RTi150

Options
bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I have been intrigued by these since they came out. CC now has them priced at $1070 (tax is already included in that price).

Worth it?
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    That's a great price. Why don't you give them a listen first to make sure it's worth it to you.

The newer RTi replacing the 150 will probably sound much better because of the two mid range drivers. But you're getting a great deal there. There's a few RTi150 owners in here, let's wait for them to chime in.

Maurice
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I did TRY to listen to them today at a local CC, but we all know how crappy their "sound" rooms are. I figure that worse case scenerio, I could return them within 30 days. If I keep them, I would have a year to trade up to the new RTi12s whenever they come out (that is asuming the RTi12 will be a better speaker, and you have to believe they will). The only thing that concerns me is if they will stick out like a sore thumb in my system with a CS400i center, RT35i and RT25i surrounds as far as timber or voice matching.

BTW, if you use your CC card, it's also interest free for 12 months to boot!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I haven't considered upgrading my speaks in the 7 years that I've had them, but if those RTi12's sound as good as I'm hoping, then I'm gonna have a VERY hard time saying no.......(and if they look ok....the silver is the iffyish part)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    RTi150

Electrical
    Overall Frequency Response 20 Hz - 27kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 26Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
    Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
    Recommended Amplifier Power 50 - 500 w/channel
    Efficiency 91 dB
    Crossover
    (mid-high array) 2.1kHz 2nd order HP & LP
    Crossover
    (subwoofer) 85Hz between driver and subs, 1st order HP/2nd order LP
    Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5 -way binding posts

~~ Interesting that it's a relatively efficient speaker, yet is capable of handling so much power. I'll say it again, as have others, I bet that thing sounds killer with roughly 300 watts per side. If you haven't that type of power around, I'd really consider the 70's, which are also available at good prices now; you'd then augment your bass with a quality subwoofer.

(Take the pebble from my hand, grasshopper, but if you can't ... how can I show you the path where you lead the horse to water?)

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • brettw22
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    (Take the pebble from my hand, grasshopper, but if you can't ... how can I show you the path where you lead the horse to water?)
    That you Dan? ;)
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    That you Dan? ;)

~~ All day!

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    "Efficiency 91 dB

~~ Interesting that it's a relatively efficient speaker, yet is capable of handling so much power."

Compared to some Klipschs that come in at 102 or so db, that's not really all THAT efficient.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Compared to some Klipschs that come in at 102 or so db, that's not really all THAT efficient. [/B]

~~ Yes, Weedclipper, that is why I used 'relatively' in my passage. Could be wrong, but it seems to me that I see an awful lot of upper eighties these days. At any rate, my position remains.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options

I can just imagine the RTi150 passively bi-amped with an Adcom 5400 and 5500 for 325 total watts of power per channel.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Gotcha, bigsex. Knew you feelin' me.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2003
    Options
    L&C....I sense much wisdom in you. Wise man once say man with itchy butt have smelly finger.

bigsexy, I demoed the 150's at Polk HQ sometime back. Reminds me of the big Monitor or RTA speakers.....a throwback if you will. I liked them a lot.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think you definitely have to hit them with some decent power. Demoed a pair at Fry's a few weeks ago. It was a disgrace that all they had to drive them was a wimpy little 90 W/ch Yamaha...they sounded terrible.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I believe the RTi12's drop in October. There is a sku listed for them in the system at work. They are $699 each.
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    L&C, notice I edited my previous post. Sorry about that, I went too far.

Back to speaker topic, I do have some serious wattage I could throw at them if I do get them (the previously mentioned Adcoms). I just think they would be some great rock speakers with enough power, but without being piercing like Klipsch.

Fireshoes, where exactly are you talking about, CC?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i am the proud owner of rti150s and they certainly kick ****. im sunin them with my 105 wpc marantz and they sound great, the bass is excelent, even though its from such small drivers. with the f3 being 26hz they definetely have enough bass to shake a room (unless ur room is huge or something). my room is 12x15x8 and they fill it no problem.

you are right about the timbre matching, i also have a cs245i, and even tho that speaker has no balls at all, and its probably not a fair comparrison, im gonan compare it anyway.

there is a difference between the two, basically the tweeters. the newer rti tweeters sound much better then the older ones. you may not notice this at first, and with a cs400i you might not notice it at all but i notice the difference with the cs245i and the rti150s. i find myself watching movies in stereo now because i dont have surround channels that i like yet and i dont have a center with enough balls to keep up with the i150s.

i would get the rti150s if u have the funds, if ya dont like them, return them, if you do then grab a beer and listen until ur ears hurt. besides, if the rti12's are so so much better you can always upgrade when they come out, you have a year. i doubt you will be dissapointed with the i150s, especially with the watts you have to power them, i love them and i am powering them with a receiver.

i previously owned rti100s and the rti150s are worlds better, better midrange and much much stronger, deeper bass. its a hard speaker not to like.

someone said before you could go the rti70 route....i never owned rti70s so i cant offer any advice here. most people seem to get rti70s and then fill in the lower end with an SVS. that could work for you, since rti70s are about $500 now? and you can get an SVS with the difference.

either way, you arent going to be disappointed.
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks, but no thanks on the RTi70. I already have a pair of RT1000i, and I feel like the 70s would be a step backwards. At best, a side step lateral move that is pointless. I know that there are some on here who like the 70/800 better than the 1000/100, and I respect that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but if someone here trys telling me that it would be a significant upgrade over the 1000s, then they are off of their rocker!

However, I do think the 150s would be a worthwile upgrade over the 1000s.

Anybody want to buy a pair of black RT1000i in great shape purchased in May of '02 with all boxes, manuals, etc.?

I think I'm going to get them tonight! If not, then definitely tomorrow.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bigsexy1
    Thanks, but no thanks on the RTi70. I already have a pair of RT1000i, and I feel like the 70s would be a step backwards. At best, a side step lateral move that is pointless. I know that there are some on here who like the 70/800 better than the 1000/100, and I respect that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but if someone here trys telling me that it would be a significant upgrade over the 1000s, then they are off of their rocker!

The RTi70 is a 2-way speaker with two 6.5" mid-range drivers.

The RT1000i is essentially also a 2-way speaker with only one 6.5" mid-range driver - albeit high passed at 90 Hz to a really marginal powered subwoofer.

Due to its dual mid-range drivers, above 90 Hz the RTi70 walks away from the RT1000i in terms of midrange clarity and room filling ability.

Yes, the RT1000i has marginally better deep bass response than the RTi70. But the RT1000i can't do midrange as well as the RTi70, and it can't do lower bass as well as a good subwoofer. It's a compromise speaker and I would only (hesitantly) recommend it to someone has no intention of ever using a separate subwoofer.

If you have an outstanding subwoofer and you will be high passing all the speakers at 80 Hz, using a powered tower like the RT1000i is not only a waste of money, but it will also result in a noticeably inferior midrange as compared to the RTi70.

Regards,
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec, with all due respect, I believe that we've already had this discussion on another forum (if it wasn't with you, then I did with someone), and I don't care to get into it again. If you have 70s and are happy with them, then good for you, and that should be all that matters to you. Why do you even care about anything else? I hope you enjoy them. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else who likes the 70s, so please don't take it that way. I'm sure they are fine speakers. They are just not for me, not at this time.

I'll say it one more time, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I respect that. I personally didn't like the 800 better than the 1000. If I did, then I would have bought the 800 instead. Simple as that. I'll also say it once more, the RTi70 would NOT be any kind of an upgrade over the RT1000i, and anyone who truly believes that it would should check themselves into a local mental health ward and tell the doctors there all about it.
    I'm not going to get baited into going back and forth with someone over this, because frankly, I just don't care enough to spend the time it would take as it's simply not that important to me. This will be my absolute last and final post over the RTi70. There's no room for argument about it, as it's not even open for discussion with me in the first place, because the RTi70 is not even an option to begin with. Period. End of story. There's no way I'll be getting a pair (unless the price dropped down to about $200 for a pair that is), so it's pointless to try to convince me of it's virtues. However, if the rest of you wish, feel free to discuss the 70 all you want to.
    As for me, I want to talk about the RTi150s!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'll also say it once more, the RTi70 would NOT be any kind of an upgrade over the RT1000i, and anyone who truly believes that it would should check themselves into a local mental health ward and tell the doctors there all about it.

We did have this discussion over at HTF and I was right over there, and I'm right at Club Polk, and anywhere else you care to argue it. Your opinion is in the distinct minority among Polk speaker owners.

Ooooh, the thought of trading a second midrange driver for a 35 watt 6.5" subwoofer just gives me the chills. Half the midrange capability and **** bass, all in one fell swoop - pinch me, I must be dreaming. Hell, I wouldn't even need my PB2+ anymore; I could actually make money on this upgrade.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'll say it one more time, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I respect that. I personally didn't like the 800 better than the 1000. If I did, then I would have bought the 800 instead. Simple as that. I'll also say it once more, the RTi70 would NOT be any kind of an upgrade over the RT1000i, and anyone who truly believes that it would should check themselves into a local mental health ward and tell the doctors there all about it.
    I'm not going to get baited into going back and forth with someone over this, because frankly, I just don't care enough to spend the time it would take as it's simply not that important to me. This will be my absolute last and final post over the RTi70. There's no room for argument about it, as it's not even open for discussion with me in the first place, because the RTi70 is not even an option to begin with. Period. End of story. There's no way I'll be getting a pair (unless the price dropped down to about $200 for a pair that is), so it's pointless to try to convince me of it's virtues.

~~ bigsexy, I really, really think you should STRONGLY consider the RTi70. I just want you to think about is some more, just to go over it a little bit more with me before you make your decision. That's all I'm asking, and I will not get into a debate with you on this, period. It's your money, your call, understood, but I am NOT going to get into this with you right now! It's not open for discussion, end of story. I hope you think about the RTi70, just think it over.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Whatever!
    Your last response pretty much confirmed the looney part I was less than subtly referring to in my previous post. Perhaps it touched a nerve, thus provoking your last response.
    I'm not having this argument, you are. I'm not the one trying to convince you that you are wrong. I stated that if you are happy with what you've got, then great. Do you feel so insecure about it that you feel like you have to convince everyone else that what you have is best? Your attitude seems to be that if it's your opinion, then it's got to be right. Case closed. I have stated on more than one occasion that you are entitled to your opinion, but I am just as entitled to mine, aren't I? If yours was the only one that counted, then why does Polk (and other manufacturers) give us all of these choices to begin with instead of just making all of the same model to sell that YOU say is best? I guess Polk ought to hire you, huh?
    I'm really sure that having an unpowered 6.5" inch driver really is a huge, big, dramatic, mind bending, orgasmic, earth shaking, jaw dropping, unbelievable, drastic, night and day kind of difference over having one that is powered.
    I guess next, you're going to tell me how much better the 70s are over the 150s?
    If you are so happy with 70s, 800s or whatever, then why don't you just take the time you are spending here arguing with me about how superior they are and just use it constructively by actually listening to those awesome speakers that you obviously love so much instead? Let's move on to something else. As far as I'm concerned, this 70/800 vs 1000/100 debate is a dead issue.
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    LC, I appreciate your input. However if all I was going to do was get 70s, then I'd just keep what I've got. If you're going to upgrade, then upgrade. If all your doing is at best taking a lateral side step, or worse, a step backwards, then what's the point in the first place? I've decided I'm going to get the 150s on Friday and try them out at home with my Adcoms. I believe they would be a definite upgrade over what I have now, while I can't honestly say that about 70s.
  • tschep20
    tschep20 Posts: 39
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i currently purchased the 150s along with the csi40 and have been very happy so far. i unfortunately only have 100w/ch going to them and i still think they sound excellent. i can't wait to bi-amp them and hear how they sound, but that won't be for a while, cash is low right now

i've listened to dvd-audio, cds, and dvd video and it all sounds great, highs, mids and lows. with the amps you got i bet it will be kickin
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    bigsexy,
    Be sure to let us know how they sound when you get them. Will CC allow you to upgrade to the RTi12 in the future?

Maurice
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Fireshoes, where exactly are you talking about, CC?

It's a regional chain, American TV. As a further update, the RTi12's do not have any orders placed with Polk yet as far as I know, but some of the other new RTi speakers do, and the tentative arrival date is mid-September for them. Keep in mind, that's tentative only - no guarantees.
  • brettw22
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Your attitude seems to be that if it's your opinion, then it's got to be right.
    Really, aren't you pretty much saying the same thing? What kind of reaction did you expect from people when you post something like this:
    I'll also say it once more, the RTi70 would NOT be any kind of an upgrade over the RT1000i, and anyone who truly believes that it would should check themselves into a local mental health ward and tell the doctors there all about it.
    If you're going to want people to respect your opinion, you need to respect theirs.

I don't think that you'd see a "huge, big, dramatic, mind bending, orgasmic, earth shaking, jaw dropping, unbelievable, drastic, night and day kind of difference" with the additional driver, but it's a common sense thing that you would notice an improvement with a speaker utilizing 2 midrange drivers over 1. It's where you put the importance with your system. If you like the emphasis on the bass and not the mids, then you have the right speaker. If you want better, more clarified mids and would be using a seperate sub, then the 70 would do what your current system is doing, but better. Having the 1000's AND a sub is just a waste of money as Doc stated. That's not said to offend you or anyone else. Doubling up on the low end, especially when the tower is going to crap out MUCH earlier than the sub, is a combination that's pretty difficult, if not impossible, to match up evenly.
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have the 150s in my ht with the csi40.2 rti38 for center ch. It sounds great (in my opinion) Also have the rti70 with one csi400 as center ch. I recommend both 70s & 150s with the price cuts !!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • bigsexy1
    edited August 2003
    Options
    brettw22

"quote:
    Your attitude seems to be that if it's your opinion, then it's got to be right.

Really, aren't you pretty much saying the same thing? What kind of reaction did you expect from people when you post something like this:
    quote:
    I'll also say it once more, the RTi70 would NOT be any kind of an upgrade over the RT1000i, and anyone who truly believes that it would should check themselves into a local mental health ward and tell the doctors there all about it."

Brett, go back and look at what else I've wrote:

"I know that there are some on here who like the 70/800 better than the 1000/100, and I respect that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions"

and

"I'll say it one more time, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I respect that."

Now look at what he wrote:

"We did have this discussion over at HTF and I was right over there, and I'm right at Club Polk, and anywhere else you care to argue it. Your opinion is in the distinct minority among Polk speaker owners."

Now, most of all, get this, I have never unequivocally stated that "my way" is what is the absolute best for everybody, as he has. All I have said is that I like what I have better than what he does. I'm not the one trying to convince him that he's wrong. I stated that if he's happy with what he's got, then great.

"If you're going to want people to respect your opinion, you need to respect theirs."

Understand this Brett, I really don't care what anyone thinks of my opinion, and, don't be shocked here, but this also includes you. You know the old saying about opinions are like ****$holes....? Well, it is true you know? Tell me, do you honestly really care about what people on an internet board that you don't know and will never meet think about what you think? If anyone is happy with a certian setup of any kind, then more power to 'em. When you get right down to it, that's all that really matters (or at least it should be, but apparantly isn't). I feel that the 70s aren't for me, now I just can't understand why anyone should have a problem with that. On the other hand, if someone else doesn't like the 1000, then I'm comfortable with that, and I couldn't care less because it doesn't affect or bother me in any way. To each his own.

"I don't think that you'd see a "huge, big, dramatic, mind bending, orgasmic, earth shaking, jaw dropping, unbelievable, drastic, night and day kind of difference" with the additional driver, but it's a common sense thing that you would notice an improvement with a speaker utilizing 2 midrange drivers over 1. It's where you put the importance with your system. If you like the emphasis on the bass and not the mids, then you have the right speaker. If you want better, more clarified mids and would be using a seperate sub, then the 70 would do what your current system is doing, but better. Having the 1000's AND a sub is just a waste of money as Doc stated. That's not said to offend you or anyone else. Doubling up on the low end, especially when the tower is going to crap out MUCH earlier than the sub, is a combination that's pretty difficult, if not impossible, to match up evenly."

Polk made both models to give us the option to buy whichever one each individual liked best as their choice. There is always a flip side to every coin and more than one way to skin a cat. I know I don't have to explain or justify to you or anyone else why I like the 1000 better than the 800, and I really didn't want to get into all of this again, but I will post one more time for the record since I can copy and paste most of it anyway as I've already stated why I like powered towers:
    "I personally like powered towers set to large tuned for music AND having a seperate sub(s) tuned only for movies. When I listen to 2 channel stereo music only, the seperate sub(s) is out of the loop entirely as it doesn't even come on except on movies. What is the best set up/adjustment for one is not always neccesarily the same as the other, and vice versa, so it never hurts anything to have the best of both worlds. There is no such thing as having too much bass, provided that it is set up properly (I hate boomy "rap music on a car stereo" type bass). Plus, powered towers are virtually the same thing as biamping your speakers.
    I have one system with a pair of Infinity IL60s, 2 pairs of IL50s (4 total), plus 2 IL120 subs, all set up with Infinity RABOS system. Thats a total of 8 subwoofers (4 12 inch 500 watts and 4 10 inch 250 watts). Talk about something that will rock your world! Put on Das Boot or U571. You will feel it to the bone!
    As for the LSi25, I would buy it over the 15 in a heartbeat.
    If they are set up and dialed in PROPERLY (key word there which admittedly may take some trial and error), I think it is a great system as opposed to one stand alone sub. Granted, it can be a pain to correctly set up and may take some time and effort to do, but once it's done, the results are well worth it. It's a shame all speaker companies don't have something like Infinity's RABOS system to best optimize your sub(s) for the specific room that it will be in.
    I borrowed the following from Hometheatermag.com that best sizes up powered towers:

"Def Tech unleashed the idea of a powered subwoofer built into a tower speaker with the BP2000. Reviewers and consumers ate up the idea like a hot bratwurst late in the fourth inning. It's definitely convenient. There's no need to find room and run wiring for an extra subwoofer box in your listening room. That alone might have made the idea a bestseller, but, according to Def Tech, the idea really originated as a way to make the speaker sound better. Dual subwoofers (one in the left speaker and one in the right speaker) can provide more-linear bass reproduction throughout the room than a single one can. Since the sub is right there near the tweeter and midbass drivers, there are fewer potential timing or phasing problems. And, since Def Tech knows which subwoofer is going to be used with the mid and upper portions of the main speaker, they can optimize the entire system to take advantage of what each part does best."

Now, compare the 70/800 to the 100/1000. When set to "large" those 2 6 1/2' drivers on the 70/800 are pretty much covering the same frequencies as the 2 6 1/2' drivers in the 100/1000, do they not? Except that the 100/1000 will go a little bit lower. There are pros and cons to everything, and your amp/receiver will have to work harder to power those two drivers in the 70/800 than it will the 100/1000. Whereas with the 100/1000, more amp/receiver power is freed up to power the mids and highs in those passive drivers. Is that not also common sense? Plus, I think it's safe to say that Polk never intended for the 100/1000 to be used as the only subs in a home theater system, but rather as complimentary subs instead. I support this with the fact that if you will just check out the "system builder" on Polk's website, it will recomend a sub in addition to the 100/1000. I will agree that the subs built into the 100/1000 are not really strong enough for movies, but are more than adequate for music. I have mine tailored for music. They don't "boom" and rattle the window blinds. They just subtly fill in the bottom end, more so than the 70/800s ever could, I might add. I extensively auditioned the 1000 vs. the 800s, and I came home with what I liked best. If I liked the 800s better, don't you think I would have gotten them instead? I will also agree that if you have your system set up the way Edward claims to have his, then yes, having powered tower mains would be pointless. I will ask this though, by his logic (speakers bypassed at 90 hz), then what's the point of even having the 70s? You'd just as well have bookshelves then. All I can say is that if you don't like a powered tower, then don't buy them, and please leave the rest of us who do alone about it. If you like the 70s best , then buy them, borrow, steal, whatever. It's as simple and easy as that.

This thread was supposed to be about the 150s, not the 70s. To me, buying a new set of 70s now would be a waste of money. I'll tell you what though, if I concede right now that the 70 is better than the 1000, will that end it? I'll even say that the 70 is better than the 150! How's that? That extra unpowered midrange driver will easily best the 150's 3 woofers! Hell, I'll even go so far as say that 70 is not only the best speaker that Polk has ever made bar none (and that includes the LSis), but that it is the single greatest speaker ever made by any company ever of all time throughout all of history!
    Seriously, you boys enjoy your 70/800s and let me have my 150s when I get them Friday.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Bigsexy - My last post to you was a total joke; I was kidding with you because your post was really funny to me, the adamance you displayed charmed me. Now, being serious, I believe you mentioned that you've got some power amps that you can throw at the 150's? Is so, I say go for those 150's and get it on. Let me know how it sounds, because I'm betting it will be sweet.

The idea of the 70's is to run them with a subwoofer, IMO. I wouldn't want to stack the 100's up against the 70's and a subwoofer; you'd lose in both midrange and bass, substantially so. As Doc said, the 100's are 'compromise' speakers. Good luck with the 150's.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup: