The Official Demo Song Thread

Options
AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
edited June 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I thought this thread might be a good idea, we'll see if the idea catches on.

Yes I know we already have demo material threads created in the past, but those typically revolve around an album and commonly turn into statements like "Anything by Steely Dan" ranging all the way to "Anything by lady Gaga". Leaving the (in)accuracy of those statements aside, they're not always that helpful.

So the point of this thread is to create a usable list of demo SONGS. I'm not the boss of you, but it would be great if we could keep this thread nice and tidy so that it can serve as a good reference. Ideally your post would contain the following elements:

- Artist
- Album
- Track
- Any note about a special pressing or special version
- Application, used for speakers, headphones or both
- Why you selected this track for demo material and what you're listening for.

If we do this right this could be a tool not only for us but with enough activity may get some internet traffic as well so let's try not to muck it up.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite and start first. One 'song' per post.

Media: SACD

Artist: Doobie Brothers

Album: Captain and Me

Track: South City Midnight Lady

Note: Mobile Fidelity Remaster

Application: Overall system demo

Reason: Superb mix and clean sonics. Great for showcasing what separation, detail and spacious soundstage is all about.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'll bite on this one, I use Lad... Uhh...

Old Crow Medicine Show
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Tear it down
    All I own is the CD
    Don't do head-fi
    Love this, great blend of instruments, good vocals, very good flow to the track.
    I love most of the middle of this CD, the whole album is great although, a little rockin' bluegrass. There is some great back round mandolin, or guitar, that on lesser systems I've had a hard time picking out (PUN!) - If you've never heard this band or CD, I'd really recommend them, some good time music!

Ahhh.. Erik - Nice post, a lot cleaner then mine, but I'm too lazy to clean it up, I can't wait to get an SACD player, soon enough...
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Media: CD

Artist: Bryan Ferry

Album: Boys and Girls

Track: Stone Woman

Note: none

Reason: Very clean CD. This song is very layered with different sounds and nuanced sonics. Great for using to see if system components can resolve each layer distinctly with detail, or if details get 'mushed' - you should be able to push in and out of each layer and hear each separately, yet part of the whole. Good driving bass line, too.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2011
    Options

Artist: Hans Zimmer

Album: Gladiator

Track: Barbarian Horde

Reason: This one is a tough track for many systems, but is a great test of dynamics, it'll let you know real quick how well your system can handle dynamics. It's one of the first tracks I always use to demo gear.
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2011
    Options

Artist: Larry Carlton

Album: Collection

Track: High Steppin'

Note: none

Reason: Another very clean CD. This track has soft and loud passages - good for demo'ing system reactions to track details when the music levels go very soft, then punch louder. Good sonics top to bottom - sublime guitar work w/ spacious sonics.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'll take a turn here also
    Media :cd
    Artist:Jimi Hendrix
    Album:Axsis Bold As Love
    Track:Bold As Love
    Note:Stereo Seperation ,Instrument phasing
    Aplication:Demo app for speakers
    Reason: CD has effects never used on albums before and the phasing shifting of feedback was controlled and deliberate.Guitar work beyond reproach only to be copied never to be surpassed.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Def Tom Petty "Wildflowers" the whole CD sounds awsome. Also, Collective Soul and eventhough it's old "Talking Heads" Little Creatures.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Media- Youtube..but I'm sure a CD would totally sound better.

Artist- Grace Potter, Joe Satriani, Steve Kimock, Reed Mathis, Willy Waldman and Stephen Perkins

Album- Cover @ the Jammy's

Track- Cortez the Killer

Note- Just go listen to it!

Application- Vocal and Instrumental Sm?rg?sbord

Reason- Grace Potter is easy on the eyes...and the music is good too!
    Too much **** to list....
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2011
    Options

Artist:
    Massive Attack

Album: Heligoland

Track: Splitting The Atom

Application: Great for speakers and Headphones

Reason: Very good bass, great dynamics, great range of vocals. This track WILL test your system. It'll sound good on alot of gear, but to get the most out of this track you'll need a well rounded system.
  • deronb1
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Clapton's "Pilgram" will give your system's low end a total workout. Still stays smooth and it sounds like he is in the room playing.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Please read the first post, let's try to stick to the formula
  • deronb1
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ok...i could never really follow directions ;)
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Media: CD/SACD

Artist: The Eagles

Album: Hell Freezes Over

Track: Hotel California (Live)

Application: Speakers & Headphones

Reason: In short, Midbass, Imaging, "liveness" (is that even a word?)

To stretch it out a little bit: The percussion section is mixed well with the shaker using both speakers. The kick drum has a nice, strong midbass attack that precedes a hearty tuned thump, instantly giving you an idea of a system's bass tightness/boominess. I also love the way the guitars are detailed, but not overly detailed to the point where they're edgy and annoying. I particularly enjoy the guitar solo at the end, as that really gives you an idea of the imaging of the system. Typically they sit just a hair inward from each speaker, but I've had systems present them outside of them, which absolutely blows my mind. The vocals are fantastic as well. Even the audience cheering comes through excellently.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • Erik Tracy
    edited August 2011
    Options

Artist: Chris Botti

Album: Night Sessions

Track: All Would Envy

Note: Standard initial release

Reason: Scoff if you will - smooth jazz...so be it - but this track will make you weep at the composition and the clarity. Sure - redbook cd, but this is a clean track top to bottom and left to right. Female vocals by Shawn Colvin will reveal if your speakers have what it takes. Great demo track.

• KellyMic
    KellyMic Posts: 166
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Media: Flac / CD

Artist: The Crystal Method

Album: Vegas

Track: High Roller

Application: Low-end (Bass) test

Reason: I use this song to demo every singe speaker before I buy it. At the 00:34 second mark a very low drum kicks in. Many many systems I have auditioned the speaker rattles and distorts badly when this note hits. If a speaker can't handle it then I move on. My LSi25's handle it perfectly!
    ---
    Polk Studio Monitor 4.6 Series 2's, Polk RT1000p's, Polk LSi25's, Boston Acoustic VR-975's
    Crown D-75, Crown CE1000, Crown CE2000
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Media: FLAC / CD / SACD

Artist: Dire Straits

Album: Brothers in Arms

Track: Brothers in Arms

Application: Overall

Reason: I actually created a CD of demo tracks last year when I went to audition the KEFs. I found that this song, more than the others, helped me assess the overall capabilities of the speakers (other demo gear being different aside). I find that the song's intro (before the drums kick in) is a great indicator for clarity / higher frequencies. While it's not a fast song, there is a solid bass drum 'thump' and if a speaker can hit it solidly, it's a good sign. Finally I like to gauge the midrange based on the guitar riffs and Knopfler's voice itself. It's one of my favorite songs and (at least to me), that album is well recorded. It's probably one of the most frequently played tracks on my Q900s.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • trans am
    trans am Posts: 91
    edited January 2013
    Options
    - Artist: TEARS FOR FEARS
    - Album: SONGS FROM THE BIG CHAIR
    - Track: THE WORKING HOUR
    Vinyl

I listen to this song or ROXY MUSIC Avalon SACD when testing new rigs.
    Adcom GFP-750
    Adcom GFA-555II
    Monitor Audio silver RX2
    NAD T585 SACD
    Technics sl-1200mk2 / ortofon m2 blue (signal cable/ Eichmann mod / Sumiko HS-12 Headshell
    Jolida JD9 II / Mulllard Tubes
    SignalCable Ultra speaker cables
    SignalCable Analog 2 IC's
    "ROMANCE WITHOUT FINANCE IS A DAMN NUANCE CAN YOU DIG I???"
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Media: Vinyl

Artist: Pink Floyd

Album: Meddle

Track: Fearless

Reason: Lot's of great detail. Nice bass line. Good vocals. Acoustic guitar parts should really snap.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited June 2013
    Options

Artist: Jack Johnson

Album: In Between Dreams

Track: Better Together/Never Know

Application: 2.1

Reason: Both tracks are super smooth and easy on the ears even at high levels. Better Together has a great descending bassline that will make whether or not you've chosen the correct crossover setting painfully obvious. Never Know has great kick drum sounds that are punchy but not too in-your-face. I actually used these two tracks when integrating my sub.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • drummer86
    edited June 2013
    Options

Artist: Radiohead

Album: Amnesiac

Track: Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box

Application: 2.1

Reason: It was really hard to follow the rules with this album. I could have listed nearly every track for a variety of reasons. Instrument separation is fantastic. Great full range demo track. It's amazing how the synth sounds can seem super forward, but never overpower the vocals in this track.

Runner up here was the next track on the album, "Pyramid song." Love the way the drums sound after they come in around 2:00. I've also used "Hunting Bears" for more than one speaker demo.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

• drummer86
    edited June 2013
    Options

Artist: NIN

Album: The Fragile

Track: Even Deeper/The Pilgrimage

Application: 2.0 or 2.1

Reason: Even Deeper: If you have a nice subwoofer and aren't sure around the structural integrity of your home proceed with caution here. Even in 2 channel this is a fun one to watch the drivers bounce.
    The Pilgrimage: The soundstage in this is positively enormous. It makes my baby Totems sound like 6 foot tall towers. I'd love to hear it on an actual set of 6 foot towers...

• bthogan
    bthogan Posts: 151
    edited June 2013
    Options

Artist: David Bowie

Album: Station To Station (Bowie remaster)

Track: TVC15

Application: imaging/dynamics

It's a very well-produced cd; on this particular track, there's a significant difference in dynamics between the "chorus" and the rest of the song; there should be an effect of the entire track projecting more aggressively during that chorus. If it's there, you're good.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited June 2013
    Options

Artist: Steely Dan

Album: Everything Must Go

Track: Everything Must Go

Note: Tone out the wazz... the intro tells it all

Application: Test Complete Audio Spectrum

Reason: From bass to female vocals, cymbals, vocals, sax,piano,percussion and guitars are all spot on and the mix is perfect as you would expect from the guys who named the band after a sex toy.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |