Dream Theater: Dramatic Turn of Events

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited November 2011 in Music & Movies
So this has been out about a month now and I was reluctant to buy it cause the last 2 (or 4) of their offerings have been kinda ho-hum but I wound up getting it and this album rocks! Its easily their best in a decade! Its 99% as good as Train of Thought which is about my favorite DT album.

Without Portnoy insisting on mixing, producing, trying to sing and having to have 3 minutes of movie clips in every song, this is also the best sounding CD theyve put out since Falling Into Infinity. Its been in my CD playing in my car for several weeks now and I have no desire yet to change it out.

Mike Mangini is outstanding! He's a little more acrobatic than Portnoy so he brings a little different style to the music.

If youre a Dream Theater fan, rejoice cause theyre back to what made them great in the first place. Theyre back to more of their original style and progressive fans will be happy cause they are tossing around some wicked time signatures in this one.

I give it a solid 8.75 out of 10 (10 being Operation Mindcrime).
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2011
    Options
    How the hell did I not see that other thread? I really gotta lay off the crack.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Mac that is saying alot. Train Of Thought is a really good album. I will check this out. Glad you posted this, cause I really like this band. Their progressive type of style is one of the reasons I like them as well. Not to mention the kick drumming is so awesome, and this shines through a good audio system, either in a good car or home audio. Also the guitar, bass, and backround fill all come together so nicely that is hard not to like them. They are not too heavy, but not too light either. Just right....

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org