Charlotte Polkies

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
edited February 2011 in Gatherings & Special Events
This Tuesday...

Would 3 or 4 of you Charlotteites like to get together for a little get together?

I have beer and speakers...

Speakers on display will be...

My Super Towers (modified), Taylo Reference II (stock), Taylo Monitors (modified)

Will probably start at 8, end around 11....

Thoughts?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited February 2011
    Tuesday?!? Beer on Tuesday?!? I may be willing to drive down, it'd give me a chance to check out your latest edition if you didn't mind.
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited February 2011
    Well, I'm not from Charlotte, but will be traveling there for work this week and would be game, work permitting, if you don't mind an outsider?

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • codyc1ark
    edited February 2011
    No matter what dbaldus, you should enjoy the weather here this week. My mom is still in IA, and its been terrible there, let alone MN.
  • VR3
    edited February 2011
    You two are welcome I'll contact you guys shortly one more up for a mini gathering? Light man will be here
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited February 2011
    Just wanted to point out the Ed sub is not really being utilized very well... But you can definitely get a grasp for it
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2011
    Trey, what are you using as a pre for this?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited February 2011
    The candela, it is fine unless I use the second outs. This is only a spkr gathering, no electronics... Lol
  • treitz3
    edited February 2011
    10-4, this one may be cutting it too close for me. We'll see but I don't think it would be in my best interest to come out there on a work night.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited February 2011
    Guys - I hate to say it... but I think my modified monitors for what is basically a $500.00 set of bookshelves may steal the show!

They are maybe 75% of my super towers but DAMN do they sound huge. I have them cooking now and they are leaps and bounds over stock!

Tom you need to be here!
  • VR3
    edited February 2011
    Alright - here is a gear list...

Tyler Acoustics Super Towers
    Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference II
    Tyler Acoustics Taylo Monitors (Peerless Woofer)
    Tyler Acoustics Decade D3 Tower
    Elemental Designs A3-250
    Preamp - Odyssey Candela
    CD Player- Symphonic Line Klarheit II
    Main Amplifier- Odyssey Stratos/Kismet Extreme Mono Blocks
    Cables - MIT Shotgun S2 (Speaker and Interconnects)

Home Theater -
    Center- Def Tech SM450
    Surrounds- Def Tech SM450
    Center Amplifier- Outlaw M2200
    HT Pre/Rec- Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH

There is a CHANCE** that the Tyler Acoustics PD80 will be here, DOUBT it though.
  • treitz3
    edited February 2011
    Tom you need to be here!
    Oh, don't get your panties in a wad.

A certain Dodd pre keeps following me and I can't shake away from it. :eek:

See you ladies soon.
  • codyc1ark
    edited February 2011
    I guess I'll make the drive down, but I'll leave a little early, I'd like to be home before 11. PM me with your address and phone number and I'll see you about 8!

P.S. I wish we would have planned this sooner, if so I would have been able to bring you a quart of Wilkes counties finest! Maybe next time...
  • VR3
    edited February 2011
    Hey Cody - I just NOW saw this, we were running around up until about 6pm getting things done around here. Definitely next time!

Everything was a blast up until an amp went out!! Oh my!

Ill let the others comment on sound and so forth and all that jazz.

I gotta get up early so my dog can get his balls chopped off!
  • codyc1ark
    edited February 2011
    Lol, I blame myself for waiting untill the last minute. Next time!
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited February 2011
    Trey - thanks for setting this up. It was fun to get to know the Charlotte Polk crew and, of course, to hear those Super Towers of yours - they are definitely a joy to listen to and a nice change from my SDA's.

Very detailed with punchy bass and great instrument separation when compared to my SDA's. Overall, the words "resolution" and "weight" (in reference to the instruments) come to mind.

Of course, I wouldn't mind getting my ears on them again, perhaps with some tunes I'm more familiar with, so let me know when that amp is back in commission (good luck with that, by the way).

Thanks again to Trey, Tom, and Russ for the great hospitality, tunes, and advice (hey, I never said it was sober advice :)). I hope to catch up with all of you again in the future.

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2