Polk enters headphone market

124»

Comments

• cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,644
    edited September 2011
    Does the volume control only work on the I-stuff, or will it work on my SanDisk mp3 player?

BTW the specs are up on Polk's website.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • Mon40CSMM10Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    edited September 2011
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Who cares about spec's on a pair of headphones? Seriously? It's a pair of headphones not full size loudspeakers. The frequency response range for all headphones is damn near the same from every manufacturer that makes them. 20-20 is all you need to expect, the rest is a bonus.

I care.

I've used a much pair of Sennheiser portable headphones that were something like 50 Hz to 16,000 Hz--definitely could tell the missing bass and treble frequencies (I didn't buy them, they were included free back when I bought a cassette walkman type stereo from when the DOW stores still existed) even with bass and treble eq set to +6 on the cassette walkman type stereo. I've used (and still have) Sony MDR-E828 earbuds with specs of 20 Hz - 20000 Hz but to me the bass sort disappears around 40 Hz, I even put test tones through them and to hear the lower bass (but still not the lowest bass) I have to hook them up to my receiver and turn the volume to something like -30 dB with the max being -8 dB. I've used Koss The Plug that went down to 10 Hz in the specs and yet there was too much exaggerated bass, not the sound quality I wanted despite the low bass. I'm currently using Sony S2 J11 headphones with a frequency response of something like 16 Hz to 22000 Hz, they are decent, but still need a bass boost with an MP3 player equalizer (Rock or Jazz setting). I still have Koss TD-61's with a frequency response of 25 Hz to 15000 Hz--seems like not such good numbers on paper--and yet it seems they actually have lower bass and higher treble than the numbers would suggest; however, they are not very portable.

You get the idea. So yeah, it matters to me. Specs give me a good idea of where the frequencies roll off in the bass and treble. After that, it's how good the overall sound is.

I also understand that Polk now has the specs on the website so now I'll give their headphones the consideration they deserve. Edit: And after seeing the very impressive specifications for the UltraFit 500's, I will be getting the UltraFit 500's this weekend. I'll be able to get more output per volume unit with the combined ohms/sensitivity, which means my battery on my MP3 player will last longer. Furthermore, the frequency response for those exceed my expectations.
  • VitalVital Posts: 747
    edited September 2011
    Frequency Response of 3000 is 8Hz-24Khz while 500 is 18Hz-23Khz
    Which makes me raise my eyebrows lol. Really??? 3000s will go down to as low as 8Hz? WTF?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • DrenisDrenis Posts: 2,870
    edited September 2011
    If there placed in your ears properly I'm sure. Some models of in-ear ear buds sound like crap when not placed in your ear properly but when a proper seal is made... WOW the bass is awesome.
  • dorokusaidorokusai Posts: 25,100
    edited September 2011
    I care.

That was meant generically speaking MON40 as again, the spec's are not that radical between any pair of headphones. Excellent reply however and totally understand what you'e saying.
  • Slinger182Slinger182 Posts: 512
    edited October 2011
    I've had the 500s for a week now and really like them. They sound way better than what I used to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-AS20J-Active-Headphones-Hangers/dp/B0015AHRFK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1318011359&sr=8-7

I have weird shaped ear canals from having tubes in them as a kid and have never been able to get a pair of ear buds to fit right so they sounded decent.

They don't seem to be near as loud as my old sony's but they don't need to has they block out the outside noise much better. I went cycling for a few hours and very much enjoyed these new Polk headphones.
    Panny 55-st30 plasma
    Pioneer vsx-1121
    Parasound 2100 pre
    b&k tx4430 amp
    Oppo bdp-83
    Monster HTS 3500
    polk TSi500s Vr3 Fortress modded
    polk CS20 center channel Vr3 Castle modded
    polk Owm 3 surrounds
    polk PSW505
  • djperez81djperez81 Posts: 384
    edited October 2011
    i won a pair of the 3000's at PolkFest 2011. I never knew headphones could sound so goood. Sal is right you have to find the correct ear bud to fit your ear if not they wont sound nearly as good.
    Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.
    -Jimi Hendrix
  • bigaudiofanaticbigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,422
    edited October 2011
    If they were not sport headphones I would snag a pair. But that will probably be down the road.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • engtazengtaz Posts: 7,502
    edited October 2011
    I asked my son if I could get back the 3000's we won at PolkFest 2011. He politely said no and it was because these were the best he has heard. He has been through a bunch of different earphones. Love the bass form them.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
124»