My dad is getting Direct TV, how is it?

Options
neokeelo
neokeelo Posts: 168
edited March 2011 in The Clubhouse
My dad is switching from Charter cable and there $160 a month bill to Direct TV to save money.

He has in the living room a 50inch 720P plasma and above that a 1080P projector on a 108inch drop down screen. He is asking me what package to get and what kind of DVR box it should come with but I am in a different state and unable to help him. He mentioned a $40 a month package with DVR included.

Anyone here use Direct TV? What is the best package? How are there HD signals? Is there content available in 1080P?
My System
Pre/Pro - Integra DTR 40.2
Amplifier -Parasound 2205a
Paradigm Studio 60s V5 Mains
Paradigm Studio 590 V5 Center
Paradigm 20s - rear ( Wanted)
SUB - SVS PB12-NSD
LG PK250 60inch Plasma
Post edited by neokeelo on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Switched to DirecTV last summer and its fantastic. The deals they have been offering in this down economy made it an easy decision for me. I have their 2nd to top tier package and love it. Choosing a package depends on what you want, so only he has the answer.

The picture looks great (I have several 1080p TVs and a 1080p Projector on a 120" screen), but I believe the only 1080p content is the PPV movies, which I don't buy. I live in an area with lots of snow and rain storms and have not had a single outage problem with the dish, which was something I was concerned about.
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DirecTV is d@mn expensive, but, to me, worths it. I've been a Premier customer since 2004, and they've kept adding very good stuff to the service.
    * Their latest generation receiver (model H24) / DVR (model HR24) surely supports 1080p content.
    * They even have 3D channels.
    * NFL Sunday Tickets is exclusively theirs.
    * A lot, and I mean a lot of HD channels (one missing that I'm still pissed at is the AMC HD, which made me have to watch my favorite The Walking Dead in standard resolution :mad::biggrin:). Demiurge was wrong about the 1080p content, almost all of their HD channels carries 1080p content. The only thing is their best audio output is Dolby Digital, no lossless DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD at all.

Once again, I have to say it's d@mn expensive, $40/month won't cut it.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Oh, if he gets a referral from someone who already has DirecTV he can get a $100 credit as can the referrer. So, see if he has friends, family, or neighbors who have it before he signs up.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DMara wrote: »
    DirecTV is d@mn expensive, but, to me, worths it. I've been a Premier customer since 2004, and they've kept adding very good stuff to the service.
    * Their latest generation receiver (model H24) / DVR (model HR24) surely supports 1080p content.
    * They even have 3D channels.
    * NFL Sunday Tickets is exclusively theirs.
    * A lot, and I mean a lot of HD channels (one missing that I'm still pissed at is the AMC HD, which made me have to watch my favorite The Walking Dead in standard resolution :mad::biggrin:).

Once again, I have to say it's d@mn expensive, $40/month won't cut it.

If you're comparing it to not having cable at all it's expensive...

I pay $60 a month right now. When the promo runs out this summer I'll be up to $90 a month. That's about $40 a month cheaper than the cable equivalent in my area.

Given what people spend on their cell phone packages that most don't utilize, I'd say it's relatively inexpensive.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Premium Customer since 2000. I am satisfied but feel they are pricey but if you complain or hit customer retention they will help out on discounts and freebees
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Demiurge was wrong about the 1080p content, almost all of their HD channels carries 1080p content. The only thing is their best audio output is Dolby Digital, no lossless DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD at all.

Unless you have some info I don't have, I don't think I am.
    How do I find 1080p programming on DIRECTV?

In the onscreen program guide, you'll see a "1080pHD" logo next to titles available in 1080p. We currently offer the newest DIRECTV CINEMA? titles in 1080p HD, as well as some older titles. We're always expanding our 1080p library. View our DIRECTV CINEMA? library.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2441/~/how-do-i-find-1080p-programming-on-directv%3F

None of the channels I watch say 1080pHD when I tune in, and I have the box set up to display in 1080p when available.
  • neokeelo
    neokeelo Posts: 168
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick replies. I will go home next month and check out some of the HD stations on the projector :)
    My System
    Pre/Pro - Integra DTR 40.2
    Amplifier -Parasound 2205a
    Paradigm Studio 60s V5 Mains
    Paradigm Studio 590 V5 Center
    Paradigm 20s - rear ( Wanted)
    SUB - SVS PB12-NSD
    LG PK250 60inch Plasma
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I've had Direct TV for about 6 years. I like it but it is kinda pricey. Their HD channels are really good.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Unless you have some info I don't have, I don't think I am.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2441/~/how-do-i-find-1080p-programming-on-directv%3F

None of the channels I watch say 1080pHD when I tune in, and I have the box set up to display in 1080p when available.

So, you're saying that channels with the "HD" after the title in the program guide are not 1080?
    None of mine say 1080pHD but many have the HD.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    So, you're saying that channels with the "HD" after the title in the program guide are not 1080?
    None of mine say 1080pHD but many have the HD.

In my DirecTV Guide on my screen, the stuff that's in full 1080pHD says exactly that in the title (movies only, from what I've seen). The stuff that's in a lower quality HD just says 'HD'.

I'm not preaching gospel here, it's just my understanding. My info came from the tech who was installing the dish in my home last summer and from DirecTV's website. He could have been wrong.

I have been under the impression that most cable and satellite is not in full 1080p HD.
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I am surprised to hear you say that they don't have any 1080 channels. I thought that was their big selling point... comcast even has most their basic channels (tbs, news, abc, blah blah) in 1080.... to be honest, I am real sick of these companies acting like HD is something special. Samsung is already testing out 4k displays and we still have companies refusing to provide 1080.... 1080 tv's are like $300... this resolution should be the standard for all channels
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2011
    Options
    1080i != 1080p. I do not believe that Comcast has ANYTHING in 1080p.

And don't get all high and mighty about it. 1080p takes a S**TLOAD of bandwidth up. Not something cable companies exactly have a surplus of at the moment.

EDIT : Reference from Comcast's own help forums, from about 5 months ago : http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Service-and-Equipment/does-comcast-broadcast-in-1080p/td-p/827355
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    1080i != 1080p. I do not believe that Comcast has ANYTHING in 1080p.

And don't get all high and mighty about it. 1080p takes a S**TLOAD of bandwidth up. Not something cable companies exactly have a surplus of at the moment.

I don't think I have a single P in my statement. I am not suggesting anything about progressive vs interlaced... I am simply saying that the resolution, 1920x1080, should be STANDARD by now.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't think I have a single P in my statement. I am not suggesting anything about progressive vs interlaced... I am simply saying that the resolution, 1920x1080, should be STANDARD by now.

Every post above yours is about 1080p. So... sorry for inferring.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The other thing (just checking my guide now), is that the 1080p movies in PPV cost more than the standard definition movies.

I'm pretty sure I'm right that most HD channels are NOT 1080p.
  • DMara
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The other thing (just checking my guide now), is that the 1080p movies in PPV cost more than the standard definition movies.

I'm pretty sure I'm right that most HD channels are NOT 1080p.

I'm currently paying for the Premier package, and almost all HD channels, especially the 5xx movie channels, show 1080p content. I'm using the HR24 DVR model. Anytime I watch those channels, both my TV and the DVR show that it's 1080p.
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You're wrong. I'm currently paying for the Premier package, and almost all HD channels, especially the 5xx movie channels, show 1080p content. I'm using the HR24 DVR model.

You keep saying I'm wrong, but you're not providing any info. I've linked to DirecTV's website, where they only boast about having 1080p movies:
    How to Find 1080p Titles

To get access to the most 1080p titles, connect your receiver to the Internet. Learn how. Once you're connected, tune to channel 1100, where you'll see a list containing all of the DIRECTV on DEMAND movies available in 1080p. Take your pick and enjoy.

If your receiver is not connected to the Internet, you'll still be able to enjoy some movies in 1080p.To access the titles available to you, press the List button on your remote, then press the GREEN button to see Top Movies Now.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3720002

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1093169 (old thread, but supports what I'm saying)

Prove it and I'll shut up about it.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This conversation makes me want to start looking into switching from cable again. It'd be about $57/mo for yr 1, then $88/mo for yr 2 for direct.

I need to see how much my internet is going to go up if I switch my tv over (have cable internet, won't be switching that, but I get a discount for bundling)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • DMara
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You keep saying I'm wrong, but you're not providing any info. I've linked to DirecTV's website, where they only boast about having 1080p movies:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3720002

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1093169 (old thread, but supports what I'm saying)

Prove it and I'll shut up about it.

Your link is pretty old. If you notice, you'll see it stated: "You must have either the HR20, HR21 or HR22 model." Well, my current DVR model is HR24, and the HR24 does let me know if the showing content was 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or standard HD. Not only that, my Samsung TV also pops up at the top left corner letting me know the output resolution whenever I change to a channel. I don't know what else to tell you as proof, I may need to bring out my video camera to record a session of what I've told you :biggrin:
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Your link is pretty old. If you notice, you'll see it stated: "You must have either the HR20, HR21 or HR22 model." Well, my current DVR model is HR24, and the HR24 does let me know if the showing content was 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or standard HD. Not only that, my Samsung TV also pops up at the top left corner letting me know the output resolution whenever I change to a channel. I don't know what else to tell you as proof, I may need to bring out my video camera to record a session of what I've told you :biggrin:

The link to DirecTV is not old. The link to AVS Forum is, as I noted.

I have two brand new HD DVRs from last summer. Perhaps new ones have come out.

What other info...how about a link to DirecTV talking about broadcasting...say ESPN, Discovery, Travel Channel, Food Network or the like in 1080p not just 'HD'? All you're giving are personal anecdotes, nothing that states that DirecTV broadcasts in 1080p other than with some of their PPV movies.

I don't really care if they do or they don't, because I'm still locked in for 2 years and was under the impression I was getting lower quality HD content at best unless I paid for the PPV 1080p movies. I'm just challenging your statement of certainty when everything I have been told by DirecTV employees, read on their website, and have experienced says otherwise.

Here's another link from an AVS Forum moderator from this past July:
    None of the linear HD channels broadcast in 1080p; they are all either 720p or 1080i. See this topic for more info on HD channels and resolutions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671

At this time 1080p is limited to Blu-ray, select PPV movies from DirecTV and Dish Network, select gaming titles on PS3 & Xbox 360, and most recently online streaming video sources.

Due to technical limitations, don't expect to see 1080p broadcasts for quite some time, if ever. It's entirely possible some version of the next generation of video, Ultra HDTV aka Super Hi-Vision, will be available before 1080p. UHDTV has ~16 times the pixels of existing HDTV

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1265392
  • DMara
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Demiurge, I've just hung up the phone with a DirecTV technical support personnel, Anthony Mallory, to confirm about the 1080p resolution output question. Well, his answer in fact will make us both satisfy: currently DirecTV broacast 1080p contents via the On Demand HD channels, which are those channels you can get if you connect your DVR to the internet.

So you are right that the regular channels do not carry 1080p signal, and I am also right that I got all 1080p due to the fact that I mostly record/watch movies/shows via the On Demand HD channels :smile:

If your DVR is a HR23 or HR24 model, you might want to check those On Demand HD channels out to verify as proof. They include all kinds of contents, including any movie/show that you missed from the regular channels; PPV is just a small percentage.
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I wonder how many mbps the 1080p broadcasts are... are they outputting master audio (like dts ma)? are they broadcasting BR quality 1080, or worse... better? If worse, what compression do they use?
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That's because the channels don't broadcast in 1080p, which is what I've been trying to say. The only thing you're getting in 1080p from DirecTV are movies, and apparently your on-demand stuff too.

So, for anyone watching live TV or stuff that's been DVR'd (most of us), you're not getting 1080p content.

It's as I thought it was. Thanks for calling them.
  • DMara
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I wonder how many mbps the 1080p broadcasts are... are they outputting master audio (like dts ma)? are they broadcasting BR quality 1080, or worse... better? If worse, what compression do they use?

No lossless audio, that's 100% sure. Dolby Digital is the max.
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options

It's not DirecTV's fault that the content isn't in 1080p. None of the services offer 1080p content outside of what they have control over, such as movies and apparently on-demand content. The fault lies with ESPN, Food Network, Discovery Channel, CNN, Fox News, Travel Channel, etc.

They don't broadcast in 1080p. They broadcast in 720p or 1080i, for the most part. As the one guy stated, you'll likely never see 1080p broadcasts. We're likelier to see some other format before then.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's not DirecTV's fault that the content isn't in 1080p. None of the services offer 1080p content outside of what they have control over, such as movies and apparently on-demand content. The fault lies with ESPN, Food Network, Discovery Channel, CNN, Fox News, Travel Channel, etc.

They don't broadcast in 1080p. They broadcast in 720p or 1080i, for the most part. As the one guy stated, you'll likely never see 1080p broadcasts. We're likelier to see some other format before then.

errr, I meant the movies.. the ondemand stuff you all were talking about... I think we all got it, quite clearly, that they don't broadcast regular stations in 1080p

for example, if they broadcast Star wars on ondemand... what are we seeing? 1080p... ok... probably dd 5.1...but what kind of video quality /compression are we seeing...
  • bklynNupe
    bklynNupe Posts: 728
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Directv is fantastic!
    I'm stuck with cable because of my silly coop board.
    Tivo takes what you got to a whole different level.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bklynNupe wrote: »
    Directv is fantastic!
    I'm stuck with cable because of my silly coop board.
    Tivo takes what you got to a whole different level.

How much does tivo cost?

an HTPC was a cheaper option before everyone started encrypting everything and requiring set top boxes. Now you have to get a cable card tuner, and the only decent one out there is $500
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If your tv or projector does not feature 24 fps, you cant watch in 1080p, but you can downgrade the signal to be able to watch it, otherwise we love it.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • bklynNupe
    bklynNupe Posts: 728
    edited March 2011
    Options
    How much does tivo cost?

an HTPC was a cheaper option before everyone started encrypting everything and requiring set top boxes. Now you have to get a cable card tuner, and the only decent one out there is $500

I have a two year lease for 21 bucks a month and I keep the box and can possibly trade it up.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player