I want one of the new Chargers

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited October 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Went and looked at the 2011 Chargers today and I really want one now. These things are awesome looking! Even got WAF on one cause its got a big back seat for a child's seat and everything.

The interior has been redesigned and looks great. Everything has a soft feel to the touch, even the dash and A pillars.

This thing would be great for a stereo too. The stock location is all the way down in the bottom forward corner of the door and it has a factory speaker in the dash corners. Best part is there is no stupid fuse box in the kick panel like there is in every car nowadays. Its nice and flat. A 3" mid would work very nice there or maybe if the sheet metal is flat enough, cut a hole and stick a 4" mid there.

I can't wait now! Ill pay a few more payments on the Edge then start looking to trade.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2011
    Good luck owning a POS mopar.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2011
    Yeah I wondered how long it would be before I got a "Dodge sucks" post. Surprised it took so long.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited October 2011
    im a die hard Dodge/Mopar guy but im not liking the new Charger body.....
    mole'
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited October 2011
    Wait for the new Viper!!! What about the back seat you say?? That's why it's "Your Car"

LOL!!!
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2011
    Ive always liked the Charger but the refresh they did knocked it out of the park to me. I love the back end design. The new tail lights look awesome and remind me of the 70's models.

The Challenger is my favorite but we've gotta have room in the back cause this is the car we take on trips and such so we've gotta have plenty lot space back there.

• mole'
    edited October 2011
    Wait for the new Viper!!! What about the back seat you say?? That's why it's "Your Car"

LOL!!!

cant wait to drive the new pne.....gonna be sick
    mole'
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2011
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Ill pay a few more payments on the Edge then start looking to trade.

Now that is how you help the economy. :cheesygrin:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited October 2011
    I'm waiting to see how the SRT8 turns out. I'm still thinking about getting one of the previous-body SRT8s. Plenty of trunk room for a system, plenty of room up front for a tall driver, plenty of back seat from for scr.... groceries... and plenty of power :biggrin: With the new body style coming out, I'm sure there will be those looking to get rid of the older one.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2011
    For the same coin you can get an Accord. Better build quality, drive/ride and resale value. Also comes with great audio placements. Unless you're getting a huge discount on the dodge from your work, I'm with Cody on this Bro. Heck even the Civic which is cheaper would be a better option.

The Dodge is a sharp looker, but I just don't trust anything out of Detroit. Not after my experience with this pos Ford.
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited October 2011
    I don't like the dash of the civic. It is shaped so that if you separated the tweeter from the woofer, I don't think they would blend very well. The woofer is so far deep under the dash.

I like the Mustang because the dash doesn't protrude very much and the upgraded sound system comes with 8 inch subs in the doors. So it would be possible to upgrade and put some killer 8 inch midbasses in the doors.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • JimAckley
    edited October 2011
    Also, it doesn't come with a mean 6.1L as an option :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • arun1963
    edited October 2011
    pentoncm wrote: »
    I don't like the dash of the civic. It is shaped so that if you separated the tweeter from the woofer, I don't think they would blend very well. The woofer is so far deep under the dash.

I like the Mustang because the dash doesn't protrude very much and the upgraded sound system comes with 8 inch subs in the doors. So it would be possible to upgrade and put some killer 8 inch midbasses in the doors.

The lower and deeper you can mount the mid bass, the lesser your PLD. Hence your 50-500hz is more in phase and requires less correction via TA. The Civic dash is actually great, deep and flat except for the instrument hump. Mount your tweets like 4" up on the pillars and angle them right and you're sweet. Seperating the mids and tweets is no issue if you have TA.

I know for a fact that the equipment I'm running in my Ford would sound way better in my 2010 Civic.
  • arun1963
    edited October 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »

Meh!! 6.1 is for your home not your car. :cheesygrin:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2011
    You really think someone in the market for a CHARGER is going to buy an ACCORD?

That's like someone saying they want a new pair of work boots and so you suggest a pair of New Balance running shoes to them.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2011
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Yeah I wondered how long it would be before I got a "Dodge sucks" post. Surprised it took so long.

My bad, I'll try and check the forums more often.

After seeing just about everyone around me with any kind of mopar product just have their vehicles break down or just fall apart at the seams, it will be a long, long time before I would ever consider owning one.

If you do go with the Charger, I hope you dont have any issues. It is a very sharp looking car, even though it should have never been called a Charger.
    -Cody
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited October 2011
    I just looked up the new civic SI, and the tweeters are mounted A pillar and aimed opposite headrest. That is just shocking that they are aiming the tweeters for once. They used to be aimed up at the windshield. For the midbass, I don't think that the midwoofer is any far deeper into the actual car than others, the dash just sticks out more than others, thats why i don't like it about it. More room for kicks anyway in a bigger two door car anyway.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • exalted512
    edited October 2011
    My wife's 04 was like that. But you couldn't fit hardly anything in the doors.

Luckily, the SR's have the neo magnet...but even then, I still had to cut.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2011
    The thing about the Honda's is that they have a gianormous fuse box in the kick panel. The Charger, like the Altima, has a nice flat, empty kick panel.

I do like the Accords tho. I know they're boring and stale but theyre fun to drive, get 34 MPG, are very comfortable and feel like they're bolted together by eye surgeons.

That is the one problem with the Charger, the price. Base models are nearly $30,000!! They've got some 2011 models on sale here for $26000 but by the time Im ready to buy, they'll likely be bumping 30 grand again.

I'm not too worried about their build quality either. I owned 2 Dodge Rams and never had any issues after over 100,000 miles. Can't be any worse than this POS Ford I'm driving now. I just love the way they look. I think theyre about the baddest looking car on the road right now.

• arun1963
    edited October 2011
    Vent the 6.5 in kicks. Keep the 3" mid in a small sealed enclosure. The charger does look neat though.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited October 2011
    DODGE - Don't Over Drive Gutless Engines :razz:

All kidding aside, I like the rear end of the new Charger as well.
  • mole'
    edited October 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »

Boosted 6.1 is even better.....

the older SRT-8 have been selling in the low 20k range around here....

or just drop in a 7.0L and spray it
    mole'
  • arun1963
    edited October 2011
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Meh!! 6.1 is for your home not your car. :cheesygrin:

I'm a world champion at some things :razz: A six litre engine in that car :eek:
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited October 2011
    I really like the Charger as well. The interior looks much better and the new body looks great. I've thought about it as my next car, as I need a family type vehicle.

The 2012 version will also be equipped with an all new 8 speed automatic, which is suppose to be real nice. It bumps the mpg up to 31 on the freeway. Nice fuel efficiency for a full size car and nearly 300 hp.

My only fear is reliability. I'm not sure how Dodge is doing these days, so it may be unjustified.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited October 2011
    I used to be all hung up on reliability, but nowadays it doesn't seem to be as much of a selling point for me. The looks, fit and finish, and performance are more important to me now. If it breaks down then so be it, that's what mechanics are for.

I say that, but in the 8 years we've owned our 2 4Runners and the year now with our Infiniti FX we've literally never had one single problem, scheduled maintenance and that's it. I suppose if I were fighting with car issues my outlook would change, but as it stands now reliability just isn't that important to me.
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited October 2011
    Man, the more I look at the Charger, the more I want one.

I never thought I would want a Dodge. But they did an outstanding job on the design, inside and out.

It looks like they have a 5 year/100,000 warranty. Maybe that would be enough security.

I figured I would be practical and get a Camry this time around, but this thing comes out of nowhere.

MacLeod, which model are you looking at? I assume you are wanting the 2012?
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited October 2011
    Personally I rented a Charger once and styling issues aside, I really dislike its build quality. Granted, I had an Infiniti, and now an Audi, but I was surprised at how cheap the plastic felt (and how much of it!). Hopefully that has improved. On a funny note I also noticed that it had a lot more than 1 cupholder per person, and could seriously fit a Big Gulp in it. My old infiniti didn't even have cupholders, and the audi's are rather crummy and seem like an afterthought.

What I find best about this though, is how we make our car buying decisions while being very influenced by car audio! I chose the Audi TT over a 328ci because it would be a lot easier to keep my CD7200mkii and SR6500's. In the end, it was that which made me get the Audi.
  • JimAckley
    edited October 2011
    What I find best about this though, is how we make our car buying decisions while being very influenced by car audio! I chose the Audi TT over a 328ci because it would be a lot easier to keep my CD7200mkii and SR6500's. In the end, it was that which made me get the Audi.

Funny you should mention that. I almost bought the Charger so I could have enough room to keep my pair of JBL W15GTis :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• MacLeod
    edited October 2011
    Personally I rented a Charger once and styling issues aside, I really dislike its build quality. Granted, I had an Infiniti, and now an Audi, but I was surprised at how cheap the plastic felt (and how much of it!). Hopefully that has improved. On a funny note I also noticed that it had a lot more than 1 cupholder per person, and could seriously fit a Big Gulp in it. My old infiniti didn't even have cupholders, and the audi's are rather crummy and seem like an afterthought.

Thats one of the things they are touting now with the new revamp, the improved interior styling. The one I sat in did look very nice inside. None of the cheap plastic look and feel of the last gen of Dodge cars. Dont know how that translates into the build quality of the drivetrain though.

• arun1963
    edited October 2011

Funny you should say that, cause I know the next car I get hopefully early next year, will be be based almost solely on audio freindliness. I'll shortlist a few that fit the budget and then see which let's me do the install I want and one with the least intrusive environment. Not really fussed how it drives, how fast it goes etc. Ok I'll give 20% weightage to mileage. Reliability? Heck I'm driving a Ford so theres only an upside, no matter what I chose. :biggrin: