Can we have a computer section?

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
Talking in the video card thread got me thinking so I wanted to ask the powers that be if we could have a sub-forum just for computers and see what other members thought. We get questions about browsers, video cards and what not kinda often and I gotta feeling we have a lot of closet computer nerds in here like me that are just itching for a new place to talk about overclocking, benchmarking and a lot of other stuff that guarantees we'll never get laid. Thoughts?
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Maybe we can talk sound cards or streaming
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think conversation comes up every little while.. If i remember right, there was a consensus that sub-dividing out the forum so much wasn't desirable.. and people really didnt mind the questions being posted wherever they seemed the most appropriate..

Myself, I just use the "New Posts" button most of the time anyway to see what's new.. or Search..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont see enough of those topics popping up to warrant another area...

Places like Audiocircle suck because there are so many forums
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Im down
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think it's a pretty good idea. Think about how much the home computer is becoming a source of the home entertainment system. Your music , pictures and videos all live there.
    It's becoming a streaming downloading world and nothing wrong with evolving the forum.
    We probably could remove a section and add that in its place to keep the area's to a minimum.

I suggest getting rid of the "testing area" and replacing it with"Computer integration".
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2011
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Much like the "home theater" forum I suggested, I'm sure most would see this to fall under the "electronics" forum.

Skip go chase a tornado..JK:wink:....becareful
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't hold your breath but I just wander around. The information that gets posted about computers and gaming is nice to read...a welcome breather from this audio BS at times.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Uh, no.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't mind one pertaining to digital audio/video, streaming etc.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That would be nice. The subject "streaming" does seem to come up quite a bit. Would be nice to have and something relative to PC's. Hopefully they approve.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    That would be nice. The subject "streaming" does seem to come up quite a bit. Would be nice to have and something relative to PC's. Hopefully they approve.

Streaming and HTPCs!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hey, why don't we have a car forum? Let's add a woodworking forum too! :rolleyes:

Mac, this is as close as you're likely to get

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't think we need any more sub-forums. The problem with dividing it up too much, is that many people won't see those computer based posts if they're in a computer sub-forum, but they would see them if they were in the electronics forum. Most of the posts I see about computers here are about how to stream audio from a computer to a stereo, or about HTPC's etc...which would essentially just fall into the electronics category.

Someone mentioned a "Home Theater" category as well. Again, I don't personally see it as being necessary. Just post it in the electronics section...for the same reasons as above. By sub-dividing the forum too much, you're really limiting the amount of people that are going to see your posts. I personally would never really look in a computer section...and probably wouldn't look in a Home Theater section much either. A lot of the people are are mainly 2 channel guys, but they'll also post in threads related to HT equipment. If all HT related questions were posted in a dedicated HT sub-forum though, many of the people that offer help on a regular basis wouldn't even see these HT based posts because they wouldn't be too likely to look in the HT section much.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that absolutely nothing about this message board needs to be changed. At all.

This is an audio forum. There are literally thousands of computer based forums on the internet...if you want to discuss computers, that would be the place to do it. You're likely to have a lot more response on the computer topic on a message board that's dedicated to computers.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Oh well, was just a thought. I'll mozey on back over to the car audio side now.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited May 2011
    Options
    fastz28 wrote: »
    this is polk audio its roots are 2 channal audio if no computer link there should not be a ht thread my audio from my computer is better than any $1000 cd and dac
    fastz28 wrote: »
    flac asio drivers prodigy hd 2 Burson Audio opamps sound card is compatible to a cd and dac costing 2 grand if not more

What's your point? Because you have computer gear worth more than $1K we should add a computer forum to the mix.................ummmmmmmm....no, post and read in the electronics section.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'd suggest Rosetta Stone in English.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited May 2011
    Options
    In the end, there can be only one...
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    What's your point? Because you have computer gear worth more than $1K we should add a computer forum to the mix.................ummmmmmmm....no, post and read in the electronics section.

H9

I have to give you props for being able to decipher what he posted, cause I'm STILL trying.

On topic though - being the computer-geek that I am, I would love a computer-specific forum...but I also understand the need to keep the forum as a whole from fracturing too much. The more forums you have, the less attention and traffic each gets until you end up with hardly anyone posting anything anywhere.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I have to give you props for being able to decipher what he posted, cause I'm STILL trying.

Insert random punctuation a few times and at some point it goes from indecipherable to barely readable.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I still wish the car audio side was still one forum. I can't tell you the last time I checked any of the sub forums.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Where's the amplifier section? The tube forum? Shouldn't we have a dedicated cables section?

It's true that computers have grown into a significant aspect of the audiophile world, but this is the POLK forum. As others have mentioned, there is a fine electronics section which fully encompass the topic.

Having said that, however, I think you should be commended for thinking creatively about ways to improve the forum. As digital sources are a prominent part of audio, it is certainly worth discussing whether to divide the electronics section into, say, "Analog Electronics" and "Digital Electronics."
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Everything is eventually analog or we couldn't hear it. :biggrin::wink:

H9
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Big Dawg wrote: »
    there is a fine electronics section which fully encompass the topic.

......and that pretty well wraps it up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • exalted512
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Harabe1907 wrote: »
    very successful,thank you...

reported
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Insert random punctuation a few times and at some point it goes from indecipherable to barely readable.

H9

The funniest thing I've read all day!:biggrin:
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2011
    Options
    linkmarem wrote: »
    good job. i want new post mate. ;)

also reported.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2011
    Options
    We need a computer section so we can attract more spammers. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »

I think it would be a positive thing if done the right way. The head of marketing (KAB) liked the idea. Now if you would like to submit constructive ideas on what to call it I am sure he would listen. Remember now, I said constructive. Cheers. :cool:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I want a hot dog forum.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And another cog snaps off the wheel.