KLH Model 19

Options
Cayuga
Cayuga Posts: 480
edited July 2011 in 2 Channel Audio
I found a mint condition KLH model 19, I'm trying to come up with an offer. I looked around the net and really didn't find enough info to feel comfortable making an offer. On Ebay a pair of just model 19 speakers are sitting at $113, what would a minty unit be worth? Thanks, I really want this KLH it's very cool looking and sound darn good.
Post edited by Cayuga on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I dunno,, maybe start at a buck and a quarter.:confused:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Cayuga
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This is a piece of equipment that I don't need at all, but man is this thing nice.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,136
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I don't know what a "KLH 19" is. I know the KLH 18 (FM tuner), and I have a KLH 21 (ss FM table radio) and a KLH 24 (I think it's a 24) receiver/record player system (sans speakers, unfortunately)... but I am drawing a blank on what a 19 is.
  • Cayuga
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The 19 is receiver/record player (FM only) and two speakers with two 4" or 4.5" drivers in each. I want this 19, it's in perfect condition and really sounds nice. A great office system or bedroom rig.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Cayuga wrote: »
    The 19 is receiver/record player (FM only) and two speakers with two 4" or 4.5" drivers in each. I want this 19, it's in perfect condition and really sounds nice. A great office system or bedroom rig.

I hear ya, I've had a soft spot for the SuperScope Quadradial combo just like this minty one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmvzGIPF80
    If it looks as good as that one, I don't think $100 is an insulting starting point, if they seem to balk, pull out 6 $20's and spread them on the table with another 2 in your pocket for barter, over $160 is getting into the heart over the head territory, but that's just me :smile:

With those KLH speakers I bet it does sound really great, and a nice conversation piece for your friends when they visit. If you do get it, please post up some pics, I can't find any...and Good Luck!!
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That is a definate cool-man item.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I believe I remember the 19, and there was a model 20 as well. One system came with a Dual turntable and the other came with a Garrard turntable. The rest of the system was the same, an FM receiver with a pair of small speakers.
    We sold them at Stansbury Stereo in the early 1970's. I hope I have that right.
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited July 2011
    Options
    the twenty is physically identical to the 17 - except it's 4 Ohms and has an rca type recepticle....

and the 19 looks like it's got two mid-woofers and a port - as opposed to an 8 inch woofer and tweeter*

I've never bought a pair of 19s yet
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • Cayuga
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You do have it right, the model 19 has a Garrard table. The one I'm looking at is 1968 vintage, first purchase made by a couple doing grad work at Cornell. They used it for years and took very good care of the system. I want it bad!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Back then the competition, in record changers, was between Dual (German made) and Garrard (British built). The single play tables were considered for use by "HiFi nuts", people who didn't want to sacrifice performance for convenience. I can clearly remember explaining the advantages/disadvantages of both designs.
    In those days the changer outsold the single play manual tables by a considerable amount. Just think of all those stacked records one dropping on the other as it was spinning. Then there was the automatic single play table that would play one record at a time, but had an automatic cue and lift off at the end. All of the changers had that feature, just remove the multi-play spindle and replace with the shorter version. Then there was "semi-automatic" you did the initial cue but the arm picked up at the end.
    A Dual 1019 is probably worth more now than what they sold for then. I must have setup hundreds of them over those years. Garrard had two "plinth" styles, one plastic and the other made of wood. Two piece dust covers that allowed the front section to hinge up or down on the back section. We carried Thorens and the TD125 with an SME3009 and Shure V15 II was the SOTA then and probably would still sound very good.
    Pioneer had the PL-41 table which was my first single play table, I swapped out the Pioneer arm for one made by Stax. It really sounded great!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I worked for an audio shop in Bay Shore, NY 1974-55 and Pioneer "PL" series turntables w/Pickering carts was my specialty, only because of how fast they sold. We couldn't keep the tables in stock.
  • stuwee
    edited July 2011
    Options
    We carried Thorens and the TD125 with an SME3009 and Shure V15 II was the SOTA then and probably would still sound very good.

Thank you Ken! I've owned that same set up since I was in high school, right around 1978, My Thorens is a MK II and my Shure is a V15 IV, but it smokes alot of newer stuff :smile: Unfortunately it suffered it's first problem in 35 years, the arm wire to the SME RCA plugs finally gave out, an easy fix with some solder.

Cayuga, sorry for stepping on your thread, but I already told you, get that KLH 19, or I'll come over there and beat you with something unpleasant :tongue: :biggrin: Nice ones like that don't show up very often!
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2011
    Options
    At the store I worked for the owner wouldn't let us display the AR-XA and we would get grief if we recommended it too highly. There was such little profit in it they only carried it to get the speakers. But even then the speakers were so heavily discounted by the mail order companies (Crazy Eddie) that nobody who was paid on commission would push them very much.
    The Pioneer tables were excellent, beautiful looking and worked forever. The big "three" were Pioneer, Sansui and Sony and most stores carried at least two out of the three. There were "receiver wars" one company offering more power than the competition or some kind of feature benefit.
    The KLH all-in-one combination was for someone who didn't want all of the fuss of separate components but wanted good sound. I would play a record on the KLH then play the same record on the "main system" that allowed you to switch between receivers and different speakers. This way people could hear for themselves the differences.
  • Cayuga
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Please don't beat me. I'm trying harder than on any other deal to get this Model 19, the problem is those Cornell grads are to smart to give it away. If it wasn't for these damn computers, I would have this in my house for a twenty.
  • stuwee
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Cayuga wrote: »
    Please don't beat me. I'm trying harder than on any other deal to get this Model 19, the problem is those Cornell grads are to smart to give it away. If it wasn't for these damn computers, I would have this in my house for a twenty.

Idle hands do the Devils work...times a wastin' Cayuga :eek:

Hurry, or the Langoliers will getcha....
    Evil4.jpg

Seriously, I wouldn't go over $160, unless your flush with cash.
  • Cayuga
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the number, that was the original point of this post. I have so little cash that I can't pay attention.
  • TechRescue1
    Options
    I just came across a 19 in my parents house as we were cleaning it out. Curious what it may be worth and if there's a market for it. Haven't checked it to see if it runs yet, but that's next.