Need an air compressor...

xj4094dg
xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
edited June 2011 in The Clubhouse
OK. I'll be buying the old man an air compressor for Father's Day and need suggestions/experiences as I don't know **** about them.

My dad is VERY frugal. The thought of spending ANY money is frowned upon unless absolutely necessary. He doesn't care that I can afford it, he won't enjoy an expensive gift. Hell, he CAN'T enjoy an expensive gift. He's just not wired that way (he'll be turning 78 years young this December).

Anyway, he has a small wood-shop and has a need for a small compressor occasionally. Budget is around $200 - $300 bucks. If I spend more he won't be happy at all.

I read a few reviews saying some Craftsman compressors died after about a year and a half...I would like to avoid that if possible. What other brands should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Post edited by xj4094dg on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    What is he going to use it for?

If you're sanding, minimum of 20 gallons is what he'd need...so let us know!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited June 2011
    Get him a nicer used one off of CL and LIE about the cost, he'll love it all the more if he thinks you "robbed" someone for it.:smile: My single stage, 2cylinder, 230volt Sears compressor has worked fine since 1989, the tank wasn't too great though.
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
    Quincy, Ingersoll Rand, Dayton & Emglo are "better" brands.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited June 2011
    one very large home improvement store type, one gigantic, commercial, wont use or let anyone borrow or buy.

Hes a little, you know.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2011
    Forget that brand name stuff. At price points of $600 or less, they are all made in China by one or two companies and they just slap different plastic bits and stickers on.

Size doesn't matter too much either. You need to know CFM rate at 90 PSI. Depending on what he's going to use it for, that matters. If he's doing woodworking, I'd imagine that the hottest air tool he needs to use is a sander and they typically need at the minimum around 6 CFM at 90 PSI.

So something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/2-hp-29-gallon-150-psi-air-compressor-68127.html

Should be adequate to his needs.

Here's a good guide for choosing an air compressor.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/inthegarage.php

BTW, you want an oiled one because 9 times out of 10, they are rebuildable if they break. You need to maintain them more but they usually last much longer. The two stage, oiled compressors are usually quieter too.

If you can give more information on exactly what kind of tools he's using an air compressor for, that would help alot in giving a better recommendation.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited June 2011
    I have a 20 year old Campbell Hausfeld, 220V, 5HP unit. It's a bit of a beast but at least I am able to clear out the irrigation lines in the fall. I also use it to clean the riding lawnmower after each use.

When I was younger my father always thought I was crazy for wanting to get one for our family. Then he bought one and realized all the cool things you can do with it. He was instantly hooked.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2011
    I have a Craftmans model that was sent to me out this way for work. It performs well in all situations, very easy to move (has wheels) and can power all of the air tools we use in the field. I read some of the reviews, but I'll stand behind the name anyway since we have been using this one in the field since 08. The only problem I ran into was with one of our Craftsman air tools. I sent it back to my boss, he returned and they gave him a new one on the spot since the item was in stock.

If your still hesitant, Ingersroll our Campbell Hausfeld would be good choices also. Everything in our shop is Craftsman, since I get to order all the tools, minus a High pressure washer which is Campbells.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2011
    Porter Cable.....i've had mine for a couple years and use it as much as humanly possible. Runs all my guns with ease and isn't too loud either.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited June 2011
    I have Porter Cable, Rol-Air, and Hitachi air compressors between the woodshop and farm use. Lowes had a nice twin-tank Hitachi on sale for $269. The main got-cha on the better air compressors is they will really tax a 15 amp circuit at start-up, you're better off if you have a 20 amp circuit available.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    edited June 2011
    The advice on the 20 amp circuit is right. I have had several 220 portable compressors and never had a problem but bought a 1 horse speedaire and it has problems starting on some 15 amp plugs but never on a 20 amp. I have had a 5 horse Quincy for over 20 years with no problems, and no issues with any of the 220 portables, all are oil lubricated no oiless.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2011
    What ever brand you get, just stay away from the oil-less type compressors, there way too noisy.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
    One item of concern in a woodshop enviroment is the air cleaner, it's design, whether it can be cleaned/washed or if it's a "throwaway". I refitted mine with a Solberg unit that is similar to a K&N filter for cars/trucks, wash it and re-oil it and back in service.
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited June 2011
    Hey xj, if you are looking for a portable compressor check out this blog post on toolmonger.com that was just posted a few days ago:

http://toolmonger.com/2011/06/01/tm-portable-shop-compressor-test-part-ii/
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    Zeros wrote: »
    Hey xj, if you are looking for a portable compressor check out this blog post on toolmonger.com that was just posted a few days ago:

http://toolmonger.com/2011/06/01/tm-portable-shop-compressor-test-part-ii/

nice blog!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    gdb wrote: »
    Get him a nicer used one off of CL and LIE about the cost, he'll love it all the more if he thinks you "robbed" someone for it.:smile: My single stage, 2cylinder, 230volt Sears compressor has worked fine since 1989, the tank wasn't too great though.
    Ron-P wrote: »
    What ever brand you get, just stay away from the oil-less type compressors, there way too noisy.

Ditto to both the above; I bought an old Sears 220 compressor with 20 gallon tank for $80, used it for 3 years, then sold it for $100~ it was an oiled type.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited June 2011
    Just got one of these a week or two ago. Lowes is clearing them out with about 20% discount locally. If you have a store nearby, might check with em. This one will handle lighter duty, residential duties.

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3159341&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Campbell%20Hausfeld%201.3%20HP%2020-Gallon%20125%20PSI%20Electric%20Air%20Compressor%20HU351000DI
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited June 2011
    I have a small Makita MAC700 compressor. It is a nice compressor. It is really quiet. It works good for around the house but if your wanting something to run air grinders with then a larger compressor would be needed. This one would run small finish nailers and stuff with no probelm.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=460
    mac700_l.jpg
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2011
    I have a Husky 25 gallon oiled compressor. I've had it for close to 10 years, thing still runs like a champ. Just fired it up yesterday.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited June 2011
    I have 2 compressors around the house.

A small and cheap 2 gallon Cambell Hausfeld for brad nailers and staplers (trim work and picture frame building).

FP2095_medium.jpg

The other is a bit larger. A 10 gallon compressor for running roofing nailers, framing nailers and couple other air tools. I also use it to blow out the garage after I'm done working on projects. Since I don't run the hell out of this compressor and it is for occasional use I just decided to get it from Harbor Freight.

image_9369.jpg

These 2 seem to run fine on a 15a line, but I have heard a couple of friends of mine install 20a lines because their compressors would trip breakers.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • niente
    niente Posts: 68
    edited June 2011
    I recently picked up a Hitachi kit within your budget from Lowes

came with compressor, hose, 15ga finish nailer and brad nail

as a sometimes heavy weekend warrior it works very well for me
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    And why are we reviving a 6 year old thread??? :s
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    FestYboy wrote: »
    And why are we reviving a 6 year old thread??? :s

Because it's her lame way of endorsing and advertising her product for free
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I didn't even look at the link...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2017
    I have a Makita as well (Mac2400), and for a 4.2 gallon--it impresses. Oiled as well. I've run impact wrenches, frame nailers, etc. No problem at all. Gets up to pressure quickly, and is fairly quiet.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2