The WDYDT Fitness, Exercise, Diet Thread

Options
fatchowmein
fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
edited April 2013 in The Clubhouse
Welcome to, "The What Did You Do Today Fitness, Exercise, Diet Thread." This was inspired by a thread from Mantis. The goal is to have a place for everyone to report what they did for the day. It is not specific towards weight training, Insanity, swimming, prepping for the Boston Marathon, or just trying to reduce your daily calories. Open to all and all are welcomed.

Think of this as group support.

And I do hope it stays positive, I hope it will be encouraging, and I hope you all achieve your fitness goals. What I hope it does not do is spiral into a flamewar over the various tools, research, and theories that do exist.

Good luck!
Post edited by fatchowmein on

Comments

• fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I did nothing today. What a way to start, right? :biggrin:

More specifically, I rested. Got a stomach virus from the wife, she's worse, but you do not want the details. I think I'm over it since this morning but I'm just taking it easy and even got in a power nap.

Yesterday, I was on the elliptical for 2 hours while watching, "7 Pounds". That's two depressing movies in a row. I have "Hereafter" ready for viewing but I'm hoping it's not 3 depressing movies in a row.

Thinking about running tomorrow, Sunday. My road bike (24 speed) needs to go in for maintenance. I usually rest on Sunday but I'm itching to start a running program but it's been 5-6 years. Gonna hurt. Sucks.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why didn't you ask yesterday :rolleyes: Last night I did a set of 40 pushups followed by 5 3/4 miles on the treadmill...1/2 mile 10 min warm-up, 4 miles in 51:34 min, 1 mile at 15 min and a 1/4 mile cool-down.
    Today we had company coming so all I had time for was 1 stinking mile.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2011
    Options
    12oz. curls
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Same t hing I do every night Pinky. Try and take over the world.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2011
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    12oz. curls

That was last night, and currently in progress. Today, I slept until 11, and then worked from home until 5:30. Pressing keys on the keyboard is the most strenuous thing done today. Next week will be another story, as I will be hitting the gym everyday at lunch.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited March 2011
    Options
    On Friday I did one hour of cross training and on Saturday night I played ice hockey for 1.5 hours. The hockey may not seem like much, but consider that I haven't put on a pair of skates in 30 years. Yep...I think I'm gonna feel it on Sunday.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    40 min on elliptical this morning. Went to Dick's and bought a new pair of New Balance 870's and took it for a spin from 5 to 5:40pm. Mostly jogged but walked some. Overcast and a nice breeze. Loved it. Lower body a bit sore.
  • silvertuner
    silvertuner Posts: 496
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i apparently forgot to limber up yesterday, i woke up and was on the verge of going to the ER due to severe back pain. literally couldnt get out of bed and my 3 year old was getting very upset. must have been loading up a 300lb 4 wheeler by myself without ramps. tomorrow starts a new cycle in my diet. starting out with a 1 mile jog, 4 meals a day (healthy of course), and a pot of black coffee before i go for the jog. the evening will consist of extensive billiards action with my freshly redone mcdermott. thats my upper body work out lol. i have the muscle, just gotta lose the fat. my arms are already huge, chest if bulked, i just need the cardio. 1 mile will hopefully turn into 4 by the end of april. did i mention im 210lbs, five foot 8 inches, and a heavy smoker? this could get interesting. i was 243 when my 3 year old was born, 210 now, and looking for 180 by mid summer. was 160 and buff as hell when i graduated high school, then discovered wild turkey and long island ice teas. i cant keep up with my 3 year old, and its time i wore him out, instead of the other way around. of course the usual sit-ups, push-ups, and pull-ups. usually 3 sets of 40 for push ups and sit ups, and 3 sets of 10 on the pull-ups. i wont be happy until i can do 3 sets of 100 comfortably, and 3 sets of 30 on the pull ups. should be a fun next few weeks, especially with an already strained back.

some cheap free sony speakers
    psw125
    denon 1610
    3.1 channel because i hate cables ran across the living room like that
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2011
    Options
    30 min on the elliptical
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You picked the absolute worst time to create this thread!! Friday was my birthday (though I was able to go bike riding for a bit since it was so warm, great bday gift!), so that was heavy drinking night. Sat I was too hungover to do anything and worked sat night. Then sunday was bday celebration with family which means "Tom drinks his **** off to make day go qucker" day:wink:.

Today is a start of a new day though, after work, upper back, light training on lower back, then on the treadmill for at LEAST 30 minutes. Beer will be holding me down though, wish me luck.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Very nice! I wish I could do the elliptical. I own one. A very nice Shwinn but I hit my head on my ceiling when I do it :(

I want to get that street strider. They say you can burn 1000 calories per hour. Damn that would be hot. I could loose that last 50lbs np with a device like that.

Today I did all sorts of arm exercises on my bowflex. My problem is I don't know what to do exercise wise on the bowflex but today I found the instructional DVD that came with it and now I can watch the lessions and do the exercises correctly. Awesome!!!

Walking up the stairs just now my buttocks are burning!!! I guess i had a good leg workout yesterday!!! :)

Sal

Sal, I have no idea how you can hit your head on the ceiling using an elliptical but can you move it? For me, more exercise equipment means more variety so get the street rider if you're going to use it. Just keep in mind that to burn 1,000 calories an hour, you're going to have to really push yourself hard. I can hit 1200 calories an hour (so says my Polar watch) on my bike but I'm sprinting like a mad man and sucking air like a fish out of water.

If you're trying to lose 50 lbs, I wouldn't worry about arm exercises if I were you. Focus on strength exercises that utilize large muscle groups to get the most bang for your time and effort.

Keep going!
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i have the muscle, just gotta lose the fat. my arms are already huge, chest if bulked, i just need the cardio.

Check out the Nova special from the link below. They took 12 sedentary people and prepped them for the Boston marathon on a 40 week training program. VO2 max for some of them were poor at the begging but improved greatly at the end of the program. However, body composition for those who were overweight did not change due to diet and these folks ran/jogged 26 miles! Just keep that in mind and watch your caloric intake.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63726/nova-marathon-challenge

Good luck!
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Check out the Nova special from the link below. They took 12 sedentary people and prepped them for the Boston marathon on a 40 week training program. VO2 max for some of them were poor at the begging but improved greatly at the end of the program. However, body composition for those who were overweight did not change due to diet and these folks ran/jogged 26 miles! Just keep that in mind and watch your caloric intake.

Good luck!

I mentioned this phenomenon before -- that diet matters more than exercise when it comes to weight loss -- (without the link, admittedly) and got absolutely destroyed by everyone telling me I was an idiot.
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Today is a start of a new day though, after work, upper back, light training on lower back, then on the treadmill for at LEAST 30 minutes. Beer will be holding me down though, wish me luck.

That's what I want to see and share! We don't live in a vacuum. We're not sports and fitness gurus nor millionaire movie stars with dieticians and exercise instructors. We're average folks having to deal with birthday parties and drinking buddies.

Good luck!
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I mentioned this phenomenon before -- that diet matters more than exercise when it comes to weight loss -- (without the link, admittedly) and got absolutely destroyed by everyone telling me I was an idiot.

I was 130 lbs in 7th grade all the way up to age 30. I could eat a whole buffet table and not show it. At 35, it caught up to me at 167. Yesterday, I was 148 not that I care that much about the scale because I am your typical skinny fat and the mirror shows it. I'm working on the nutrition part (hate to say "diet") but that last 10 lbs is clinging on for dear life.

That "phenomenon" sucks. :mad:
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Agreed. I'm 30 and I've been hovering between 195 and 200 pounds for a few years now, and at my last physical they took blood and my numbers are all... not great (cholesterol, triglycerides, etc). Not BAD, but not good either. That was enough to get me to really buckle down on my food intake and exercise. In the last month and a half of just counting my calories and trying to get at least 20 mins of exercise in every day (plopped the exercise bike in front of the TV) I"m already down 7 pounds and a belt notch.

Can't recommend the iPhone app "Lose It!" enough. It's a little tedious entering in ALL of your food, but it's still a great way to keep track of EVERYTHING.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I txt'ed my coach to let him know him that the cardio guy cleared me to get back on the bike after the second leg surgery to clear up my compartment syndrome.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • silvertuner
    silvertuner Posts: 496
    edited March 2011
    Options

Good luck!

very interesting, i will have to watch it when i can sit down and just watch.

some cheap free sony speakers
    psw125
    denon 1610
    3.1 channel because i hate cables ran across the living room like that
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Cut 2+ cords oak firewood....don't sound like a lot to some but at my age cutting, carrying to truck..hopping into truck to stack logs(full size F250 with side rails) and then unloading truck, well that's a lot of work. Last night was 3 advil and tequila chaser...feelin' my age today too! On days I don't cut firewood I usually spend about 30 minutes on the Total Gym and then take my puppies for a long walk.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • dorourke07
    dorourke07 Posts: 298
    edited March 2011
    Options
    30 minutes running on the treadmill and a few arm machines at the gym. Need to eat better.

I have had success with the iphone app "lose it!". Once I built up my personal foods, it was easier to get meals in and there are a lot of resturants on it. I'll search the resturant menus to see what it is the best way to maximize my carolies when I am out.
    Mains - LSi9's
    Center - LSiC
    Surround - pair of TL3's
    Amplification - Parasound 2125
    AVR - Onkyo 706
    CD/SACD - Onkyo DV-SP506
    SUB - MartinLogan Abyss
    55" Panasonic Viera TC-P55GT30 3D
    Bluray - DMP-BDT310 Panasonic
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2011
    Options
    On Friday, I filled a 30 gallon trash can with wild onion plugs from my lawn.

On Saturday, I filled 4 more after I did 100 push ups, 50 pull ups and 100 sit ups

On Sunday I filled 2 more cans after I did 100/50/100 again, grabbed 20 bags of dirt from Home Depot along with two 40 pound bags of fertilizer for my parents and then helped the GF with moving boxes to her new digs for a few hours.

Today, I'm kinda sore and glad I have to sit at my desk all day.

Tomorrow, surgery so an early night for me.

If you want to lose weight, diet is very important but so is sleep. So make sure you're well rested 'cause that not only gives your body time to properly metabolize all the stuff you cram down your gullet but it also gives it time to recover from exercise regimens.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited March 2011
    Options
    For Lent I gave up going back for seconds, and no I don't double up on firsts. Quite difficult for me on pasta night.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    40 min elliptical in the AM.
    P90x chest, shoulders, and tricepts and ab ripper x in the pm.
    Now, where did I put that dextrose IV line?
  • joeparaski
    edited March 2011
    Options
    45 minutes of cross-fit training this evening.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Decline Bench
    185 x 8
    225 x 7
    225 x 6
    235 x 5
    240 x 5

Dumbbell Bench
    75 x 9
    80 x 7
    85 x 6
    85 x 6

machine chest fly
    110 x 10
    120 x 8 x 3

Abs... 3 compound sets till failure... leg raise and dunno what you call it... cable-machine-rope-crunches???
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    40 min jogged/walked in am.
    30 min getting reacquainted with my 15+ (?) y.o. hard boot Rollerblades (replaced with ABEC 5, 72mm 78A wheels) in pm. Too scared to try on my fast soft boot version.
    Road bike sent to bike shop for maintenance.
    Replaced battery on Polar F6. Chest strap still working.

Tried out Neti Pot for allergies (explains why I'm still up and not following Jstas's rest advice). Nope, didn't help. Claritin D it is. Will try Neti Pot for a week else it's doctor visit and shots or Beconase AQ (always works well). I tried the Neti spray bottle but didn't like it.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Tues,
    30 min on the weights...4 sets dumbbell bench press, 3 sets barbell curl, 1 set dumbbell curl, 1 set lying tricep extension.
    93 min jogging/fast walking on treadmill.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • fatchowmein
    edited March 2011
    Options
    40 min elliptical in AM
    P90x Back & Biceps in PM
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2011
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    93 min jogging/fast walking on treadmill.

93 minutes on a treadmill? You have more patience than me. 30 minutes is my limit.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joeparaski
    edited March 2011
    Options
    45 minutes cross-training.

Joe