Sealed lp, is it new or is it used???

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Here is a first for me. I received a used LP in a new looking case with standard celophane covering! WTF??? I looked very closely at this lp before tearing it open because of some feedback a guy had saying something about having lp's re-sealed. I'm not talking about the semi-large covers you sometimes see on imports. This is the standard wrap used on typical new lp's. Absolutely perfect clear down to the imperfections if you know what I mean. So how did I know it was re-sealed? A previous owner left some mag articles in it which had been ripped out of several different magazines...
madmax

Whew...
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2003
    When I worked in a computer shop/news stand a long time ago...we opened new games and copied them, then we would re-shrinkwrap them. It is a very easy and cheap thing to do.

The plastic comes on a roll, and you just slide the item inside. Then you place the plastic end on a strip sealer(18" long)...like a vaccuum sealer has, and it just heats and melts each end. You would now have a game in a loose fitting plastic sleeve. Now the trusty heat gun comes out, and you just wave it around until its tight. NEW. We sold so much stuff like that it was unreal. I was young and poor, and addicted to **** and computer games....wait, did I say that aloud? I have seen these ancient things at yard sales and going out of business sales.

Here is what one looks like, tho' the one I used was much older:

http://www.officezone.com/shstand.htm
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2003
    So this thing would seal to look just like a new lp? Seriously, absolutely no difference and I know what the real seal looks like. I'm not just assuming it was sealed by something. I REALLY looked at it very critically before opening...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2003
    Yep, I sealed games like they just came from China.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2003
    I had the same scam pulled on me. A guy was selling audiophile CD's on eBay that he was resealing. You couldn't tell the difference except the one he sold me had fingerprints on the inside of the booklet. Other buyers started catching on and he was booted off eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk