited November 2011
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    [HTML]I hadn't heard my 10s sound so good.[/HTML]I think you answered your own question.If it works it works.
    Uh, yeah, but I was hoping someone could answer the actual question I asked in post #6 about setting the input level on the amp...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,613
    edited November 2011
    Good looking find. Kind of has a vintage Sansui look to it which is my favorite.

Might find some info on audiokarma; I can't use the search function, but from 4 years back somebody mentions in the below thread that manuals for the C72 have been scanned but not archived yet. They ought to be available by now.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-22781.html

"Just FYI, the Service Manual for M-73 is in the AudioKarma Pioneer Manual Database.
    The Service Manual for C-72/C-73 is scanned but not yet uploaded.
    If you need it PM me with your e-mail address.
    Both manuals have a small section devoted to spec's and operation/connection and both are year 1990."
    Sal Palooza
  • mdaudioguy
    edited November 2011
    Thanks mrbigbluelight! I forgot that I had an account over there. So far, I've done a little searching with little success, but that's surely a great place to find some vintage info. Appreciate the heads up!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited November 2011
    I would say start with your ear though and watch the volume knob on the pre. I would start in the 12 o'clock position on the amp and see if the gain is working well on the pre. If it seems to get too loud too fast, drop the output on the amp. If it seems you have to really crank the it on the pre, up the output on the amp.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited November 2011
    Not sure but I think that input level on the amp may control the "variable output" on the back on the amp.
    That's how the Pioneer M-90 and M-91 are set up anyway. It lets you control the volume of a line source like a cd player
    that has no volume control.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited November 2011
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    So, this amp has a setting (knob) for adjusting input level. How do I determine where to set it? It effectively functions as a gain/volume control, but I'm controlling volume with the knob on the pre... I've just been setting the input level in the middle. Is this right?

That knob is to help you match the amp to the Pre. You need to get a manual for it as it explains how to set the amp according to the output of the pre. 12 o?lock is a good starting point. It also acts as a limiter of sorts so you don't clip the amp.
  • MrGlobe
    MrGlobe Posts: 401
    edited November 2011
    That is an awesome setup. What are the model numbers? I didn't see any digital inputs, is it pre-digital? Either way, what a great looking amp/pre combo. They have the Pio Elite look for sure