I need you amp guys' opinion on this...

JimAckley
JimAckley Posts: 1,138
edited March 2011 in Electronics
I found this Parasound HCA-2205a on Craigslist by me, and wanted to know if it's at a good price point.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/2226651537.html
- Computer Rig -
YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
Post edited by JimAckley on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2011
    Here's a newer Parasound for comparson

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC5250

I'm not sure if this is a direct update of your model. But the specs are close. If so. 1000 or less wouldn't be a bad price.

I know someone owns one of these. Hopefully they'll chime in.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited March 2011
    Average used on Agon is $1,040. This seems to be in mint condition, so a fair price.
    ..... ><////(*>
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited March 2011
    Very Nice Amp. My favorite HT amp for LSi.

Price is a little high but not unreasonable. If the cosmetics are like new, it may well worth it. But see if you can talk down a little from the asking price.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    This guy is selling on behalf of one of his customers, who said he'll just keep it if he can't get at least 1k for it...

Buy or bye?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • megasat16
    edited March 2011
    Go and Look in person.

Test and listen to it for 15 minutes on all channels at moderate volume.

Put your hands on the heatsink fins to find out if they heat up about the same on all 5 heatsinks (2 on each side and one on the rear).

If it's all good, 1K is a reasonable price. It's neither too high nor a steal. But the upside is you don't have to pay for killer shipping Fees and risk of shipping damage.

If you can ask for Original Box, Original power cord (these 12AWG costs like $50 from parasound), and manual, it makes a hell better deal.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited March 2011
    Changed, I looked it up.

Megasat makes very valid points about shipping and knowing exactly what your getting by being able to see it, test it before buying.
    ..... ><////(*>
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited March 2011
    That is not a bad price.

Here is a 5250 for the same price: http://www.vintagehifipgh.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=705

Though it is not local and you will have some shipping costs on a very heavy amp.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2011
    +1 what Mega said. You will be getting one heck of an amp that will keep you happy for years.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    The only thing that's got me hesitant is that I'd really prefer a 7-channel amp for future expandability. I found this 7-channel B&K Components 7270 mkII on Audiogon. How do you guys think that compares with the Parasound HCA-2205a? Anywhere in the same ballpark? 5-channels would get the job done, but it would also mean buying another amplifier later on down the road.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• megasat16
    edited March 2011
    B&K 7270MKII is also very nice amp. But personally, I would choose 2205A over 7270MKII in a heartbeat, that's coz I know what I like.

But it won't be what you like, so you need to hear them both.

You can use 5 channel amp and buy a better 2 channel amp down the road if extra spending is not your concern. You can get a very nice HT setup that can double function as an excellent 2 channel listening experience as well by using a better 2 channel (or monoblock) amp with the multi-channel amp for HT.

Good Luck with your quest!
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    If you dont mind my prying, what difference(s) make you choose the Para over the B&K? You're right that I haven't heard them. I was hoping to maybe get a listening session in on the Parasound tomorow. I'm going to hang myself from having to unscrew all those freakin wires from my receiver. The back of the elite is a PITA because it's so tight, and I don't have bananas yet.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2011
    I would never worry about the 5.1 to the 7.1. I am sure by that time upgraitis will occur and you'll probably end up with a different fronts and I nice 2chnl amp and so on and so on....
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2011
    Don't listen just buy!! :) j/k. But it looks similar to my 2200ii - if that is the case, I think you'd like it a lot.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    Ugh I just wish the damned thing was local so I could try both of them side by side
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2011
    The 2205 is higher current than the 5250 btw. I have the 2250 as well - the 2205 is going have a little more oomph and be slightly warmer. But the 5250 is newer (non Curl design).
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • JimAckley
    edited March 2011
    The 2205 is 60 amps per channel.

The 7270's manual says "75 amps, peak to peak" (B&K's owner's manual). I have no idea if that's per-channel or overall or what.

I also noticed that the slew rate for the Parasound is about 10x higher than the B&K's. The Para also has twice the dampening factor. I think I've kinda got this figured out :smile:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• megasat16
    edited March 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    If you dont mind my prying, what difference(s) make you choose the Para over the B&K? You're right that I haven't heard them. I was hoping to maybe get a listening session in on the Parasound tomorow. I'm going to hang myself from having to unscrew all those freakin wires from my receiver. The back of the elite is a PITA because it's so tight, and I don't have bananas yet.

I heard both of them with LSi series. I prefer 2205A over many amps and the price for 2205 was right.
  • NewHTguy
    NewHTguy Posts: 584
    edited March 2011
    As a comparison:
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2PAC5250
    FYI, it has full warranty and AA is well known and respected.
    MAIN: Polk Lsi9s; Polk PSW505; Lsic (in box); Onkyo SR-875; Parasound 2250; Cambridge Audio 740C; LG BD370
    OFFICE: Polk Lsi7; REL T3; HK 3490; CA 840W; Onkyo C-S5VL
    BENCHED: CS20; OWM3s
  • dekuda
    dekuda Posts: 756
    edited March 2011
    I have seen two Parsound 2205AT on audiogon. One was near me and was in mint condition. They were both AT versions(cabinet having the newer style) which were newer and the one by me was asking $850 and another one was asking $750. I was keeping a eye on the one near me for $850 and was listed for 13 days before it sold so he may have taken less. I am totaly in love with these older Parasound amps but just did not have the coin to buy the 2205at by me at the time. I would say that you should be able to get a mint one for $800 as the going price nowadays>
    HT System
    Parasound Halo A51 Amp, Marantz AV 8003 Pre, Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player, Marantz 7007 BD/SACD player,Acoustic Zen Matrix IC's, Analysis Plus Crystal Copper Oval IC's, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, B&W 703's Fronts, Center Martin Logan Motif hybrid, Surrounds DefTech BPX, 2 X DefTech Supercube Reference Subs, DSpeaker Antimode 8033 EQ.