grime on gear and speakers....??

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,017
edited October 2011 in The Clubhouse
My mind cannot comprehend how people accumulate grime and sludge,funk on speakers and gear.

I bought another set of beautiful NHT speakers and sub and it took 3/4 of a bottle of Awsome cleaner to get them and their grills clean.

I touched up the front faces of the Pioneer Elite gear also. The grime around the volume knob and selector knob was kinda gross.

I've owned a set of Pinnacles for 10 years and they've been in my living room and you can't even see finger prints on them yet.

Good grief, can't these people wash their hands when they feel slimmy? I hate to think of what this slim is that I've cleaned off of a few systems in my life. Some nicotine is going to accumulate on some gear I know, but the slimmy thick crud is what I'm talking about tonight.

20 paper towels was used today and oh yea, EVERY side of every speaker was cruddy........HOW do you do that?:confused:
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
Post edited by Tony M on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Most probably it's from cooking
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I've always wondered he same thing, other than dust stuck to the cones, my 20 year old SDA's are as clean as the day I bought them.

I've also wondered how really nice equipment ends up with scratches, gouges, and dents. You think when someone spends that kind of coin on something, they would take care of it, and be careful when handling it. I've got 20 year old amps that look brand new, yet I see 2 or 3 year old models for sale used, that are beat to hell.
  • Tony M
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I never thought of the party with fried chicken involved. That would make sense. That with some nicotine mixed in the air to stick to that grease...yep. That's what this system seemed to have on it. The grime was greasy this time more than nicotine. I did not smell KFC or the likes because the cleaner has a strong smell of it's own. Lemony.

But the fried chicken party and lets move those speakers around to make them sound better is a plausible theory!
  • Tony M
    edited October 2011
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    I've always wondered he same thing, other than dust stuck to the cones, my 20 year old SDA's are as clean as the day I bought them.

I've also wondered how really nice equipment ends up with scratches, gouges, and dents. You think when someone spends that kind of coin on something, they would take care of it, and be careful when handling it. I've got 20 year old amps that look brand new, yet I see 2 or 3 year old models for sale used, that are beat to hell.

I've seen alot of ADS speakers that have made it 20 years without a scratch too. NAD gear also. Alot of clean NAD out there because only the wealthy could afford that kind of gear. But then they get passed down as this NHT set was and they get set down on concrete floors and twisted around and scratched up alittle. I rescued this set before they were damaged very much.

I've also bought old Pioneer SX recievers that I hated to touch the darn power cord because of the filth on it being thick. Those receivers had a ton of dust inside them to. Rediculous abuse!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Doing apatment refurbs, I've seen 6 month lease units especially ones that people cooked middle-eastern food and Asian, even more than southern fried have the most residue all the way to the closets....new paint wouldn't even stick
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Tony M
    edited October 2011
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Doing apatment refurbs, I've seen 6 month lease units especially ones that people cooked middle-eastern food and Asian, even more than southern fried have the most residue all the way to the closets....new paint wouldn't even stick

Having to 409 the walls.............man, this helps to explain that furniture I see once in a while on the sides of a road with greasy stains where-ever their bodies touched. Greasy cooking in smaller homes.......not good for the dwelling or its contents or for the inhabitants either....