2011 Lone Star Audio Fest - May 13-15 Dallas, TX

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
www.lonestaraudiofest.com
May 13 – 14, 2011

Be sure to make plans to come by for a woodstock type audio show - not too big where you can't actually get a decent demo, but big enough to actually see and hear some worthwhile gear. Everything from DIY, full range, to high end. Solid state, tubes, vinyl, tape, cd and digital. Something for everyone and every budget. A great bonus to a grass roots meet like this is the people, moreso than the gear. Rub elbows with real audio nerds, and make friends along the way.

The Polk room will feature the new LSiM707 (yes, the big boy) powered by Jaton Corporation’s new high end cd player and preamplifier, and a pair of their new modular amplifiers vertically biamping at 280w per side. Also featured will be the Blackstone TL2 and TL3 series with DSW PRO 440 wireless subwoofer, and a Micropro 1000 will be on hand also. The Blackstone rig will be driven from a Virtue Audio integrated and cd player who is also exhibiting at the show (courtesy forum member Marvda1). All cabling is coming straight from Cardas, who went above and beyond to custom make cables, at the HQ in Bandon, Oregon just for the Polk room.

Mark your calendar and plan to be there. There will be a give away or two or three, and refreshments in the Polk room. Bring a stack of cd’s and come join us for a fun filled Saturday for FREE. The Polk room will be open Friday around noon for Polk Forum members and exhibitors if you truly want a first peek before the general public shows up.

An (open to forum members only) open house will be held the weekend after at my abode (I'll make a separate post). This will be an extended, weekend long, come and go as you please - your chance to get even more comfortable and spend however much time you want with the new LSiM. My listening room is open for you. I’ll post a separate thread with details in the next few days.

Thanks again for everyone that supports Polk Audio, and thanks to Polk Audio for supporting a meet like this – I and others agree it makes a real statement as to what Polk is about, and that they still remain grounded in the music, even after all these years. I look forward to seeing you at the show.

Thanks!
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2011
    See you there
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2011
    I'll be flying into Dallas on May 4th and leaving on the 9th. Wish I could stay longer to hear the new Polk speakers. Hopefully I be down there for good within a couple months.
  • newsman
    newsman Posts: 197
    edited April 2011
    Russ
    Any updates, specifically on the afterhours demo?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2011
    The Polkaudio room is in full effect, and will be open to Polkies exclusively on Friday between 3 and 8 pm. The earlier you show, you might be asked to help with setup and tweaking, which this bunch shouldn't mind at all. Generic refreshments and eats will be on hand, and please make it a point to show up on Saturday also. The event has been moved from downtown, to 635 @ 75 to make it more accessable for the north Dallas crowd.

Full on Polk LSiM, including lots of hands on static displays of other lines. I *might* even give away a Blackstone system on Saturday to an enthusiastic Polkie. Yeah, you heard that right, a SYSTEM.

Come check out the new Polk LSiM and Blackstone, along with the new Jaton modular amp system (previewed at Jim's Texas Polkfest this month), along with all you need to know about Cardas and properly cabling a rig like this.

Cheers,
    Russ

(ps, LSiM open house at my abode will follow the week after for Polkies + friends and family, stayed tuned)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2011
    Cool. I'm out of town for the next two weeks, but get back around 1 Friday afternoon. And since I live just a couple of miles from 635 and 75, it's a pretty sure bet that I'll be by, jetlag and all.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2011
    That's why you check out at noon on Friday. Punk.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2011
    Great my boxers well the wife will be home and I have a bright green light on the trip...see ya there
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2011
    I'll be there, I'll try to get there early and help you set up, but will be there for sure at some point
  • newsman
    edited May 2011
    Can't wait to hear them. As much as I want to make it on Friday for the exclusive event, I'll have to wait till Saturday most likely. Would've wanted to help set everything up... When are you guys will start putting everything together? I might swing by for lunch time on Friday.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2011
    This is whats up coming in early Friday morning, making my way over to Usher for Demo, then I am booked at the Embassy, Russman would love to give you guys a hand. Looking forward to seeing the show.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited May 2011
    tell stan at usher marvin said hello, still got my usher 6381's and r1.5 amp.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited May 2011
    Russ,

Would you by chance still have the LSIM's late June? That is when I will be back in the States. Man, this sucks that I leave that very Saturday!

Halen
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Halen, I'll make sure you get a demo, no worries. Everything is buttoned up and in order fellas, the gear, the cables, speakers, all accounted for and ready to go. Again, I appreciate your support of Polk and a grass roots meet like this one. It may not be a HUGE show, but the positive side is what is there is GREAT, and you can actually spend time and get quality demos.

We're actually getting the room on Thursday, so everything should be setup and ready to go for Polkies to come in anytime on Friday after noon.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • marvda1
    edited May 2011
    trying to get friday off. txcoastal1, what time are you going to usher? are you going to stan's house or the business address?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2011
    marvda1 wrote: »
    trying to get friday off. txcoastal1, what time are you going to usher? are you going to stan's house or the business address?

Some time around 10:00-10:30 leaving my house around 6am and will be going to the business address
    You want to meet there?

• marvda1
    edited May 2011
    it would be close as russ wants me to bring my amp and cdp to the hotel by noon.
    Puritan PSM156
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Marvin I can hook up with you whenever. If I have to drive no problem.
    Cheers
    Russ
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2011
    Good luck with the event.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Mark, it will get pulled off properly. Grassroots with a dash of hardcore.

Everyone else, local and almost local, make sure to come out, don't waffle or flip flop on this one, just do it. Trust me. Get out and see some new things, meet some great people and show your support for all things Polk.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • scottfox
    scottfox Posts: 37
    edited May 2011
    Russ,
    I should be back in town Monday night. Too busy this weekend to help or show up unfortunately. Pick up daughter at UT Austin on Saturday. Pick up son up at Austin college on Sunday. Isn't it great having freshmen twins in college at 2 different schools :eek: Anyway... I can be available to help with setups, transporting gear if needed on Thursday/Friday afternoon. Let me know if U need some help.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Just a couple more days, make sure you take the time to come out and show your support for all thinks Polk, and for grass roots audio in general. YOU will 'make' the show, we can only set it up!

Cheers,
    Russ
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2011
    If you're local and don't attend....you should stop posting here.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • newsman
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys, I'm counting the days till the show. Really excited. The family is conspiring against this at every step of the way though! :eek: My brother's B-day is on Friday, g/f brother graduation on Sat, and B-day party on Sunday!! From the looks of it, I will be able to make it on Friday after work! Should I bring my favorite CD's to listen to LSiM? Being first day of the show not sure if there will be enough down time for that. Russ, are you going to be in the Polk room. Would be finally meeting you in person after seeing you on Polk forums in the same threads close to a decade now :)

p.s.
    Oh one more thing. I'm surprised how low key this show is among local HI FI shops. One dealer knew the date, but said it was no point in setting up a room there as it appeals to DIY crowd only (the shop is heavily into music setups :eek:). Another dealer, said there was no point going as they only go to shows where they negotiate perspective lines (also heavy into music setup). And finally guys at Modia where totally oblivious to the show. Talk about shooting industry in the foot.

Russ, is the Polk demo officially blessed by Polk, or are you just bring in speakers that you bought yourself?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Local hi fi shops don't need to show up, they already have a client base here. They are already established in this area. Yes, bring some cd's, and you can tell me if the room is blessed by Polk or not.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • newsman
    edited May 2011
    As far as dealer presence, I think more choices are always better for community and lets more people be introduced to hi fi.
    As far as Polk comment, I meant whether Polk invested anything into the room, or whether it's purely local effort.

Anyway, see you there!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    The room is official Polk Audio, they are footing the bill and provided the speakers.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited May 2011
    newsman wrote: »
    Really excited. The family is conspiring against this at every step of the way though!

Same here. If I don't get there Saturday morning it's not going to happen for me.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2011
    It's a great time to be in Texas.
  • marvda1
    edited May 2011
    off work friday and can't wait. russ, i hope you have a few texas sodas on ice. dskip, hide the bottle.:smile:
    Puritan PSM156
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    I'll have beverages for my forum brothers, no worries. I'll expense it to Al. ;)

The Polk room is 230. LSiM707 is setup and ready to go. Honestly, I don't even want to hook the Blackstones up, but I will. Maybe.