2011 Lone Star Audio Fest - May 13-15 Dallas, TX

2»

Comments

• newsman
    newsman Posts: 197
    edited May 2011
    Has the Polk meet been moved to Saturday, or Saturday admission will be free? I'm planning to attend tomorrow. Boooya!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2011
    It's ALL FREE. Gen Pop will be visiting Saturday, a few might flow through tomorrow evening - I'm not going to kick them out - but tomorrow afternoon / evening is ALL Polkies, bring it.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2011
    Hey, send those pics to me at home Russ.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    I sent you the pics from my phone to the home email, no lighting, etc. Better stuff tomorrow through an actual dig camera.

I will be online tomorrow with the laptop / camera / webcam in room.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    I got 'em, thanks. The Polk carpet is super cool, hopefully you'll let me borrow it for CAA.

How are you setting up the Blackstone demo? The room looks great. You're testing the waters down there so you'll have to bring your overall thoughts after the event, up here for the next one. I believe that between the two of us we'll have it hook, line and sinker.

Any room treatments?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited May 2011
    its May 13 where i am already !! post pix !! describe what i'm missing !!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Mark, the rug belongs to Odie. Al probably has one up there - it's big and heavy, I wouldn't even know how to begin thinking about shipping it.

Room treatments, no, just common sense and ratios with whatever will fit in the truck in one trip. ;)

As far as Captial, that's all you man. I'll have a lot of people looking forward to meeting you at that one.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    People are still setting up, just bumped into Richard Gray. Polk room is open for Polkies, however the elevators are still secured so pm me for my phone so you can call or text when you arrive if they aren't unlocked by then.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2011
    Just shot you a pm. Made it back from Israel, and despite somehow having gotten roped into a conference call almost as soon as I got off the plane, want to head that way. I need to stay up the rest of the day anyway, so maybe I can get a normal night's sleep tonight.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Mark, the rug belongs to Odie. Al probably has one up there - it's big and heavy, I wouldn't even know how to begin thinking about shipping it.

Room treatments, no, just common sense and ratios with whatever will fit in the truck in one trip. ;)

As far as Captial, that's all you man. I'll have a lot of people looking forward to meeting you at that one.

How many attendees are doing CAA? or just coming up to visit?
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited May 2011
    I will be there after work today!
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • newsman
    edited May 2011
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2011
    I'll be out there tomorrow, plan on spending the better part of the day out there.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited May 2011
    Those new top tier Polks are a work of art. Good sounding and good looking!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2011
    PICS! maybe?
  • newsman
    edited May 2011
    Just for Polkies!
    Head over to Speakers forum for pictures from tonight!

Enjoy!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Will someone bring Nirvana Nevermind or Greatest Hits. I need to hear In Bloom.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited May 2011
    newsman wrote: »
    Pictures of other rooms I attended at the show.
    The speakers in the cellos are certainly interesting to look at. However, I can't see how they would be optimal in any way for use as speakers. The bodies of those instruments are designed and optimized to resonate and amplify a certain range of frequencies. Even if the speaker was in it's own enclosure in the cello bodies, it wouldn't completely eliminate those undesirable characteristics. I haven't heard them, but I really can't see how they would sound good.

Did you have a chance to listen to those cello speakers?
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2011
    how did those Quads sound?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Beef, that's part of what makes this show cool, there is the entire realm of audio, one end to another. They weren't unlistenable, but I 'got it' as far as what he was trying to accomplish.

There is everything from the esoteric, digital, diy, mainstream high end, $500 tube amps to $8000 tube amps, solid state, something for everyone! I love seeing and hearing other peoples likes in the audio world, it's really interesting and provides great perspective.
  • BeefJerky
    edited May 2011
    Beef, that's part of what makes this show cool, there is the entire realm of audio, one end to another. They weren't unlistenable, but I 'got it' as far as what he was trying to accomplish.

There is everything from the esoteric, digital, diy, mainstream high end, $500 tube amps to $8000 tube amps, solid state, something for everyone! I love seeing and hearing other peoples likes in the audio world, it's really interesting and provides great perspective.
    I can see where he is coming from as well. It is clear that he was going more for aesthetics, which would certainly appeal to some people. It may not be for me, but that doesn't mean I look down upon it or anything. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression with my last post.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    No not at all. To most, that would appear to be pure lunacy. The great thing about the fest, is you actually get to hear it, and draw your own conclusions. I'll admit, when I saw him setting up, I said just three words to myself 'What the .....?'
  • BeefJerky
    edited May 2011
    No not at all. To most, that would appear to be pure lunacy. The great thing about the fest, is you actually get to hear it, and draw your own conclusions. I'll admit, when I saw him setting up, I said just three words to myself 'What the .....?'
    Sounds like just what went through my head when I saw the pictures.

You said "They weren't unlistenable." Could you go into a little more detail on how they sounded? I'm just very curious about them, but was unable to be there.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    I'm not a fan of Fostex and Lowther drivers to begin with. They sounded better than I expected actually. It wasn't my cup of tea, but again, I could hear the sound he was going for, and I get that. It had a very live and real sound, and the resonances of the Cello added a nice touch to acoustical selections. I wouldn't play AC/DC on them, but within a certain musical range, they were ok.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2011
    here's a nice review/opinion of the Polk Audio Room from the vinyl Anar.

http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • billyjeff2
    billyjeff2 Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    will signal path be participating?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    WTF are you talking about BJ?