Rockford Audio Society Mini-Meet

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
Jay (agfrost) stopped over today to conduct some biz, listen to some music and put the feed bag on. He had some RAS required reading before we could start. (Watch out for him in the album cover game thread).

Jay has been here a couple of times and I wanted his opinion of my recently modded Music Hall 25.3 DAC. We spun some vinyl and put the DAC through its paces, both tube and SS out. All in all, a very good day!

Jay, thanks for stopping over and many thanks for the Avalon LP! That one was missing from my Roxy on vinyl collection.
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited September 2011
    Hey Rich, we'll have a mini-thread to go along with the mini-meet!

Thanks again for the hospitality, food, good company/tunes--But most of all, thanks for posting my bald spot on the Internet! Can't see that when I comb what remains of my hair. :eek: Next time I'm manning the camera!

I definitely think your mods to the MH DAC have improved the sound from your digital source. Especially cool that the SS output becomes a worthy competitor to the tube output. I'm doubly glad I brought you some vinyl so that beautiful turntable of yours doesn't get neglected with all the listening you'll be doing with your newly improved DAC!

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    Beautiful TT!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2011
    Wow--check out that tonearm!!! Nice.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited September 2011
    Beautiful TT!! Very nice set-up!!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Very cool gear.

What is that device that you have displaying all the Dream Theater albums?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2011
    I think its an Android OS phone of some sort. That or an Iphone as I know there is an app for the Squeezebox Touch which I assume is what they are playing music from at that point.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited September 2011
    I think its an Android OS phone of some sort. That or an Iphone as I know there is an app for the Squeezebox Touch which I assume is what they are playing music from at that point.

This is it. Rich can be more specific, but he's rocking a cellphone with the largest screen I've ever seen, with an app to control his Squeezbox Touch, which feeds his modded Music Hall tubed DAC (shown with top off above). A nifty setup.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited September 2011
    The Droid based phones use an app called Squeeze Commander same as iPeng app for the i-Phone. It controls all aspects of the Squeezebox and shows all the art work, which should be part of the ID3 tag when music is ripped to a music server and played via The Squeezebox.

It's the same thing I use, except Rich's phone might be larger...........lol

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Interesting... Squeezebox... Haven't heard of that either. And I thought I was geeky with my setup here...
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the kind words. The arm is a Moerch DP6. A dual pivot arm, my fav over the mechanically damped unipivot arm Nottingham supplied with the table.

Jay, I heard bald spots were a sign of extremely high intelligence. Show it with pride. :biggrin: The Burson HD op amps made a huge difference in that DAC. The DAC is fed by a Squeezebox Touch. Digital music is flac on a big hard drive.

Yes, that is a Samsung Infuse 4G droid in a Ballistic Hard Core case, which makes it larger yet. Brock, it is my way of compensating for my previous small non-smart cell phone.

The Squeeze app is free and the display on my phone is much larger and easier to read for these old eyes than my Squeezebox Controller.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited September 2011
    I'd like to get my ears on Rich's system,I bet those ESL's in that nicely treated room sound great.That TT sure is purdy.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2011
    Very nice job on the mod Rich! Those op amp boards are huge! I have heard this sytem, but not in a while. I look forward to my visit in October. Those Innersounds are fabulous speakers.

Glad to see you guys had a great time!
    Carl

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited September 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The Droid based phones use an app called Squeeze Commander same as iPeng app for the i-Phone. It controls all aspects of the Squeezebox and shows all the art work, which should be part of the ID3 tag when music is ripped to a music server and played via The Squeezebox.

H9

Actually, the app in the picture is the Squeezebox app that was put out by Logitech. I've got both apps on my Android phone, as well as iPeng on my old iPhone that's still laying around the house. They're all pretty decent, but I think I like Squeeze Commander the best, followed by iPeng. The Logitech app is still good, though. All of them beat the wireless remote that Logitech sold with the Duet.
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2011
    Fred, thanks so much for your assistance with my DAC upgrades! It sure would be nice to hook up with you. I?ve never been to Canada (not even when I was eligible for the draft). Have to put it on the list.

Carl, Jay has heard the West wall setup like three times, the same setup you heard. I don?t think you heard the South wall treated setup. Jay made some accurate remarks about the difference between the two without me giving him my opinions first. I didn?t want to influence him, and he passed the test the RAS likes to inflict upon its new members.:tongue::biggrin:

Looking forward to your visit! Some days in October are disappearing, taken by the other two guys I work with. We are still short a man. I?m sure I?ll be able to change my hours if someone is off the day you visit.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited October 2011
    I love looking at your system Rich. The TT looks fantastic as well as the ESL's! Looks like you guys had some fun, very nice!
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Thanks! The RAS has been trying to get you down here for a while. Carl will be here next week helping me put the finishing touches on my nuclear reactor.:cheesygrin: C'mon down!
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited October 2011
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Thanks! The RAS has been trying to get you down here for a while. Carl will be here next week helping me put the finishing touches on my nuclear reactor.:cheesygrin: C'mon down!

I know. Brock has told me to come down to Rockford but just want to see what works best for people for me to stop down. Normally works for a weekend for me and just have to know a little ahead of time as I have to plan accordingly with work so I don't have to come in on the weekend.

I'm pretty open for Nov and Dec so if there's a weekend that would work for you let me know and I can stop by! haven't been to chicago area for awhile...
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    edited October 2011
    Very nice set up. I am going to have to learn about that Android setup. Great music selection on with the phone.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Thanks!

Another thing I use my smart phone for is keeping a list of my current CD collection on it. When I go used music shopping, I can quickly access my library to see if I already have something. I use Media Monkey on my PC to keep track of my uploaded CD's. Triximoto has an Advanced Report 6.0 that creates a single HTML document listing all the artists you have in MediaMonkey. You click to view their albums, and have the option to click and view an albums tracks. The album artwork is in full color. Much nicer than a plain album list.

My bud Blake put me on to this. He has his uploaded on a web server due the size of the file (he has mucho CD's!). I don't have any web space so I stuck mine in the downloads folder of my Droid and it works. File size depends on how many CD's you have ripped. My advanced report folder is only 18MB. The view track option adds quite a bit of size to the file. I'd like to find something like this for my vinyl collection. I have more records than CD's and sometimes come home with a duplicate.

You have to forgive my blurry, hand held existing light shots.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited October 2011
    Beautiful setup.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2011
    so the RAS is still on my bucketlist...

vinyl...all good to go
    digital...don't spank your monkey

:cry:

RT1.....
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

The possibility is astronomical that you have in fact exceeded DisneyJoe in the Extremus Geekus category, well at least its very very close.

RT1....mama's got a squeezebox....daddy doesn't sleep at night...it goes in and out.