What amp for Monitor 10?

Options
mrcircle
mrcircle Posts: 9
edited April 2011 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, though I've been a Polk owner and admirer for many years. This is my first post.

I spotted a vintage Sansui 7070 receiver (60wpc) on CL last week and when I went to look at it, discovered the seller was deep into vintage audio gear of all makes, particularly Polk. I ended up taking home the receiver, which was in excellent condition, and a pristine pair of Monitor 10s in the ubiquitous rosewood vinyl with original stands, all for $250.

After reading through many threads here, I now understand that these are the later models with sl2000 tweeters rather than the more desirable Peerless tweets, which is probably why the owner was willing to part with them (he claimed to own four other pairs of the 10s, as well as 5s, 7s, etc. -- a real hoarder!). I plan to do the xover recap and tweeter upgrade at some point in the future, but mostly just want to enjoy them for the time being.

My sense is that these speakers like a lot of clean power, and I'm wondering if the Sansui is really adequate for making them sing as they could. I've done some searching but haven't come up with anything other than a general fondness for Yamaha amps to match with the Monitor series. Any further suggestions regarding recommended amps and, in particular, how much power is suitable for the 10s?

Thanks so much,
Michael
Post edited by mrcircle on

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Reported ^^^

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Bikerduck
    Bikerduck Posts: 43
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My wife is using the Monitor 10's with her Kenwood KA 7100 and it sounds great. The 7100 also has 60W. I don't think you need anything bigger then that. I used to run the 10's with 125W and 220W, not much difference in sound. I think they sound nicer with the 60W Kenwood.
    MAIN:Kenwood M2a,C2,Sansui TU-517,Yamaha CDX-1100,Kenwood GE-1100,Nakamichi BX150,SDA 2a,Kenwood Ka-801,HPM-100
    DEN:Kenwood Basic M2,C2,T1,Yamaha CDX-1100,Parasound DHX 600,ADS 1090
    OFFICE:Kenwood Ka-8300,Technics SL-P770,Nakamichi BX150,Polk Monitor 7b
    BEDROOM:Kenwood Ka-7100,KT-6500,KX-1030,Teac Reference 500,Monitor 10b
    Yamaha CA 810,CT 810,Yamaha CDX-1060,Monitor M 5b
    Kenwood Basic M1a,C1,Yamaha CDX-930,KA-77,KT-313,KA-3500,KA-5700,Technics SU 8600,ST 8600
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2011
    Options
    That Sansui should do those speakers fine. Just don't go crazy with the volume control. If it starts sounding distorted back it off or you may damage them.

I love vintage receivers. I think they have more personality than most new ones. It doesn't hurt that they usually cost a lot less too.
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I use an NAD 2100PE amp ( 60 wpc ) and it sounds great to me... Although I've never really tried anything else with my Monitor 10's.

I guess its more about what you like in sound but good clean power is more important than watts with these speakers for sure.
  • mrcircle
    mrcircle Posts: 9
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. These are my first vintage Polks so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was a bit underwhelmed at first, mostly listening to vinyl on my also recently acquired Technics SL-7 turntable (linear tracking w/p-mount cart). When I switched over to CDs, wow! Alison Krauss never sounded so good! I'm realizing it's really the limits of the TT that are holding the system back, not the speakers. The 10s get pleasingly loud and clean with the Sansui, so 60wpc seems plenty. I guess the next step is to dust off my Linn Axis.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Vintage Yamaha electronics like vintage Polk Audio loudspeakers. That was the canonical choice when (mid/late 1970s) and where (Maryland) I got interested in this stuff.

My choice for Monitor 7s has been, since 1978, a CA-610II.

In your case, I'd suggest any of the following - CA-800, CA-1000, CA-1010, CA-2010 (or separates if you prefer).

P1030167.jpg

EDIT: I'd just like to echo the notion of a NAD amplifier or (even) receiver as a good-sounding choice for Monitor 10s.

The harman/kardon receivers and amps of the era were good with Polk, too.
    How about an A402? "Only" 45 wpc, but iit has completely dual power supplies like the hk430, hk630, and hk730 receivers.

hkA402.jpg
    whatmore.jpg

Luxman would be a good choice as well... but it would be sort of like commuting to work in a Ferrari.

Gordon Miller said "SAE". Hmmm.... not sure I'd pick SAE, but a GAS (Great American Sound Co.) Son of Ampzilla power amp in good working order would be a dandy choice.

GMmusicPolk10primosystem.jpg