Recording on CD

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I finally decided to get a stand alone CD recorder after 10 years of thinking about it. Ebay of course. I can copy CD's on my computer but to record them I would need a preamp/AD converter which would have cost about the same. I guess I really just wanted a stand alone now that the "audio" CD's are reasonably cheap. I am pretty impressed with the quality. I recorded a few LP's and although I have not compared them directly to the source feel they have a very nice rich sound to them. The recorder is a Sony rcd-w50c which preceded the current rcd-w500c. The difference is that the newer one plays mp3's and has a lower list price. They look identical. It has super bit mapping which really seems to add warmth and dynamics compared to not using it. Suposedly it moves quantization noise from the more audible midrange up to the higher less noticed frequencies. It seems to work. Electronic toys are great!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited September 2003
    Never touched "music" cd's, or stand alone recorders...don't you know that you pay a royalty to the RIAA for those things? Some of you might know how I *HATE* them...

Audio cd's have a little "present" in them, you can't make a copy of a copy on your stand alone recorder. I'd prefer to do it the hard way and use the computer; just me....
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2003
    Good stuff to know. I'm confused because I copied an lp onto a CD then copied that CD onto another CD and it worked. Maybe it is just direct CD to copy to another copy? If that is the case I have had trouble copying a copy to another copy on my pc. The maxell discs themselves were $12.81 for 50 CD's at sams club. I think that is more than normal data discs but not too much more. Seems pretty reasonable considering other media like MD's are about $1.80 each and type II cassettes are maybe $1.20 each. I remember when CD recorders first came out. You could get about 4 audio CD's for like $7 while at the same time you could get data CD's for about $10 for 30. Maybe the data discs are $0.10 each now but I really have not priced them recently. I don't mind $0.16 each for audio CD's compared to $0.10 each for the data discs.

Overall it is still the difference between copying and recording. After all, you cannot copy an LP or live sounds, they must be recorded. Not busting on you, just explaining my situation and thought process. I too hate spending extra as a "tax".

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited September 2003
    All well and good, they make 'em for a reason. Just two ways to the same problem...I like being able to do everything on one machine, use cdrw's, basically....all the things you can't do with a standalone machine.