DCM Time window find at Goodwill today

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited October 2011 in Vintage Speakers
Just by chance my wife and I turned the car around to go to our local GW instead of going home after a morning of doing a few things. Glad we did!

A couple of weeks ago I saw a man donating some Cerwin Vega D7's I think with some gear. A couple of days later I went in to see if they were there by chance and they weren't. I know the people there pretty well and a great girl said she would go in the back to see if they were still there. She came back out and asked if they had a funny shape. I said no and she said those were all she saw at that time but they were full of stuff back there and they could be buried. We went our own way and then two weeks later....

I go in today and go to the back and there sits a pair of DCM time windows..Small ones but pretty darn good shape. I'm getting them I told my wife. Then the nice girl comes out of the back and we say high and she asks, "are those the ones you were looking for?". I said no and asked her, " are these the funny shaped ones you saw a couple of weeks ago?". She nodded her head YES. So I ended up getting these by some miracle and after testing them, They are AWSOME! All speakers work. The bass seemed shy on this one CD but on the next one, it was THERE. Huge soundfield just like I've read about. I've owned the DCM time frame 400's and they were amazing to. But these DO put out a huge soundfield with vocals dead center.

I guess people ARE starting to donate vintage gear again....:biggrin:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1032068115&&&/DCM-TimeWindow-1-Speaker-

Hartleys a few weeks ago and now these. Awsome.
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
Post edited by Tony M on

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2011
    Great find and would like to hear some time windows. I have a pair of tf 600s and am impressed with them. Positioning is really critical even just 2 inches. I found the bass to be natural and depended greatly on recording. They don't add anything.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited October 2011
    Nice find Tony! I never seem to get that lucky at the thrift shops.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2011
    Good grab. Sometimes it pays to be patient. I passed on a low end Sherwood receiver today. Got too much stuff as it is. I did pick up a nice Sony Bravia XBR 32" 1080p last week at GW for less than a C-note. Less than a year old. Works perfect.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Tony M
    edited October 2011
    I REALLY liked the sound that came from my TF 400's but the time windows treble seems to be alittle clearer If I'm remembering correctly.

I have a bookshelf model too that's amazing but one of the woofers needs looking at. The bookselfs were a gift from a friend because he knew I liked older DCM speakers alot.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited October 2011
    Congrats Tony! I can't seem to ever beat Ken to the score's at our local GW's! lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Tony M
    edited October 2011
    Good grab. Sometimes it pays to be patient. I passed on a low end Sherwood receiver today. Got too much stuff as it is. I did pick up a nice Sony Bravia XBR 32" 1080p last week at GW for less than a C-note. Less than a year old. Works perfect.
    And I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of getting that Sony 32" model that's gotten the #1 best TV reviews soon.
    The one I'm looking to get is 275.00 I think. or 350.00. Great TVs. Congrats to you too.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2011
    And I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of getting that Sony 32" model that's gotten the #1 best TV reviews soon.
    The one I'm looking to get is 275.00 I think. or 350.00. Great TVs. Congrats to you too.

From what I can see, the model appears to be excellent. I snatched the ticket off it the instant I saw it. I guess somebody just wanted a bigger one. It will either go in the bedroom, as a computer monitor, or give it to my son as he just moved to Atlanta.

Hey Gary :evil:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited October 2011
    Congrats on your find. I am a big DCM fan. I own the TF 600's,TF V8.0's, and the TF1000's. All are excellent speakers. I was actually purchasing my 1000's from a guy that Had the first pair of SRS's I had ever seen and heard. that is what turned me on to Polks. The 1000's are actually a cleare more detailed speaker than the SRS's but not nearly as impressive. I bet the Windows are even better than those. I've not been lucky enough to aquire a set of Windows yet but have been on the look out for some 3's. maybe one day. All reviews I've read give the Windows high marks. Hope you enjoy and again, congrats.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited October 2011
    Awesome grab Tony, and it sounds like they were meant to be yours from the great story, Congrat's!! Does the Mrs. like them too?
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • Tony M
    edited October 2011
    stuwee wrote: »
    Awesome grab Tony, and it sounds like they were meant to be yours from the great story, Congrat's!! Does the Mrs. like them too?

Karma is great I always say. Yes, strange scenarios have been around me my whole life. Go with your instinct when you can.

I've owned hundreds of sets of speakers and my wife could care less about anything I own audio-wise...SAD.

I met this younger couple who's wife was in heaven in my man-cave and hated to leave. Her husband could've cared less. Maybe we married the wrong spouses?
    My wife does love my, excuse me, hers since we married, pair of ESS AMT-1D's I think they are. They sit in a spare bedroom unhooked right now.